Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    Maybe I should clarify "no say". If the scouts and GM want one guy and the coach wants another, the coach loses 100% of the time imo unless your name is Pop. Do you agree or disagree? Giving an opinion doesn't mean you have any power over the decision. The coach is probably the last one in the loop AFTER the GM and scouts GIVE HIM the people to give his opinion on.
    I donít think itís that cut and dry. I think all ideas/opinions are discussed, then the final decision is made. I think any good boss takes as many things into consideration before making a decision. Unless thereís a ďno brainerĒ pick, in which case everyone likely agrees

Id also say I donít think itís that difficult to narrow the pool down to a few guys we like with the first pick

This draft is a very difficult one to assess
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 06-26-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    What influence does a coach have on the draft and how does he work alongside the GM in terms of scouting and drafting? Iím sure this varies by organization, but do higher-respected and more-tenured coaches (Stevens, Pop, Spoelstra) have strong influence on drafting certain prospects?

As you mentioned, this is undoubtedly different based on the organization and the personalities involved.

In general, the healthy organizations have coaches that understand what Warren Buffet calls their circle of competence. They know what they know and what they donít. They have healthy dialogue with the GM and front office about what they feel the roster needs, the current playersí strengths and weaknesses, and their impressions of the players who came through for workouts and interviews. But they also know that they havenít spent the year studying these players, and they defer judgment to those who have.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/everyth...to-ask-part-1/
    This has also been acknowledged. We're talking about them having a say towards the end after workouts, interviews, etc...basically the portions that they've been involved with. We have not said that they are the sole decision maker or that they get their way all the time. In my initial post, I stated that and gave two examples - Knicks leaning on Fiz's input regarding Knox and Charlotte ignoring their coach's plea for Mitchell.

They have healthy dialogue with the GM and front office about what they feel the roster needs, the current playersí strengths and weaknesses, and their impressions of the players who came through for workouts and interviews.
    This is also what we've been saying and why it's important to hire a coach prior to the draft. If that input didn't matter then they wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by smood999; 06-26-2020 at 03:17 PM.

The NBA moving the draft to October is the DUMBEST decision. What are fans of the teams who didn't make the playoffs going to hope for?

Not everyone cares to watch Lebron James (conveniently by Bill Simmons) talk more nonsense that he was all packed for New York until the Knicks blew having a Dynasty coming to town.

Other than Knicks Southwest (Dallas Mavs) I don't care to watch any team in the playoffs.

Thibs wins everywhere he goes and teams plummet when he leaves. He is a defensive genius who has coached young players into stars. He should be the landslide favorite here.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Thibs wins everywhere he goes and teams plummet when he leaves. He is a defensive genius who has coached young players into stars. He should be the landslide favorite here.
    Yup. Those who have had issues with him were unwilling to play defense (Wiggins/KAT). He will get the most out of guys that come to work on both ends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To play devils advocate to that..

KAT and Rose were stars regardless, #1 picks. Even Wiggins was #1 overall

Noah, and Butler Iíll give him credit for, although Iíd bet they would have been damn good regardless of the coach

Any player who doesn't want to play for Thibs can leave. Not wanting to play for Thibs tells me you're lazy, don't want to play defense and don't want to be coached.

Hire Thibs and use the next 2-3 seasons to see who on the roster fits and go get players who do fit. If you stick with Thibs principles and build a team that fits his system, we can be a legit playoff contender in 3-4 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Yup. Those who have had issues with him were unwilling to play defense (Wiggins/KAT). He will get the most out of guys that come to work on both ends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree. I hope he becomes our coach. I actually think he and RJ Barrett will love each other and I think Thibs can take Mitchell Robinson and make him the all-nba defensive player that we know he should be.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    To play devils advocate to that..

KAT and Rose were stars regardless, #1 picks. Even Wiggins was #1 overall

Noah, and Butler Iíll give him credit for, although Iíd bet they would have been damn good regardless of the coach
    I'm hoping for that Noah magic with Mitchell Robinson. Look at KAT / Wiggins this season without Thibs. That team is a rudderless mess. 47-35 Thibs last full season and 19-45 without him and had to trade Wiggins. That's crazy.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by beagleboss View Post
    Any player who doesn't want to play for Thibs can leave. Not wanting to play for Thibs tells me you're lazy, don't want to play defense and don't want to be coached.

Hire Thibs and use the next 2-3 seasons to see who on the roster fits and go get players who do fit. If you stick with Thibs principles and build a team that fits his system, we can be a legit playoff contender in 3-4 seasons.
    I hope I'm wrong and I'm mostly joking here but I feel like...

This is going to be Kevin Knox the day Thibs walks into practice.

Kristaps Porzingis

I hope I'm wrong and I'm mostly joking here but I feel like...

This is going to be Kevin Knox the day Thibs walks into practice.
    Why?

IMO, Knox will likely make the biggest jump under Thibs because of Knox' work ethic and weak defense.
    Knox is trying to improve on the defensive end which Thibs will likely be able to maximize.
    Knox' offense will eventually come around. His defense is his biggest weakness and Thibs will surely get him to improve on that side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SK6 View Post
    IMO, Knox will likely make the biggest jump under Thibs because of Knox' work ethic and weak defense.
    Knox is trying to improve on the defensive end which Thibs will likely be able to maximize.
    Knox' offense will eventually come around. His defense is his biggest weakness and Thibs will surely get him to improve on that side of the ball.
    Defense is definitely a weakness for him but heís also a head down player who doesnít see the floor and forces bad shots. That can likely be coached out of him if heís developed properly but those arenít good habits to have on offense either. He has a long way to go.

Oh yeah he won huge in Minnesota.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast