Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I know nothing about Dino Bravo, but for what we got I enjoyed it well enough. I do think we could have gotten a little more on Dino and his family, and the time with the mob prior to his death. However, with it being the mob I am not certain how much they actually had or could say. I do appreciate them slowing this episode back down and giving us some more backstory, unlike the Snuka episode.

Man, I knew nothing about Schultz (only 30). That was my favorite episode this season so far

Stossel came off as a real ******* in this. Based on his attitude he got what he deserved, and is lucky he didn't take a bigger pummeling. I read Doctor D's book when it came out a few years ago, it's a pretty good read. The first half was his wrestling career, and the second half was all about his bounty hunting days. Vince really screwed him too by basically telling him to do what he did and then black balling him after.

I came in here to say the same thing, Stossel came off as a giant prick. It's fake therefore I have to expose it!! **** you guy. There is a lot to go after pro-wrestling for, that was not one of them imo.

Edit: Mansfield is a tool too but I understand why he wanted to speak up assuming he was truthful in why he did. There is a lot to be said about the independent contractor/health care issue.
    Last edited by LionsFan..LOL; 05-05-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Stossel's angle of the fans getting cheated because they are being told it's real is beyond ridiculous. Fans have known since the 1920-30's that the outcome is pre-determined. The acting and stories being told inside and outside of the ring, allowing the fans to suspend their disbelief is what drew them in to be entertained.

Bating a guy he's never met before, didn't take a moment to learn about, and then trivialize and attack his way of life and way of earning money. While he doesn't deserve to be assaulted, he shouldn't have been surprised on what he got.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseWithFleas View Post
    Stossel's angle of the fans getting cheated because they are being told it's real is beyond ridiculous. Fans have known since the 1920-30's that the outcome is pre-determined. The acting and stories being told inside and outside of the ring, allowing the fans to suspend their disbelief is what drew them in to be entertained.

Bating a guy he's never met before, didn't take a moment to learn about, and then trivialize and attack his way of life and way of earning money. While he doesn't deserve to be assaulted, he shouldn't have been surprised on what he got.
    To be fair, a lot more people in the 70s and 80s believed wrestling was real or at the very least thought the wrestlers were the people they portrayed on tv. That's why a lot of the super heels in that time used to get death threats. Sure, the storytelling was better but not always. It was a different time period. People didn't have dirt sheets, the IWC didn't exist, fans weren't clued to all the insider terms, etc.

So I get why Stossel did what he did. I get why Mansfield did what he did as well. He's right that the business wanted to be protected but never wanted to protect the guys in it.

Vince is an ******* for telling Schultz to brutalize Stossel and then blackball him when it became some major story. Stossel was stupid to be interviewing wrestlers after attempting to expose the business as well.

That said, you realize a lot of problems in wrestling the last 25 years or so are in some way Vince related.

That makes sense since for the last 25 years wrestling basically = Vince.

I would love to see an entire season of this show dedicated to just Vince McMahon. No way it will ever happen but an entire season of his history would be gold imo.

It is interesting to have what seems like a really good guy be a focus on these episodes for change, which makes what happens to Herb that much sadder. I don't know if it's because I know nothing about his story or if the episode was just not as engaging with their interviewers but I found myself nodding off a bit in the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    It is interesting to have what seems like a really good guy be a focus on these episodes for change, which makes what happens to Herb that much sadder. I don't know if it's because I know nothing about his story or if the episode was just not as engaging with their interviewers but I found myself nodding off a bit in the episode.
    The way Herb died is kind of the selling point of the whole story imo, otherwise he's just another failed wrestling promoter. Another guy promising the world but when it didn't work out, he didn't pay the wrestlers, crew, etc. ****** move when he was apparently worth millions of dollars.

Similar story to Heyman in ECW though in terms of not paying talent and crew.

The last episode about the Road Warriors was really good. I'm maybe a little older than most of you guys (33) so I remember Legion of Doom (when they were in WWF) fairly well. When people talk about best tag teams, that's the standard imo. Sure, there were guys who were better in the ring but few tag teams were as over. Maybe the Outsiders and DX. Those are the only guys who come close.

demolition was really over. That was the tag team of my childhood and was WWEs road warriors when they couldn't get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    demolition was really over. That was the tag team of my childhood and was WWEs road warriors when they couldn't get them.
    For sure. I was never in love with Demolition but those guys were easily the most over tag team in WWF before the Road Warriors came in. Its a shame Demolition aren't in the WWE HOF but I know there are legal issues between one of the members and the company.

if I remember right, they are both on the concussion lawsuit, which is why they haven't been put in yet

I had to snicker, and I'm surprised that vice didn't fact check this, that Paul Ellering said the Legion of Doom was a He-Man thing. Legion of Doom was from the Superfriends cartoon and a Justice League thing. I grew up watching the Superfriends cartoon so I had to do a double take to make sure what they said was what I heard. Oh well, not a big deal but a funny little misstep.

Overall I thought the episode was good. I appreciate them including the Hawk's brothers. I do think it would have been cool if they included James Laurinaitis in the interview to get his perspective on his father and growing up with wrestling.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast