Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Yelich and Brewers nearing $200M+ Extension

Well deserved. Probably could have gotten more on the FA market, once he became a FA. But, would have been risky.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

It's not a bad extension, Yelich obviously gave a discount for getting this big of a promise 3 years before he'd be a free agent, but I think it's a fair deal for both sides on the surface of it.

Getting cost-certainty and the assurance of keeping the best player on the team for a long term is good for the Brewers. Yellich gets guaranteed money and does very well for himself. He might have left some money on the table, but he should be satisfied with the deal.

Cashed in now instead of 3 years away is certainty a smart choice.

Yelich Staying with the Brewers

Through the 2028 season for $228MM. He will give the Crew some cost-certainty and gets financial security for his great-grandchildren.
    Seriously, this is great for both the team and the player. His contract is not an "albatross" for the team, either. He might have left some money on the table, but how much does a person need? No opt-out, no-trade clause.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Getting cost-certainty and the assurance of keeping the best player on the team for a long term is good for the Brewers. Yellich gets guaranteed money and does very well for himself. He might have left some money on the table, but he should be satisfied with the deal.
    When you’re making 200MM, making anything more is pretty redundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

He joins Bobby Bonilla in getting paid every July 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    He joins Bobby Bonilla in getting paid every July 1st.
    Through 2042

Yelich only getting $26M a year, while guys like Machado are getting $30M a year.

I know it was a payment in advance, but it's a serious reduction. And the deferrals make him only $22M per year for the Brewers for a long time.

Super affordable superstar for the Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    When you’re making 200MM, making anything more is pretty redundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know that people say things like this, but it always bothers me.

It is a lot of money, no doubt about it. But you have to remember several things

This money is paid out over 7 years ($188.5M), and has to last him his lifetime.

But let's see what he actually keeps for himself to spend

Federal income taxes - 37% - $70M
    Wisconsin State Income Taxes (he technically pays where he plays, but for the ease of math, let's just use one state) - 7.65% - $14.4M
    Agent - 3% is typical - $5.7M
    Legal/CPA/Professional Fees - 1% or so - $1.9M
    Associated costs with playing professional baseball - travel, off-season training, diet, etc, etc - I've heard varying numbers but players are expected to spend roughly 10% of their earnings on continued work/development - $18.9M
    Players Union pay - $300K

Leaves him with roughly $77.3M to spend over his lifetime (ignoring the pay he has already received)
    If he leaves 60 years, and we assume he can earn at the same rate as inflation, it gives him $1.3M to spend each year for the remainder of his life (little over $100K per month)

Is it redundant for him to make another 20-30%?

I know these sound like big numbers, but they go in a hurry, or can. It won't take much for him to be smart about it, and he's in that elite class with this. But $200M doesn't mean $200M in his pocket, or anywhere close. Players typically net anywhere from 30-40% of the flashy headline contracts.

Agree jeffy. I will never fault a player for chasing the bank. Make your money while you can. I appreciate when guys take a discount for a team I root for, but I'll never blame a guy for not doing it.

That being said, it's a solid deal for both sides. If yelich stays mostly healthy and has a similar level of production, even if it isn't perennial mvp contender type production, he left money on the table. But as a guy who's had some back injuries, locking in the money now as opposed to waiting until after your age 30 season provides a nice certainty. And if he really does love playing in Milwaukee, he gets to stay put and decide where he plays with a no trade clause.