Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    we could get more for vor in a trade over JVR... Id use it on JVR... i hope we can save it though which i doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Couts is likely to be the highest paid flyer. Think like 7 years 60 million.

G hopefully would take a slight decrease on his extention. Hopefully 3 years 18 million to help offset the couturier price.
    hopefully we get more elc guys by then. Guys like hart, sanheim, patrick, myers are going to get paid.

also how unlucky is it that we cant get a 2nd overall in deep drafts like this? Absolute bs. I hope patrick can turn into a minny version of couts.. aand frost a minny giroux. I always read how great out prospect pool is...i think we overrate it right now. Besides frost we aren't going to get much help for a while. Brink, york, and zamula are 1-3 years away. All are probably going to need 2-3 maybe

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    also how unlucky is it that we cant get a 2nd overall in deep drafts like this? Absolute bs. I hope patrick can turn into a minny version of couts.. aand frost a minny giroux. I always read how great out prospect pool is...i think we overrate it right now. Besides frost we aren't going to get much help for a while. Brink, york, and zamula are 1-3 years away. All are probably going to need 2-3 maybe
    I agree. But it is also ammo to trade for a big piece to a rebuilding org or one that needs a lot of bottom 6 depth at a reasonable price because they have high end skill guys and canít spend 60% of their cap on 6 guys (Winnipeg)

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I agree. But it is also ammo to trade for a big piece to a rebuilding org or one that needs a lot of bottom 6 depth at a reasonable price because they have high end skill guys and canít spend 60% of their cap on 6 guys (Winnipeg)
    at some point we will probably make trades like the pens/tampa/bruins. I guess the good thing is we can trades future firsts away and still have brink, zamula, york in the farm. York and zamula i would keep, both look like they can be studs for us. Anyone else I won't hesitate to trade (im already assuming frost is up with us next year).

how is everything in philly? They have closed off access to some of the beaches here in socal.

yes. finally. I cannot believe it has taken almost 5+ years to get a decent bottom 6. That is pretty crazy. We were lacking there for so long. I cringe at all of those names.
    it's amazing what leadership is capable of when they spend fewer than 363 days in hibernation every year.
    it was always kind of overrated because hextall kept sanheim and myers in the AHL for extra years, and once they graduated (along with hart), there wasn't anything of similar quality to replace them.

because most teams tend to promote players when they're good enough to play in the NHL, their farm system ratings tend not to include their best prospects for more than a year or two. otoh, our ranking included sanheim and myers for 4 years, and so we "looked" better in comparison, without actually being that much better.

i keep going back to the 2016 draft as a turning point. we came off an unexpected playoff run with a strong core of players in their prime, having just gotten out of salary cap purgatory by dumping VLC, pronger and umberger, and then we spent the summer doing nothing aside from sign dale weise.

even that may have been okay if we had nailed the draft...but instead we bricked on our two highest picks (both rubtsov and laberge have been injury magnets), 5 of the other 8 haven't played an AHL game yet and 2 of the last 3 are chris vandevelde clones. the other guy we got in the 2nd round seems pretty decent, but everything else from that summer is a sucking chest wound.

instead of putting his foot on the accelerator (or selling high on streit and simmonds, then building around couturier, konecny, schenn, ghost, provorov, sanheim, myers), hextall did nothing and wound up setting us back 3 years.

in the 12 months between draft days 2016 and 2017, hextall acquired dale weise, boyd gordon, valtteri filppula and jori lehtera.
    Last edited by steagles; 03-31-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    how is everything in philly? They have closed off access to some of the beaches here in socal.
    Virginia is on lockdown until JUN 10. If I wasn't such an introvert, I'd probably be going crazy. On an unrelated note, they have blocked PSD at work as a "gambling site" which sucks. I used this as a nice general repository for news articles without having to hunt for them lol
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

super super bored....so does anyone wanna talk about what the top 10 will look like in the 2020 draft?

I'd actually watch basketball right now and I can't stand it. Even golf or curling. This sucks, at least I still have to go to work.

Trying to come up with an exercise that can give us a bit of entertainment during these times. So far the best I got is:

If the Flyers name was an acronym, what would it stand for?

Ill start with mine

F'ing
    Lets
    You
    Experience
    Real
    Suffering
    "2008 WORLD ****ING CHAMPIONS"

Anyone else breaking out the hockey sauce kit in their hallways? Asking for a friend....

okay getting back to something i wanted to talk about:

what will this team have to look like in order to win a cup?

we're ahead of schedule, right? compared to what was expected when the season started, we're closer to that point.

so, what are the next steps? how do those steps get us closer to winning the cup?

i'm just gonna throw those questions out for now, and i'll come back to provide my own answers... soon.

okay, so let's start here:

i know some people want an elite goal scorer (laine), but i consider that role to be adequately filled by giroux (and maybe even konecny). they're not quite at that elite level, but they're close enough that i don't consider it a need for this team right now.

the next question is what the **** is happening with our young forwards? let's just run down the list:

patrick -> DNP - post-concussion syndrome
    lindblom -> out for season - cancer.
    farabee -> some bad luck early (dammit hayes, drag your skate), but he also faded noticeably as the season went on.
    frost -> never given the chance to make a real impact, but he also wasn't able to force his way into the lineup by playing better than everyone else.

i know this will sound pessimistic, but i don't think you can rely on any of them to fill top-9 roles next season.

that's....not good.

so the way i see it, there are two general paths for the forward corps:

-> patient rebuilding.
    -> hit the accelerator and leave the kids behind.

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast