Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draft

2020 Offseason - Draft - FA - Trade Talk

Memphis is doing fairly well this season so we should end up with 3 1st in the next draft. Our own, Memphis and Milwaukee. Looking ahead who should be target? Package deal to move up?
    Last edited by CELTICS4LYFE; 09-29-2020 at 12:28 PM.

As things currently stands, we're projected to have picks #17, #26, #30 and #46.

Draft seems weak at the top but good role players throughout. 3 picks in the back half of the 1st can be kind of tough roster management wise but relatively speaking I think this figures to be as good a year to have that many picks.

I think the draft board bodes well for us if we want to move up. We traded #20 to PHI last year for #24 and #33, as an example. I could see us making a move up like that either with #26 and #30 to try and get back into the top 20, or for #17 with #26 and/or #30 to try and get into the lottery. I think both scenarios are feasible this year.

Any huge Jaylen Brown fans might want to stay off rumor sites. With the relative weakness at the top of the draft, I expect there to be talks of teams reaching out to us for Jaylen instead of gambling on the rookie crop. There are two bigs at the top of the draft that I think profile really well here - James Wiseman and Onyeka Okongwu. If Ainge really believes in one of them I could see him being open to scenarios with Brown. Would involve Smart taking over for Brown in the starting lineup. I think deal would end up being: Jaylen Brown + #17 pick for high lottery pick that we take one of those bigs with + quality young bench piece on the wing. For instance, depending on where CLE lands in the lottery maybe something like Brown + #17 for their pick plus Cedi Osman. That type of deal could better balance the roster in the short term if the young big is the answer and it helps with long term luxury tax concerns if we keep Hayward. But we'll have to see how things go with that - I expect there to be at least rumors if not real talks. Other than those bigs, I don't think there's any other top prospects where it'd be worth considering so I have them off my board for now.

I feel really good about us being able to draft not only a competent backup to Kemba, but someone who could potentially be in place to step in for him once his contract is up in 3 years. Cole Anthony from UNC seems to be soured on by many so maybe we could move up from #17 for him. Kira Lewis Jr. is a really interesting prospect for us in the #17 range. I think he profiles a lot like how Stevens has used Isiah and Kemba here as undersized guards. Tyrell Terry is a dynamite shooter at the PG spot. Probably best served playing off of other guys who can run offenses than as a pure PG. I think he'd be awesome on the second unit offense alongside Smart or playing with the starters and Hayward as those guys can handle the ball along with him so his off ball shooting can be more of an asset. Tyrese Maxey is more of a combo guard but could develop his PG skills down the road. Like Jamal Murray before, him I think he'll end up at PG in the NBA after playing in Kentucky's multiple guard system. In the short term he'd be our second unit scorer. RJ Hampton and Theo Maledon are international prospects, but not as good a fit in Stevens' system, IMO. Nico Mannion might top out as a backup, but I think he'd be a really nice fit for us here. I could see him becoming a starter too. Would be an ideal pick at #26 IMO as he fits the system well. Then you have a deep group of guys who project in all likelihood as backups but still quality ones - Tre Jones, Devon Dotson, Immanuel Quickley, Prayton Pitchard, Malachi Flynn, Jared Butler. Those are all guys that could be candidates in the late 1st or the second round for some. Real deep PG class IMO.

On the wing, it's also a fairly deep class in the middle of the 1st round. Aaron Nesmith, Devin Vassell, Saddiq Bey, Josh Green are all 3&D types that figure to go between 10 and 20 on most boards right now. So maybe a trade up for one of them. Vassell is probably the highest upside of that bunch. Those other guys seem fairly limited to secondary playmakers at best outside of their shooting, while Vassell I think could end up one of those guys who really booms and outplays their draft status. Jahmius Ramsey is probably a 2 guard type who fits the profile of what we took in Romeo Langford but a better shooter at this point. All of those guys are probably candidates at #17, moving up from #17, or moving back into the top 20 with #26/#30/#46 package. I think the wing list kind of falls off after them. Desmond Bayne and Cassius Stanley are potential options in the 2nd round, maybe at #30.

For forwards, you have Patrick Williams and Jaden McDaniels. Both of those guys are kind of SF/PF tweeners that in Stevens' system profile as PFs. Williams is probably ready to roll as a 3&D guy with the upside for more. I think he's got maybe the best upside of the realistic candidates for us at #17. McDaniels is more raw but is thought to have big upside. Tyler Bey could maybe improve on what we get from Semi with maybe a little better shooting for the second round. Yves Pons reminds me of Thybulle from Philly - could be a super defender across multiple spots and knock down 3s efficiently enough.

There are a good number of bigs I like. I mentioned the top 2 guys earlier. There are other lottery/mid 1st types as well. Maybe the most interesting fit in the draft for us IMO is Precious Achiuwa. At Memphis, he played a combo forward role but in the NBA might translate to a role similar to what Bam Adebayo plays in MIA as a "small ball" 5. If he commits to playing that role he could be a big time asset here. He's got great intensity on defense and on the boards. On offense, he's a rim runner right now for the most part but can handle a little bit too. The jump shot shows flashes at times. He's going to have to smooth the rough edges on offense but the package of skills is interesting. Isaiah Stewart, Zeke Nnaji, Jalen Smith, Paul Reed, Daniel Oturu are all guys I think would fit well here but I view all of them as candidates to go in the 20s. Aleksej Pokusevski is one of those freakishly athletic Euro bigs that's rail thin but can handle/shoot. He's not someone that factors in right now but as a developmental guy he could be an awesome gamble to take with one of our 3 picks. Ideally #26 or #30 but his high upside could push him up to the #17 range. Xavier Tillman could be a second round guy for us. Killian Tillie is a good prospect but injury concerns. Vernon Carey Jr. and Udoka Azubuike are throw back bigs that could maybe carve out bit roles in the NBA with their old school games and be leaned on more heavily for certain matchups, such as vs Embiid or Jokic.

There is a roster management component to having 3 picks to consider as well. The fact that it's a strong class could lead to offers of #26 or #30 for a second rounder this year and a first next year. That could make sense to better manage contract expiry and rookie vs. veteran roster component.

Also important to consider young player development of players currently on the roster. Do they see Robert Williams showing enough consistency? Does Grant Williams develop more? Can Romeo Langford crack the rotation? That all plays into team needs and what positions we lean towards. Ultimately gotta favor best player available because you don't want to pass up on a star, but as a team trying to compete you have to consider fit/need to an extent.
    Last edited by hugepatsfan; 05-27-2020 at 10:54 PM.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

would love to move up for Obi Toppin, who looks like a Blake Griffin type. Might not have the firepower for it though.

Can never have enough wings IMO...

I can also see coach K talking up Vernon Carey to DA and Stevens...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    would love to move up for Obi Toppin, who looks like a Blake Griffin type. Might not have the firepower for it though.
    Imagine if Toppin fell to us though

I’d like to see Cole Anthony and Xavier Tillman is Green next season

Looking at the latest mock it looks like this:

1- Anthony Edwards (Timberwolves) (SG)
    2- LaMelo Ball (Knicks trade up to get #2) (PG)
    3- James Wiseman (Hornets) (C)
    4- Tyrese Haliburton (Bulls) (PG)
    5- Obi Toppin (Cavaliers) (PF)
    6- Onyeka Okongwu (Hawks) (C)
    7- Killian Hayes (Pistons) (PG)
    8- Deni Avdija (Warriors trade to take #8) (SF)
    9- Isaac Okoro (Wizards) (SF)
    10- Cole Anthony (Suns) (PG)
    11- Devin Vassell (Spurs) (SF)
    12- Kira Lewis Jr (Kings) (PG)
    13- Aaron Nesmith (Pelicans) (SF)
    14- Saddiq Bey (Celtics) (SF)
    15- Tyrese Maxey (Magic) (SG)
    16- Precious Achiuwa (Blazers) (PF)
    17- Tre Jones (Timberwolves) (PG)
    18- Theo Maledon (Mavericks) (PG)
    19- RJ Hampton (Nets) (SG)
    20- Patrick Williams (Heat) (SF)

Trade out, and see if we can build ammo for next year which is going to be strong
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Trade out, and see if we can build ammo for next year which is going to be strong
    Yeah there definitely has to be some trades. We can’t go into next year with another 3-4 rookies like this year.

Hayes and Anthony are 2 I’m interested in for this draft tho.....probably because I can’t stand Wannamaker lol

Just saw the latest mock on Yardbarker.com and for the latest updated Mock NBA 2020 draft updated hours ago...it has the Celtics at #14 taking PG Cole Anthony with their draft pick and at #30 taking PF Xavier Tillman

Need guys that can come off the bench and defend well and either can attack the rim with size and great athleticism or can really shoot. If Hayward moves to the bench next year for Smart (ideally), outside of him and Wanamaker, the rest of the bench is pretty deficient somewhere (Rob Williams and Langford have tremendous potential but clearly still needs to learn a lot, Grant Williams is a midget at his position, Kanter can't defend at all, Ojeleye is useless offensively other than getting on a short hotstreak from 3 once in awhile, Tremont Waters might be really good someday but along with Edwards are midgets)

Isaac Okoro
    Precious Achiuwa
    Scottie Lewis
    Patrick Williams
    Saddiq Bey
    Isaiah Joe
    Last edited by AntiG; 09-18-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    Need guys that can come off the bench and defend well and either can attack the rim with size and great athleticism or can really shoot. If Hayward moves to the bench next year for Smart (ideally), outside of him and Wanamaker, the rest of the bench is pretty deficient somewhere (Rob Williams and Langford have tremendous potential but clearly still needs to learn a lot, Grant Williams is a midget at his position, Kanter can't defend at all, Ojeleye is useless offensively other than getting on a short hotstreak from 3 once in awhile, Tremont Waters might be really good someday but along with Edwards are midgets)

Isaac Okoro
    Precious Achiuwa
    Scottie Lewis
    Patrick Williams
    Saddiq Bey
    Isaiah Joe
    Out of those guys I would go with Precious

based on the various mocks, we can likely land two of Okoro/Achiuwa/Williams/Bey/Lewis plus Joe either in the late first. I don't watch a lot of college ball, but Joe based on the reports I've read is not all that much all-around but is a devastatingly lights out shooter with a filthy stepback that probably would really work in our offense since we always have players moving around the arc waiting for shots:
    “Isaiah Joe is just the absolute most fun player in college basketball that like 20 percent of college basketball fans actually know who the **** he is,” said Vencenie, who previously wrote for CBS Sports.
    “He is just a monster shooter. He is ridiculous in every regard as a shooter.”

Swicker then noted on Vencenie’s podcast that Joe is one of only three freshmen to ever shoot over 40% from three-point range while also attempting at least 10 three-point attempts per 40 minutes, adjusted for pace.
    The other two?

Steph Curry, the two-time NBA MVP, and Jamal Murray, the young Denver Nuggets star. Shooting at this level is a really good indicator of NBA success.
    Last edited by AntiG; 09-18-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Ok ok my new draft choice is Tyrese Halliburton!! Trade up for him if we have to!

Mods can you change the title of this to 2020 off-season? I tried on my OP but didn’t work lol

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast