Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Bears 17 Game Schedule Thoughts

First - I am neither for or against, but for discussions sake...

If they do this, there is no way IMO that it could start in 2020. Next season at minimum would have to be the target date.
    So, 32 NFL teams makes 16 extra games that need to be played somewhere that is relatively neutral.
    My first thought was that cities that recently had NFL teams leave; St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland could host a game.
    Non traditional but regional rivalries should be the focus, for example the Bears and the Colts. I don't want three games with Green Bay.
    How about those two play in a neutral city like South Bend at Notre Dame's stadium which I think can hold about 80K.
    Not sure about the timing, but again IMO this game could be played in week 1, possibly in conjunction with Labor Day weekend.
    Other options would be Cleveland, Pittsburgh or even Tennessee.

College programs that I think have big enough stadiums and regional, non - conference teams; Alabama (Bucs - Jaguars), Texas/Baylor (Cowboys - Texans), LSU (Saints - Titans), Tennessee (Titans - Panthers)

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...fandom/379729/

Thoughts?
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

I'm guessing they'll split the neutral sites between London and Mexico City.

I'd rather they go to 18 games than 17 if it's going to guarantee international games, which are pretty unpredictable due to the travel, field conditions, etc.

18 makes more sense for sure, I'd like for the league to expand by a couple of teams as well, (San Antonio) but in the meantime, I'm just trying to think of ways to make the games more interesting.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Im an NFL and Chicago Bears fan, the more games I get to see the better. Bring it on!

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I'm guessing they'll split the neutral sites between London and Mexico City.

I'd rather they go to 18 games than 17 if it's going to guarantee international games, which are pretty unpredictable due to the travel, field conditions, etc.
    17 makes a ton of sense though if they want to continue the neutral games though. nobody really denies sacrificing a home game for a game in london is fair. If you said each team had one game in London.... Mexico.... Australia or Canada it would be fine IMO.

I still don't care 1 way or another about 17 games. I do wish they would add a 2nd Bye week though. It gives them another week of broadcasting rights anyway. so i dont see the harm in it

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

Pretty neutral on additional games. If I had to lean one way or the other, I'd probably lean against it, but whatever. If there's an game or games, we're obviously all going to watch 'em.

I don't like the games overseas idea personally. That 17th game, at least initially has to be at a neutral site, they need to find a way to make it stand out. I thought the NHL did a great job with the New Years Day, outside games but obviously that won't work in this situation.

Neutral cities, would be ok, but at least one of the teams would need to be semi-local to draw max interest.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Resolution passed - hello 17 games in 2021. Should be interesting.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

I like the idea of neutral site games .. just not all international. There are plenty of college stadiums that are on par (safety and facility-wise) as NFL stadiums would make interesting viewing .. and if they did it all in the same week make it some kind of NFL/Football celebration deal .. and maybe do it a bit further away from home stadiums/in states without an NFL team where possible, and make them AFC-NFC matchups.

Over Labor Day weekend is a good idea.

They just need to work it around the college schedule.

I don't want any part of London, Mexico City etc games. Agree with you 100% about Neutral Site/NCAA stadium games - makes a lot of sense.
    The NFL used to have MNF games on Labor Day, I always enjoyed that - transition from summer to fall feeling. I hope they make that part of the schedule again.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    I don't want any part of London, Mexico City etc games. Agree with you 100% about Neutral Site/NCAA stadium games - makes a lot of sense.
    The NFL used to have MNF games on Labor Day, I always enjoyed that - transition from summer to fall feeling. I hope they make that part of the schedule again.
    I think having a game in London is fine ... several not as much, thought I guess if it is before a bye, it matters less

Almost went to the Bears game there last year, I was in Prague to see the Hawks, but I booked it before the London date was announced. I actually watched the game on a flight from London back to the US (stopped there on the way back from Prague). I looked into changing my flights, but it was way too expensive .. and based on how the game went, glad I did not.

Its just my preference...to me the Euro games are too disruptive for the team.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Its just my preference...to me the Euro games are too disruptive for the team.
    I do not disagree with you at all .. though I would say the travel time is not all that different than the Seahawks going to Miami ... I recognize they are here to stay, the NFL sees $ from TV rights in other countries and I am sure the UK appreciates the tourism. Going to the Hawks game (except the result) in Prague was fun, made for a really nice vacation.

I think the league should do whatever it can to mitigate the disruption ... and I imagine teams are getting better at it .. the bye week is a help, they could utilize the Thursday games as well to help

For example: Thursday Game .. following week London game .. following week bye. Probably better than the 3 games in 11 days deal in the US.

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfanrp View Post
    I do not disagree with you at all .. though I would say the travel time is not all that different than the Seahawks going to Miami ... I recognize they are here to stay, the NFL sees $ from TV rights in other countries and I am sure the UK appreciates the tourism. Going to the Hawks game (except the result) in Prague was fun, made for a really nice vacation.

I think the league should do whatever it can to mitigate the disruption ... and I imagine teams are getting better at it .. the bye week is a help, they could utilize the Thursday games as well to help

For example: Thursday Game .. following week London game .. following week bye. Probably better than the 3 games in 11 days deal in the US.
    Your mitigating time change though on the games overseas. 3 hour time change from seatle to Miami. 4 hours from miami to London..... and that gets worse if its central or western time obvioysly

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

Again, I just think it would be pretty cool to see the Bears play the Colts or the Browns at Notre Dame Stadium on or near Labor Day weekend. Non-traditional rivalry, neutral site, holiday weekend. Let the experts figure it out, but make it different and open up some games to fans that don't typically get to see NFL games in their home towns.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting