Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Welcome Leon Rose

Didn't seem right posting for his arrival in a Thibs thread:

Post-Berman

The Leon Rose Era has officially begun.

Rose officially took the dive from super-agent to Knicks team president when the club finally made it official Monday morning in a press release.

Rose won’t hold a press conference Monday before the Knicks-Rockets game at the Garden as he wants to ease into the new job in which the franchise is amid a mammoth rebuilding program. Rose will be in attendance – as he was so many times before as an agent for Creative Artists Agency.

Rose, in a letter to fans obtained by The Post, called this “a pivotal time in Knicks history,” said he will “support” interim coach Mike Miller for the rest of the season and said the roster has “significant future assets.”

Rose added why he feels he can be effective coming from a different role in the NBA.

“Having been fortunate enough to be part of professional basketball for more than 25 years, I have had the privilege of helping to shape the careers of many incredible athletes throughout those decades, collaborating with key decision makers and personnel within the basketball universe,” Rose wrote. “In my career as an agent, I experienced the intricacies of the League, player recruitment and most importantly, how to develop relationships, unity and team cohesiveness.

“To be successful in the NBA, you need the best talent, a tireless work ethic, a winning culture and a total commitment to the development of both the individual and the team. I know that the ability to forge solid, productive relationships is what binds all that together.”

Rose made no indication changes are going to be made imminently in the front office or on the coaching staff.

“For the remainder of this season, I will work tirelessly behind the scenes while evaluating every aspect of the organization,” Rose wrote. “Most immediately, we will support Mike Miller, his staff and our team, who have plenty of basketball left to be played this season. I want to thank Mike for his continued leadership and professionalism during this period.”

Rose’s letter seemed in stark contrast with branding manager Steve Stoute’s comments recently about how the club will bring in an new coaching staff next season to develop the young roster.

“Our team has young talent, significant future assets (including seven first round picks over the next four years) and an ample amount of financial flexibility in the coming years,’’ Rose wrote. “Everyone – from ownership to athletes, to staff and especially our fans – wants this team to be a winner. We will have all the resources necessary to create a great organization – one that supports our efforts to build a winning culture and gives Knicks fans, and the city of New York, the team you deserve.”

Rose verbally accepted the job Feb. 6 but needed to clean up loose ends at CAA. He was the agent of Carmelo Anthony, Karl-Anthony Towns, Devin Booker, Joel Embiid and Chris Paul.

“We are pleased to welcome Leon to the New York Knicks as team president, and believe he is the right leader to build a winning organization for our fans,” Knicks owner James Dolan said in the press release. “Leon is one of the most respected executives in professional basketball, with decades of experience successfully working with NBA players and team management in all facets of the game. We are confident he brings the right combination of expertise and relationships to ensure the long-term success of our franchise.”

In the press release, Rose was quoted:

“New York is the epicenter of basketball and Madison Square Garden has always been very special to me,” Rose said in a statement. “To be a part of the Knicks revitalization and basketball at The Garden is a challenge and a rare opportunity, one to be cherished, and I will do my utmost to make the fans, the City and ownership proud. I want to thank Jim Dolan for this opportunity.”

The Cherry Hill, N.J. native will take over for Steve Mills, who was fired nearly a month ago.

Good intro.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post
    Good intro.
    refreshing.

He already won me over. Great to hear someone take the job and tell you exactly what they're about. No more BS, hiding behind closed doors.
    IT'S SHOWTIME!!

Are you guys really impressed that Rose had Steve Stoute and his branding crew write up a few postcards so he can hide from the media in peace?

I understand why they are not throwing him in front of the media - it makes sense and I don't blame them given the lameduck status of our coach and GM - but how can you be impressed with a written intro like that?

The only thing that will impress me is the on the court product so I'll wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Are you guys really impressed that Rose had Steve Stoute and his branding crew write up a few postcards so he can hide from the media in peace?

I understand why they are not throwing him in front of the media - it makes sense and I don't blame them given the lameduck status of our coach and GM - but how can you be impressed with a written intro like that?
    Anything and I mean anything is better than watching Mills and Perry talking on a stage and have a ton of BS come out of their mouths all the time with smirks......

Yes it's a step in the right direction, why get up there and say nothing or just repeat what was given out by the media? Basically to me this meant we don't need to show case, just produce.

Hope that last word comes true.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Anything and I mean anything is better than watching Mills and Perry talking on a stage and have a ton of BS come out of their mouths all the time with smirks......

Yes it's a step in the right direction, why get up there and say nothing or just repeat what was given out by the media? Basically to me this meant we don't need to show case, just produce.

Hope that last word comes true.
    I fully expect and want Rose to have a press conference eventually to actually have to present his philosophy and to some degree his plan to the fans and media like any other new Pres would. I just don't think it's the right time because we all know he's gonna clean house and right now there are people in place who he needs to finish the rest of the year with integrity.

I actually give Mills and Perry credit in that they were up front and transparent about what their plan was. Once it flopped they couldn't hide from it and they got canned. But I think it's important for Rose to tell us if he wants to continue this youth movement, if he wants to let RJ grow into a top gun on this team and will focus on getting him the right support pieces, if he's open to trading our picks, where does he see Randle fitting with this team long term, whether he's willing to sacrifice 2021 cap flexibility or if he's dead set on leaving max FA room open etc...
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 03-02-2020 at 01:41 PM.

My guess is they hide Rose to close out the season, the second the season ends he fires and/or moves Miller to a different role, he fires Perry, and when he hires his guys he will have a presser along with his guys and get to answer all of these questions.

I want to be excited but all I feel right now, trepidation.

Leon Rose preached, "Patience." Well, previous Team Presidents all said the same. Donnie Walsh said the same thing. Grunnie said the same thing. Phil Jackson said the same thing. Steve Mills said the same thing.

Of those previous Team Presidents, it always...ALWAYS started with "patience." Then disappointment in the lottery. Followed by the selling off of assets and premature overpaying/signing of overpriced and/or aging superstars which land the Knicks in cap trouble and zero depth.

The only break in the cycle this time, all the top free agents said, "No Thanks." And that might be a good thing.

Dolan brought Rose in to bring in superstars. He didn't bring him in for his knowledge of college hoop stars, Euro players, and or salary cap management. He was brought in to sell the Knicks to STARS.

I wish Leon the best. I hope he fires EVERYONE. Then, hires Thibs after this season is over. Restore order. The wins will come later.

Fire everyone then hire Thibs to bring in "stars."

Oy.

I don’t care what they say anymore to be honest. Whether they highlight a plan or not, it’s just different variations of what we’ve been fed for the last 20 years.

I’ll wait to see the actual steps taken to turn this team around.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    I don’t care what they say anymore to be honest. Whether they highlight a plan or not, it’s just different variations of what we’ve been fed for the last 20 years.

I’ll wait to see the actual steps taken to turn this team around.
    Agreed, already not a good sign that he hides behind a written statement, but lets see what he does.
    `

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast