Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Post All-Star break Game Thread

So taking an even broader approach than the last thread, let's just wrap all game and general Rockets discussion for the rest of the regular season in a single thread to see if we can get some dialogue going.

I'll start off by saying how pleased I've been to watch this small ball experiment in the last few weeks. When they dealt Capela for Covington and had no plans to add a true center to the roster, I was extremely skeptical despite some evidence the few weeks prior that this could work.

Shockingly, they're not just better offensively, but they've been better defensively. The switching defense works, their length is stifling teams and they're creating just a ton of turnovers, but somehow not getting totally dominated on the glass every night. Meanwhile, their offense is humming like a thing of beauty. Despite Westbrook being out last night, they won their fourth straight game by double digits and gained a whole game on Utah.

I've been really pleased with the play of Green and the limited minutes I've seen from Carroll so far as well. But I have no clue what D'Antoni's long-term rotations are going to look like. Between McLemore, Green, Carroll and Sefolosha, at least one of those guys is the odd man out, probably two of them. BMac seems like a lock based on the way he's shooting right now, but I have no clue who sticks among the other three. Green has looked great through three games, but he's probably the weakest defender of the three.

Thinking big picture, they're now pretty much two games up on Utah because of tiebreakers, and they're one back of the Clippers for third. With a win against them March 5, Houston could catch up, and they own the tiebreak, which would be huge. They're only two back of Denver for the 2 seed, but because the season series was split and Denver has the superior conference record, they own the tiebreaker.

I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of catching LA and Denver and grabbing the 2 seed down the stretch, but they can't have more duds like they did against Phoenix a few weeks back. They need to take advantage of their relatively easy schedule down the stretch (7th easiest remaining strength of schedule) and beat some quality opponents along the way while not burning out their stars.

Sorry I haven't been around lately. Still watching every single Rockets game and making moves like Daryl Morey in our fantasy league.

Huge game coming up tomorrow night. If they can beat the Clippers, I'm confident they'll be able to clinch the second seed (hoping the Clippers finish 4th). If not, they might be better off finishing 4th and taking the Lakers path to conference finals.

Anyway, despite a few bad losses against the Suns and Knicks, small ball has been a success and it's made Rockets basketball fun again (it was tough to watch for a while).

Yay, you’re not dead!

I don’t know what’s worse: losing by 2 at one of the worst teams the league or getting your *** kicked at home by one of the best teams in the league.

Either way, gross.

I just love this new look Rockets team under Westbrook and Harden...small ball workin

^^^^I think this is lol, please’s dupe. His posts are about as ******.

But what the hell is going on lately? Hopefully they’ll lose this funk in a month or so and cycle to playing hard. This is just getting ridiculous.

Awful circumstances, but this hiatus couldn't have come at a better time for the Rockets. Hopefully they get their **** together in time for the Playoffs.