Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft

wouldn't mind bringing back Perry Jones for a look but he hasn't exactly been dominant in Turkey looking at his stats

Celtics should just work the Thunder into the fold for the Hayward S&T and we can grab Ariza's expiring contract with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CELTICS4LYFE View Post
    I think our need is a 2/3 wing right now, the only depth we have there is Langford and Nesmith. Which Langford is in a cast still. Heild would be nice but maybe a bit of a stretch. A nice Vet signing there would be nice instead of relying on the 2 kids.

I think Grant will get more playing time this year as the back up 4
    There’s no “need” for a 2/3. Yes Nesmith and Langford I have pegged off the bench for those positions. But Brown is a natural 2. Smart is a 2. And Tatum is a natural 3 but will be playing a lot of 4 BECAUSE we don’t have a good option there.

2/3 wing is literally our deepest position.

We have no true PF or stretch 4 on this roster outside of Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye. This is the position of need.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Smart being the leader of the team. The best talent on a team doesn't necessarily make for the best leader... just look at the Rockets with Harden, and the Knicks with Carmelo. The reason that Smart and Jaylen probably butted heads because Smart was furious that the team just basically **** the bed and expected everyone else to be upset about it but instead the team was acting like a bunch of weak losers and he wasn't having it. Jaylen probably told him to calm down instead of just saying "you are right, we all ****ing **** the bed".

Most championship teams either have fiery leaders or a straight alpha takeover type of player. This team certainly doesn't have that yet even with Tatum showing some of that promise, but let's face the reality outside of becoming the next Pistons defensive shock championship team, we're not going to see any rings until we acquire another true #1 because neither Jaylen nor Kemba are even close to that.

Replying to you and Oakmont:

You're basically arguing that Smart is Draymond Green, Tatum/Brown are Curry/Thompson. Okay for non-best player to assume leadership role -- no conflicts.

The problem is Smart is a shooter --> is settling into his prime --> wants to be taking big shots at big spots --> is longest tenured Celtic (paid his dues/knows the franchise) --> conflates his shooting and leadership role --> which hurts development of JT and JB (more Brown).

More overlap between Smart and JT/JB than Draymond SC/KT. If there's a deal to be made to include Smart I would.

PSD article proposed (I would do this, but like Langford):
    Boston Celtics Receive: Rudy Gobert
    Utah Jazz Receive: Marcus Smart, Romeo Langford, Daniel Theis, Grant Williams

Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    Replying to you and Oakmont:

You're basically arguing that Smart is Draymond Green, Tatum/Brown are Curry/Thompson. Okay for non-best player to assume leadership role -- no conflicts.

The problem is Smart is a shooter --> is settling into his prime --> wants to be taking big shots at big spots --> is longest tenured Celtic (paid his dues/knows the franchise) --> conflates his shooting and leadership role --> which hurts development of JT and JB (more Brown).

More overlap between Smart and JT/JB than Draymond SC/KT. If there's a deal to be made to include Smart I would.

PSD article proposed (I would do this, but like Langford):
    Boston Celtics Receive: Rudy Gobert
    Utah Jazz Receive: Marcus Smart, Romeo Langford, Daniel Theis, Grant Williams
    I think my Raptors comp is closer than your GS comp. Granted if the GS comp came to fruition I certainly would not complain.

Smart is not a shooter. He does shoot, and has gotten better. The Celtics are a better team when he’s on the court. And they’re even better when he starts. I also think inserting him into the starting lineup clears up 2 issues.

1. The ego issue. Instead of tying his ego to shots and scoring like he does now (because he’s playing second string) he ties it to starting and filling the role needed. 2. Shooting/scoring. When he comes off the bench and there’s no other “go to guy” - Smart takes over. That’s no good. But when he’s playing along side Kemba, Tatum and Brown he’s the 4th option. He shoots less and his selection is much better.

I certainly wouldn’t shy away from dealing Smart if the return was a legitimate piece. But I’m not looking to deal him just to deal him. I hate the Gobert trade. Gobert right now is the better player but not by much. A 7+ foot big nearing his 30’s - not something I’m looking to trade my starting C, starting SG, and 2 young second year players with upside for. Gobert may have 2-3 good productive years left but that’s it. I don’t want to sign up for that. I also don’t see the fit in Brads system. We’re better now than with that trade. And going forward we have much more upside.

Tatum/Brown enter their primes in 2 years. We need to be making moves to solidify the team for 2 years from now and sustain it for 2-4 years after. Gobert doesn’t do that. Smart still fits in that timeframe

yeah, Gobert is going to have more and more injury issues down the line too. He's hitting the 30s and huge... that means the joints and back start having issues and probably gains some weight. On top of that, he'll get slower too, which hurts the team in terms of transition defense and offense.

I agree with Oakmont about Smart in the starting lineup, but regardless if he's starter or sixth man, the good thing is with Nesmith, Teague, a more experienced Langford, both Williamses, and Pritchard we should have more reliable scorers where Smart will feel more comfortable deferring on offense. Overall at least in the playoffs, Smart did not take too many bad shots... if anything Tatum was much worse in his shot selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I think my Raptors comp is closer than your GS comp. Granted if the GS comp came to fruition I certainly would not complain.

Smart is not a shooter. He does shoot, and has gotten better. The Celtics are a better team when he’s on the court. And they’re even better when he starts. I also think inserting him into the starting lineup clears up 2 issues.

1. The ego issue. Instead of tying his ego to shots and scoring like he does now (because he’s playing second string) he ties it to starting and filling the role needed. 2. Shooting/scoring. When he comes off the bench and there’s no other “go to guy” - Smart takes over. That’s no good. But when he’s playing along side Kemba, Tatum and Brown he’s the 4th option. He shoots less and his selection is much better.

I certainly wouldn’t shy away from dealing Smart if the return was a legitimate piece. But I’m not looking to deal him just to deal him. I hate the Gobert trade. Gobert right now is the better player but not by much. A 7+ foot big nearing his 30’s - not something I’m looking to trade my starting C, starting SG, and 2 young second year players with upside for. Gobert may have 2-3 good productive years left but that’s it. I don’t want to sign up for that. I also don’t see the fit in Brads system. We’re better now than with that trade. And going forward we have much more upside.

Tatum/Brown enter their primes in 2 years. We need to be making moves to solidify the team for 2 years from now and sustain it for 2-4 years after. Gobert doesn’t do that. Smart still fits in that timeframe
    Fair to say Gobert doesn't make long-term sense (he's declining in 2 years while JT/JB peak) but I'm arguing that moving Smart helps the development of Brown and Tatum. First in the locker room sense: Smart is like the upper classman who needs to constantly remind lower grades of the pecking order. I want that pecking order disrupted with the 2 best young players given the keys.

Even after Kyrie left, there's still something about the roster that needs to be shaken up. Maybe Hayward helps but I really just not a big Smart guy.

So if we end up with a 20-30m TPE.....who would be a good target?

So if we end up with a 20-30m TPE.....who would be a good target?
    Giannis lol

I know everyone is focused on the big TPE we might get from Hayward.....but did we get a couple smaller ones from the Kanter/poirer trades or no?

Those could be very valuable to add a vet come trade deadline

Celtics starting 5 easily

PG- Kemba Walker
    SG- Marcus Smart
    SF- Jaylen Brown
    PF- Jayson Tatum
    C- Tristan Thompson

Expecting an announcement today for the Hayward trade

Expecting an announcement today for the Hayward trade
    Charlotte Hornets President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Mitch Kupchak announced today that the team has acquired forward Gordon Hayward, a 2023 and 2024 second-round draft pick from the Boston Celtics in exchange for a protected 2022 second-round draft pick as part of a sign-and-trade transaction between the two teams. 54 seconds ago – via NBA.com

Bobby Marks: The $27.9M trade exception that Boston has created is the largest in league history. 56 seconds ago – via Twitter BobbyMarks42

And as is usually the case when the Celtics don’t turn a highly publicized rumor into a reality, we’re getting a reason why that deal never went through. According to ESPN’s Zach Lowe, the Celtics were never really that high on Turner. Boston apparently didn’t see him as a very big upgrade to their frontcourt, and was even exploring other deals to trade Turner had the deal with Indiana come to fruition. “Talking to people and reading the tea leaves as best I could, it really comes down to the Celtics didn’t want Myles Turner,” Lowe said on The Lowe Post Podcast. “I did hear from some teams around the league that the Celtics have done some preliminary research on what Myles Turner’s trade value would have been to them had they acquired him either in this deal or in a separate deal, and obviously didn’t like what they saw.” 3 days ago – via CBS Boston @ CBS Local

Let’s go! Now we will be in every trade rumor till next year lol

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast