Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Reggie Miller or Ray Allen?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reggie Miller

    7 63.64%
  • Ray Allen

    4 36.36%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,450

    Reggie Miller vs. Ray Allen

    I'm seeing a fair number of comparison threads in the main forum, so I guess that's where they go now. I was listening to the Book of Basketball 2.0 podcast recapping the career of Reggie Miller. Bill Simmons and Shea Serrano got into a debate comparing Miller to Ray Allen. Serrano had Miller, and Simmons had Allen.
    I compared the two players, and they're strikingly close. Both had similar levels of production and success, if you account for the fact that Allen only won championships as part of a super team. Both averaged about 19 points, 3-4 rebounds, 3-3.5 assists and one steal per 36 minutes, along with 48-51% from the field, 40% from three and 89% from the free throw line.
    Who you got?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    44,894
    Miller easy. He was the centerpiece of successful franchise for a long time and always upped his game in the playoffs/clutch moments.
    Last edited by ewing; 02-25-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,340
    Flip a coin for me. This is one of those to where if we a picking teams, that ill gladly take which ever one you don't.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,628
    Miller by a tick for me. I do think Ray was a much better creator, but Reggie was one of those rare guys that stepped up when pressure was on as well as anyone.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    2,995
    Im taking Ray, more explosive and athletic player who I think would be better if both played today.

    Side note and hot take, Duncan Robinson is a better shooter than both.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

    8/24/2

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    31,900
    I think Ray was a better creator and had better handles, but I'd want Reggie to lead my team all things considered.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    44,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Im taking Ray, more explosive and athletic player who I think would be better if both played today.

    Side note and hot take, Duncan Robinson is a better shooter than both.
    no he isn't. If Duncan Robinson had to work half as hard for his looks and took as many contested his % would go down.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    no he isn't. If Duncan Robinson had to work half as hard for his looks and took as many contested his % would go down.
    Can you back this with anything? Duncan is an elite contested shooter
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

    8/24/2

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    44,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Can you back this with anything? Duncan is an elite contested shooter
    I watched Reggie run about 20 miles a night to find Js with guys banging bumping and holding him off every screen. Ray got a good bit more attention then Duncan as well. Do you think Duncan Robinson has to work that hard to get looks? Any chance he shoots this % being a #1 option and go to scorer over the course of 15 or so seasons?
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,450
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I watched Reggie run about 20 miles a night to find Js with guys banging bumping and holding him off every screen. Ray got a good bit more attention then Duncan as well. Do you think Duncan Robinson has to work that hard to get looks? Any chance he shoots this % being a #1 option and go to scorer over the course of 15 or so seasons?
    Good point. Half of Allen's prime was free of hand-checking. Who knows how much better Miller would have been without dealing with that. Then again, it's all a Butterfly Effect, with a myriad of factors besides sheer shooting prowess.
    That said, I'm taking Allen. He's just more athletic and just as great of a shooter. I don't get these people talking about how Reggie comes up bigger in the big moments. Reggie was great in those moments, but have they not seen the Celtics title run or Allen's cerebral shot for Miami?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    31,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Can you back this with anything? Duncan is an elite contested shooter
    Can you?

    Duncan Robinson has been assisted on 95% of his 3 pointers this season. Heck, last year in 15 games he shot 38% from 3. His 42.4% from downtown this season isn't even the best for either Reggie or Ray.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    44,894
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Good point. Half of Allen's prime was free of hand-checking. Who knows how much better Miller would have been without dealing with that. Then again, it's all a Butterfly Effect, with a myriad of factors besides sheer shooting prowess.
    That said, I'm taking Allen. He's just more athletic and just as great of a shooter. I don't get these people talking about how Reggie comes up bigger in the big moments. Reggie was great in those moments, but have they not seen the Celtics title run or Allen's cerebral shot for Miami?
    Neither guy was particularly athletic but Reggie was a long 67 and had a post game. I think Reggie gets miscast by some bc he was a so dorky and was the biggest flopper of his era (not a likable player) I think not only was he more clutch but he was also better at creating his own shot


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    21,533
    My favourite player pre-Raps. Reggie Miller.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Im taking Ray, more explosive and athletic player who I think would be better if both played today.

    Side note and hot take, Duncan Robinson is a better shooter than both.
    Dude, just stop it. It's insulting. He's played a whopping 72 games in his career, is averaging 12 points a game and more than 95% of his career 3-pointers have been assisted! He also plays in an era where the 3-point line is dramatically more important to NBA offenses than it was during Miller and Allen's primes. Honestly, I had to look up who this dude ishe's been relevant for all of two-thirds of one NBA season and now he's a better shooter than two of the five greatest shooters in NBA history?


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    9,198
    Really close one I lean Allen he was more than just a shooter for people that only remember the end of his career. I also hate miller so I might be bias


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •