Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft

Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Thompson as our starting 5...I love it

Well the road getting there had some twist and turns but we addressed our biggest needs this past week.

1. Big man - Thompson, doesnt stretch the floor much but a great rebounder and defender with championship experience.

2. Back up PG - Teague, seasoned NBA vet. Having him running the point off the bench will be a huge upgrade over Wannamaker. Also can start if Kemba knee acts up/gets rest days.

3. Bench scoring -
    Nesmith/Pritchard/Teague. Still would like to add another vet here but getting the best shooter in the draft and a kid who was knocking down NBA distance 3s in college is a good boost. Teague isnt a sharpshooter but knows how to score and run an NBA offense(my biggest knock on Wannamaker)

Locking up Tatum is great!

Hayward leaving I feel will be addition by subtraction. I dont feel like teammates trusted him much on the floor and he was more of a distraction to the team.

Love the guys we drafted in the 1st round. Couple of really great shooters! Would have been nice to trade up but the opportunity was not there.
    El Presidente

outside of adding another true #1 which won't be happening this offseason, the only upgrade the C's should address is a good backup athletic stretch 3/4 type that can get some buckets when Tatum is sitting.

Celtics were talking to Bazemore earlier before he decided to join the W's. Markieff Morris is still available. Gerald Green might be able to fill the role too.

Good discipline not acquiring fillers to get something for Hayward IMO. Like the the Teague and Thompson moves. Wish they could shed the Kemba contract and unload Smart - but no chance.

A healthy Robert Williams @ 23-26 MPG X 70 + playoffs would be like adding a lotto pick.

Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    Good discipline not acquiring fillers to get something for Hayward IMO. Like the the Teague and Thompson moves. Wish they could shed the Kemba contract and unload Smart - but no chance.

A healthy Robert Williams @ 23-26 MPG X 70 + playoffs would be like adding a lotto pick.
    Not taking back useless contracts for Hayward was definitely a win that nobody is talking about. I think with the Turner rumors everyone was over valuing the player Turner is and were willing to take crap back to do so (Lamb, McDermott) no thanks. Would much rather Hayward go to Charlotte for nothing. Im ok with it.

Teague and Thompson fit great off the bench. Solid moves there. Underrated.

I would have been ok with ditching Kembas contract but not for nothing. I think he adds a lot to the locker room. Im aware $30m a year for locker room purposes is ridiculous but when he does play and is healthy he is still a net positive on the court

Smarts contract is great and hes not going anywhere. Not sure why youd want to ditch him

Id be shocked if Rob plays anywhere near 23 minutes a night. He is still a very one dimensional player.

City of Champions

We just need to add a good wing piece now.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson would be nice as a FA or see what we get from/with TPE if we do the S&T for Hayward

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Not taking back useless contracts for Hayward was definitely a win that nobody is talking about. I think with the Turner rumors everyone was over valuing the player Turner is and were willing to take crap back to do so (Lamb, McDermott) no thanks. Would much rather Hayward go to Charlotte for nothing. Im ok with it.

Teague and Thompson fit great off the bench. Solid moves there. Underrated.

I would have been ok with ditching Kembas contract but not for nothing. I think he adds a lot to the locker room. Im aware $30m a year for locker room purposes is ridiculous but when he does play and is healthy he is still a net positive on the court

Smarts contract is great and hes not going anywhere. Not sure why youd want to ditch him

Id be shocked if Rob plays anywhere near 23 minutes a night. He is still a very one dimensional player.
    Smart is a fine player with the obvious intangibles, keeps improving each year. But he seems to think JT & KB are his kid brothers, he's the lead alpha they're his mentees. Which is a makeup problem that has to change for this to become a championship team. Smart is the longest tenured Celtic -> fan favorite -> been under Brad for aa while. That dynamic isn't going to change naturally.

Maybe not so much Tatum vs. Smart, but certainly Jaylen and Smart. Kemba will step back as he gets older, Smart I don't see him accepting that role player role. And frankly with Stevens' team ball it empowers someone like Marcus to think he's the leader.

Smart is a fine player with the obvious intangibles, keeps improving each year. But he seems to think JT & KB are his kid brothers, he's the lead alpha they're his mentees. Which is a makeup problem that has to change for this to become a championship team. Smart is the longest tenured Celtic -> fan favorite -> been under Brad for aa while. That dynamic isn't going to change naturally.

Maybe not so much Tatum vs. Smart, but certainly Jaylen and Smart. Kemba will step back as he gets older, Smart I don't see him accepting that role player role. And frankly with Stevens' team ball it empowers someone like Marcus to think he's the leader.
    There's nothing wrong with Smart being the leader of the team. The best talent on a team doesn't necessarily make for the best leader... just look at the Rockets with Harden, and the Knicks with Carmelo. The reason that Smart and Jaylen probably butted heads because Smart was furious that the team just basically **** the bed and expected everyone else to be upset about it but instead the team was acting like a bunch of weak losers and he wasn't having it. Jaylen probably told him to calm down instead of just saying "you are right, we all ****ing **** the bed".

Most championship teams either have fiery leaders or a straight alpha takeover type of player. This team certainly doesn't have that yet even with Tatum showing some of that promise, but let's face the reality outside of becoming the next Pistons defensive shock championship team, we're not going to see any rings until we acquire another true #1 because neither Jaylen nor Kemba are even close to that.

Completely disagree that Smart as a leader cant work. Tatum is definitely not the outspoken leader type. He seems resigned to lead with his play on the court which is fine by me. The dynamic reminds me a lot of the Toronto Raptors when they had Kawhi. Kawhi, like Tatum, is not the most outspoken leader but his play speaks for itself on the court. Everyone on the court recognizes their talent.

Smart is Lowry. Very similar players. Underdog mentality and live on hustle plays and energy and the big moment.

JB is Siakam. Talented guys that were very raw but have put the work in to improve their skill. I do think JB is more outspoken than Siakam but I still think the comparison works.

These guys all have their roles to play. Tatum is the go to guy. Smart is the heart/outspoken leader. JB is the JOAT. Always there for whatever you need from him, scoring/D/hustle - whatever the moment requires. A true #2 that can fill in however needed.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Completely disagree that Smart as a leader cant work. Tatum is definitely not the outspoken leader type. He seems resigned to lead with his play on the court which is fine by me. The dynamic reminds me a lot of the Toronto Raptors when they had Kawhi. Kawhi, like Tatum, is not the most outspoken leader but his play speaks for itself on the court. Everyone on the court recognizes their talent.

Smart is Lowry. Very similar players. Underdog mentality and live on hustle plays and energy and the big moment.

JB is Siakam. Talented guys that were very raw but have put the work in to improve their skill. I do think JB is more outspoken than Siakam but I still think the comparison works.

These guys all have their roles to play. Tatum is the go to guy. Smart is the heart/outspoken leader. JB is the JOAT. Always there for whatever you need from him, scoring/D/hustle - whatever the moment requires. A true #2 that can fill in however needed.
    Agreed, I think with the Hayward distraction off the team they will finally start to gel and fill their roles.

Hmmm if we get a tpe and the Kings match Bogdonovic offer....what yall think of Buddy Hield? I think his contract is bad but would be a great fit .....or might just create the same wing logjam as Hayward lol

Quote Originally Posted by CELTICS4LYFE View Post
    Hmmm if we get a tpe and the Kings match Bogdonovic offer....what yall think of Buddy Hield? I think his contract is bad but would be a great fit .....or might just create the same wing logjam as Hayward lol
    I don't really see the need to add a guy like Hield. He would just take minutes away from Nesmith as they're similar players.

If we do add a wing, I'd like it to be in the stretch 4 mold, not so much the SG mold...I think with Langford (if healthy) and Nesmith we should be good there.

At the stretch 4 we have Semi Ojeleye and Grant Williams. They're ok. I like Grant more than Semi at this point. But all together this is one area I really think we should look to improve at. Preferably a bigger wing who can score efficiently.

City of Champions

Then which power forwards or centers can we go after

I think our need is a 2/3 wing right now, the only depth we have there is Langford and Nesmith. Which Langford is in a cast still. Heild would be nice but maybe a bit of a stretch. A nice Vet signing there would be nice instead of relying on the 2 kids.

I think Grant will get more playing time this year as the back up 4

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast