Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Minutes

Minutes

So I was surprised looking that Lillard leads the league in MPG at 37.0. That doesn't seem very high to lead the league. I know that back in the 60's/70's players would routinely play in the 40's (with Wilt famously averaging 48.5 MPG one year due to Overtimes). But even compared to recent years, the MPG of star players seems to be drastically decreasing.

From 2018 to 2020 no player averaged more than Lillard's 37.0 MPG.
    In 2017, 5 players were at 37.0 or higher (with LeBron highest at 37.8). Harden averaged 38 in 2016 and Butler 38 in 2015. In 2014 5 players averaged 38 MPG or more (with Butler and Melo topping out at 38.7). In 2013 14 players averaged 37.0 or more MPG and in 2012, Deng and Love both averaged 39.0+ MPG. The last time someone averaged 40 MPG was in 2011 when Monta Ellis did it (and Rudy Gay was right behind at 39.9 MPG).

So in a span of 10 years we've seen the top level MPG go from 40's to no higher than 37.

What do you think the reason for this is? Is it load management? Faster pace of play? Thoughts?
    Last edited by valade16; 02-25-2020 at 10:24 AM.

The new generation is soft duh

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

It's load management. With the data available now the training staff can keep the players closer to optimal more of the time, so they can get more production more efficiently out of less playing time.

Load management is part of it, but I also think teams are just smart. Those guys playing 40+ minutes every night arent playing a good 40 minutes every night. Get them a blow and let them play harder.

I think Monta Ellis is a great example of a guy who played way too many minutes. His best attribute was being an always on the go slasher. If he would have played 30 minutes a night of always on the attack, he would have been much better than the 40 minute a night guy that fell in love with contested mid range shots. I think he developed bad habits because of that.

The league is too intense now, gone are the days where guys basically didn't try defensively and only had to worry about their man. you simply can't ask players to carry that kind of load anymore. soft *** 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    The league is too intense now, gone are the days where guys basically didn't try defensively and only had to worry about their man. you simply can't ask players to carry that kind of load anymore. soft *** 80s
    Even Jordan admitted he coasted! Soft indeed.

(or maybe just different considering that in the 80s there were a bunch of regular cigarette smokers in the NBA ... I can't imagine smoking a few packs then running up and down for 40 minutes)