Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 641
  1. #601
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,606
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Ok, you are out of your mind then. Kalynuk was a good depth prospect with a chance of developing into a bottom pairing defender, but let's not over exaggerate the significance of this loss.

    The reality it that as deep as the Flyers are at the bottom of the roster that Kalynuk likely saw the writing on the wall and signed with an organization where there was a better opportunity to play his way on to the roster.

    This doesn't mean that Fletcher doesn't deserve any blame because he absolutely deserves plenty of blame. As GM he has to realize the reality of the situation and at the very least trade his rights for a draft pick much in the same way Hextall was able to get a pick for Marody with nowhere for Marody to crack his way on to the roster.

    It's a loss yes, but let's lay the blame at the feet of the man who is at fault and let's not make Kalynuk out to be something he isn't.
    Castan gets emotional sometimes and says crazy things, give em a break lol

    Castan, you really can't like Kal as much as York right? I mean, did you see what he does to teams? He is pretty much a surefire top 4 dman in the NHL...He is one of those cerebral level players.

    Steagles, I'm not disagreeing with you that it's disappointing, and I'm even willing to say it would be a warning sign to some extent, but my point is that we don't have enough facts to make that assessment right now. We are all operating on hypotheticals. I would have loved to get something for Kal, but we don't know if he was shopped or if there was some odd circumstance that prevented us from having leverage to obtain anything in a trade. I think you can at least meet me there and agree on that right?

    What do you all think happens if/when someone gets tested positive after playing in 5 games or so and both teams have to quarantine? Do they eliminate both teams? Do they stop the season and call it dead?

  2. #602
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,212
    The reality it that as deep as the Flyers are at the bottom of the roster that Kalynuk likely saw the writing on the wall and signed with an organization where there was a better opportunity to play his way on to the roster.
    there are a few problems with this line.

    firstly, that's not how athletes think. "i'm just not as good as tj brennan" is not a thought that goes through the mind of anyone with professional aspirations.

    secondly, what exactly does "better opportunity" mean? it would mean he doesn't think the organization believes in him, or would not give him a fair chance to compete for a spot. it reflects either a lack of communication between him and the flyers, or an unacceptably dismissive attitude conveyed of his talent by the flyers.


    if a player thinks an organization believes in them, they're not going to walk away like this.

  3. #603
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,004
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    there are a few problems with this line.

    firstly, that's not how athletes think. "i'm just not as good as tj brennan" is not a thought that goes through the mind of anyone with professional aspirations.

    secondly, what exactly does "better opportunity" mean? it would mean he doesn't think the organization believes in him, or would not give him a fair chance to compete for a spot. it reflects either a lack of communication between him and the flyers, or an unacceptably dismissive attitude conveyed of his talent by the flyers.


    if a player thinks an organization believes in them, they're not going to walk away like this.
    Athletes absolutely think like this just like anyone else in any profession thinks along these lines. If you aren't looking for the best opportunity for you to succeed, then what are you doing with your life? Clearly he was not a priority prospect in the organization and he knew it was going to be a long and hard road to the NHL if he stayed with the Flyers. It's not difficult to come to the conclusion that there are better opportunities out there for Kalynuk outside of Philly if we can easily come to that conclusion. Still doesn't excuse Fletcher for not getting compensation.

  4. #604
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,212
    What do you all think happens if/when someone gets tested positive after playing in 5 games or so and both teams have to quarantine? Do they eliminate both teams? Do they stop the season and call it dead?
    there's a good reason why no sports league has announced their intentions for when something like this happens.


    everything will just shut down.

  5. #605
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,587
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Ok, you are out of your mind then. Kalynuk was a good depth prospect with a chance of developing into a bottom pairing defender, but let's not over exaggerate the significance of this loss.

    The reality it that as deep as the Flyers are at the bottom of the roster that Kalynuk likely saw the writing on the wall and signed with an organization where there was a better opportunity to play his way on to the roster.

    This doesn't mean that Fletcher doesn't deserve any blame because he absolutely deserves plenty of blame. As GM he has to realize the reality of the situation and at the very least trade his rights for a draft pick much in the same way Hextall was able to get a pick for Marody with nowhere for Marody to crack his way on to the roster.

    It's a loss yes, but let's lay the blame at the feet of the man who is at fault and let's not make Kalynuk out to be something he isn't.
    the situation is different though. I think hextall traded marody because he knew that 1. he didn't believe marody was going to work out with the flyers 2. he tried to negotiate and it just wasn't going to work out or 3. the offer came and it was just too good to pass (and it was). Fletcher probably wanted to sign him and it just didn't work out for all we know..and i think the reason you stated was concerning for kalynuk. Loads of college players are doing this now. Can't just blame a gm without knowning what actually went down.

  6. #606
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,587
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    What do you all think happens if/when someone gets tested positive after playing in 5 games or so and both teams have to quarantine? Do they eliminate both teams? Do they stop the season and call it dead?
    im honeslty over this season. Call it dead and do a redraft..

    Don't get me wrong, I am exctied to finally see some hockey but the draft was so bad I would rather they just redo everything. As for the playoffs, I feel like somsone will get tested positive and something will be ruined.

  7. #607
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,587
    Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    if a player thinks an organization believes in them, they're not going to walk away like this.
    I am 100% sure that big name college prospects that leave their drafted team aren't walking away because the OG organization "doesn't believe in them". There are so many factors that come into play. Take hayes and vesey..both college standouts that left to go play somewhere else because of location and opportunity. I highly doubt their OG teams weren't interested in a hobey baker..

  8. #608
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,262
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Castan gets emotional sometimes and says crazy things, give em a break lol

    Castan, you really can't like Kal as much as York right? I mean, did you see what he does to teams? He is pretty much a surefire top 4 dman in the NHL...He is one of those cerebral level players.

    Steagles, I'm not disagreeing with you that it's disappointing, and I'm even willing to say it would be a warning sign to some extent, but my point is that we don't have enough facts to make that assessment right now. We are all operating on hypotheticals. I would have loved to get something for Kal, but we don't know if he was shopped or if there was some odd circumstance that prevented us from having leverage to obtain anything in a trade. I think you can at least meet me there and agree on that right?

    What do you all think happens if/when someone gets tested positive after playing in 5 games or so and both teams have to quarantine? Do they eliminate both teams? Do they stop the season and call it dead?
    I think York’s development needs have been destroyed by Covid, especially because college players are not going to have a season. Kalynuk turned pro and has very comparable speed and shot, he has a 23 year old’s size and I prefer his game. I’m entitled to think he will be good. I also wasn’t a fan of the York pick

    That being said ... some Habs players just tested positive for Covid ... so ... I doubt this season happens and I doubt next season starts on time.

  9. #609
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,212
    Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins
    The Pittsburgh Penguins will be voluntarily sidelining nine players from their training camp roster due to potential secondary exposure to an individual who had contact with a person that has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. (1 of 3)

    The team learned of the possible secondary exposure on Sunday, July 12. The decision to isolate this group of players was made out of an abundance of caution in an effort to avoid exposure to anyone else within the organization. (2 of 3)

    The nine players will not participate until they are deemed safe in accordance with NHL protocol and further test results. (3 of 3)
    sources.

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,606
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    I think York’s development needs have been destroyed by Covid, especially because college players are not going to have a season. Kalynuk turned pro and has very comparable speed and shot, he has a 23 year old’s size and I prefer his game. I’m entitled to think he will be good. I also wasn’t a fan of the York pick

    That being said ... some Habs players just tested positive for Covid ... so ... I doubt this season happens and I doubt next season starts on time.
    Yeah, you are entitled to that thought/opinion. It's just a ton of conjecture on your part if COVID development disruption is your basis/reason. Their speed may be close (still York with the upperhand) and I completely disagree on the shoot. Also defensive awareness, play without the puck, passing, release, edges/skating, hockey smarts, ice vision, etc. are all heavily in favor or York. The 19 year old York is already leaps and bounds better than the current version of the 23 year old Kalynuk...at least in my opinion.

    Also, Friedman just signed a 2 year deal (one way contract)....Seems like he is in the future plans of the Flyers...and Kal wasn't :P

    Zamula is at Flyers camp right now...interesting.
    Last edited by LLMunchie619; 07-13-2020 at 09:12 PM.

  11. #611
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,587
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Also, Friedman just signed a 2 year deal (one way contract)....Seems like he is in the future plans of the Flyers...and Kal wasn't :P

    Zamula is at Flyers camp right now...interesting.
    interesting to see what they want to do next year. I think this means braun isn't coming back (i am ok with that and didn't want a braun multi year deal). However, this means more hagg probably.

    provorov-nisk
    sanheim-myers
    ghost-hagg/freidman

  12. #612
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,262
    No Nolan Patrick on the roster.

  13. #613
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,587
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    No Nolan Patrick on the roster.
    no suprise there. We have had 0 updates on him. Still stand behind lindblom playing before him. Such a wasted opportunity to make that 2nd pick someone who can rejuvenate the roster

  14. #614
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,004
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Yeah, you are entitled to that thought/opinion. It's just a ton of conjecture on your part if COVID development disruption is your basis/reason. Their speed may be close (still York with the upperhand) and I completely disagree on the shoot. Also defensive awareness, play without the puck, passing, release, edges/skating, hockey smarts, ice vision, etc. are all heavily in favor or York. The 19 year old York is already leaps and bounds better than the current version of the 23 year old Kalynuk...at least in my opinion.

    Also, Friedman just signed a 2 year deal (one way contract)....Seems like he is in the future plans of the Flyers...and Kal wasn't :P

    Zamula is at Flyers camp right now...interesting.
    Hard to take anyone seriously that is legitimately trying to argue Kalynuk is a better prospect than York. York is a top 50 prospect not in the NHL right now, Kalynuk MIGHT develop into a bottom pairing defender. They aren't comparable.

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,606
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Hard to take anyone seriously that is legitimately trying to argue Kalynuk is a better prospect than York. York is a top 50 prospect not in the NHL right now, Kalynuk MIGHT develop into a bottom pairing defender. They aren't comparable.
    Yeah, part of me really hopes that Castan isn't serious....I mean you can't be right?

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •