Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,209

    Report: Trent Williams will return to Redskins because of Ron Rivera

    NBC Sports Washington posted an article quoting Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network. According to Pauline's sources, Trent Williams will return to the Redskins for the 2020 season.

    If this is true, that is a solid turn of events. It was reported earlier that Rivera and Williams have spoken about him returning to the team. I am sure it is more complicated than just coming back, since he has no guaranteed money in his deal for this season. But that would be a huge upgrade protecting Haskins' blindside and will be beneficial for his development.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    16,860
    Penn filled in pretty well. I think we should just move on from him anyway, and get the draft pick in return. Williams has peaked with his career, and is only going to decline. I'd rather move on now and get the asset than risk losing him for nothing, or paying huge money for someone past their prime.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Penn filled in pretty well. I think we should just move on from him anyway, and get the draft pick in return. Williams has peaked with his career, and is only going to decline. I'd rather move on now and get the asset than risk losing him for nothing, or paying huge money for someone past their prime.
    I agree with you to an extent. The problem is, the time to deal Williams was last season. A team would have likely handed over a 1st round pick without much thought for Williams and two years of control. But now he is down to one year and none of the salary is guaranteed, so he is looking to redo his deal or an extension. If we could get a 1st for Trent, I would be all for it. But a second day pick is more...eh. I would be willing to do a shorter term extension. Maybe another 2 years on top of what he has and guarantee some of that with a signing bonus. He is still a top tackle in the league, he may not be as agile as he once was but he is still pretty good. He would help Haskins development a ton without have to worry that much about his blindside. Bring back Scherff, Flowers at G, and him then all of a sudden the line looks pretty good again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,340
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddar08 View Post
    I agree with you to an extent. The problem is, the time to deal Williams was last season. A team would have likely handed over a 1st round pick without much thought for Williams and two years of control. But now he is down to one year and none of the salary is guaranteed, so he is looking to redo his deal or an extension. If we could get a 1st for Trent, I would be all for it. But a second day pick is more...eh. I would be willing to do a shorter term extension. Maybe another 2 years on top of what he has and guarantee some of that with a signing bonus. He is still a top tackle in the league, he may not be as agile as he once was but he is still pretty good. He would help Haskins development a ton without have to worry that much about his blindside. Bring back Scherff, Flowers at G, and him then all of a sudden the line looks pretty good again.
    I agree with this... IMO if we are going to see what Haskins can do, Id rather keep Williams with a short term deal, and keep Haskins upright than trade Williams and get a 2nd or 3rd round pick and have Haskins evaluated while hes running for his life. I completely get the well lets get something for Williams while we can side of the argument, but I think the value for that has already passed. I think hes worth more to the team now than anything we could get for him in a trade.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    446
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...trade-redskins

    Trent has been playing games all along. He led everyone to believe his real beef was with Bruce Allen and the medical staff. They are now all gone.

    This was about money all along. The "medical scare" was a smokescreen he used to hide his real agenda without looking like the selfish guy he really is. He slandered the team doctors and got some people fired all because he wants more money. That's why he changed his tune and pulled back when the NFLPA agreed to investigate his claims.

    The skins stood by him during 2 league substance abuse suspensions and has paid him almost 100 million dollars in career earnings. Now he's trying to strong arm the new regime who's trying to instill a new culture with young players to pay him top guaranteed money headed on the wrong side of 30 with a history of being injured for half the season.

    The smart thing to do is trade him for any value possible even though his value doesn't seem to be much now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScab View Post
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...trade-redskins

    Trent has been playing games all along. He led everyone to believe his real beef was with Bruce Allen and the medical staff. They are now all gone.

    This was about money all along. The "medical scare" was a smokescreen he used to hide his real agenda without looking like the selfish guy he really is. He slandered the team doctors and got some people fired all because he wants more money. That's why he changed his tune and pulled back when the NFLPA agreed to investigate his claims.

    The skins stood by him during 2 league substance abuse suspensions and has paid him almost 100 million dollars in career earnings. Now he's trying to strong arm the new regime who's trying to instill a new culture with young players to pay him top guaranteed money headed on the wrong side of 30 with a history of being injured for half the season.

    The smart thing to do is trade him for any value possible even though his value doesn't seem to be much now.
    I did see this as well, and even with the "health concern" issues he had last year it was pretty widely known he wanted a new deal as well. So this was always going to be the contention point once he "returned." Here is where I am at. Do we really think Trent is going to hold out another whole season? Going on 32 and not playing for two years, does he want to hit Free Agency with that baggage? I find it hard to believe he would. I would call his bluff at this point. You either put up or shut up. After a year of calling out the Redskins and their staff, you are now going to be a problem because of money concerns. Though I can understand why he wants a new deal, I wouldn't be inclined to give him one at 20M per. So I would put my cards on the table and tell Trent you either show up this year and play or you sit out for a second consecutive season, which I believe negatively impacts his next deal for sure. At this point we are talking maybe a 3rd + a late round pick if we are lucky, that isn't worth it to me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,340
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddar08 View Post
    I did see this as well, and even with the "health concern" issues he had last year it was pretty widely known he wanted a new deal as well. So this was always going to be the contention point once he "returned." Here is where I am at. Do we really think Trent is going to hold out another whole season? Going on 32 and not playing for two years, does he want to hit Free Agency with that baggage? I find it hard to believe he would. I would call his bluff at this point. You either put up or shut up. After a year of calling out the Redskins and their staff, you are now going to be a problem because of money concerns. Though I can understand why he wants a new deal, I wouldn't be inclined to give him one at 20M per. So I would put my cards on the table and tell Trent you either show up this year and play or you sit out for a second consecutive season, which I believe negatively impacts his next deal for sure. At this point we are talking maybe a 3rd + a late round pick if we are lucky, that isn't worth it to me.
    The moment he told the PA to not look into his case was when I knew there was more to this than what he was leading everyone to believe. If he felt he had been wronged there is absolutely no way he tells the PA to not investigate.

    I agree 100% of your take on his value.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    The moment he told the PA to not look into his case was when I knew there was more to this than what he was leading everyone to believe. If he felt he had been wronged there is absolutely no way he tells the PA to not investigate.

    I agree 100% of your take on his value.
    So do I believe that the Redskins knowingly held knowledge of his growth from him? No, I do not. What purpose does that serve? They are paying this man millions on millions to play football. Setting aside morals, why would they knowingly put his life in danger if they would be on the hook for his contract instead of making him aware so he could have it removed and come back to the team shortly? I can easily believe they did not treat Trent the way Trent feels is deserved. There have been countless incidents in the past of the Redskins and training staff not being the optimal brand in the league. BUT, if you are going to publicly throw the team and staff under the bus you better be able to back the claim up. Especially when the reports are that they withheld a cancer diagnosis. Now you are turning the tide on yourself if you are Trent. Fans were already anxious since you sat out the entire last season, but I for one could get behind him standing on his principles for health reasons. Now you are seemingly becoming selfish, at least from my perspective. I can understand that you want to be paid at a better rate considering his production. But this is coming off of a season that you held out already and it was very contentious.

    John Keim reported over the weekend that the Redskins "remain hopeful" that they can get a 1st round pick in return for Williams. I would imagine they are hopeful. But the reality is, they don't have the leverage on the trade market. They do have the leverage with Trent though IMO. We already went an entire season without you last year, we can do it again if need be. Repeating myself here, I don't think he can afford to miss two entire seasons back to back and still get top Tackle money. I think his best bet is to get back on the field, prove he can still protect the QB, and count his money next offseason. I would be ok with the Skins guaranteeing his entire salary for this year as a sign of good faith for what Trent went through and the money he lost based on his decision to hold out of the prior season. I could also see extending him a few years, but not at 20M. Trent has been a lifer and a huge player for this franchise, which doesn't have many bright spots. I am giving him as much leeway as I possibly can. But as a fan, it is getting harder not to turn the page and moving on from Trent.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,209
    The Redskins can likely get a comp 3rd out of letting Williams walk after this season as well. That is why I am against dealing him for around the same value now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,209
    Not to blow this thread up myself, but Chick Hernandez is reporting from Trent Williams "camp" that he has not requested a new contract/extension. Hernandez goes on to state that sources close to Williams say he has only met with Rivera once and that nothing in regards to a contract was discussed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,209
    Well to blow the thread up myself....I am sure we have all seen that Trent was given the green light to look for a trade. Again I have mixed emotions on this one. I appreciate Trent and all he has done for this organization over his career. Of course there have been some bumps along the way, but he has to be considered as one of the greatest players to ever suit up in a Redskins uniform. He had the health scare and that would definitely put life into perspective for anyone. I am glad his career is back on track and that he is going to be back on the football field. Unfortunately his timing coincides with a "new age" at Redskin Park. Ron Rivera is trying to get everyone on board here, so he is making it clear that if you do not want to be here, you are free to leave. No matter who you are. I get it, for sure I do. If you want to change the "culture" that everyone keeps referring to, then it has to start at the top. Trent has to be near the top without a doubt.

    Now, the flipside to that is the position that the team is in. Of course this can all be attributed to Bruce and his absolutely moronic way of handling Trent's situation last year. But Trent also deserves some culpability in his role as well. If the team were able to come to an agreement with Trent last season, this would not have played out into a new regime. It would have also given the Redskins more leverage in trade discussions. But now we are left holding the bag with an expiring player (All-Pro caliber, but expiring none the less) who needs a new deal and wants out of his current situation. There is no positive to that. There is no leverage in trade discussions. The only leverage the team has is with Trent and other teams aren't going to be sympathetic to that. They will likely try to get him as cheaply as possible, which no one can blame them. But the saving grace is the team played without him last year and can do so again so he may not want to sit out for two entire seasons. I would love to see the Redskins get a 1st for Trent, but that isn't realistic at this point. With him being older, out of football for a year, two strikes on him already for weed, and wanting a new deal it just doesn't add up. I would say the goal should be a 2nd, but we may have to settle for a 3rd + future draft compensation (like a 5th in 2021). This is probably somewhere close to the return we can get as it stands. The Redskins could play the long con and force Trent to sit if they don't get a better option, but I doubt they want this situation hanging over their head for another entire season. I think he gets moved on draft day most likely.
    Last edited by cheddar08; 03-09-2020 at 10:01 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,832
    Well, here we are again.........back to square one. Cleveland looks like the best trade partner at this point.

    White Sox & Redskins Forever

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,939
    At this point do we accept Duane Brown-esque compensation. Does a 3rd rd pick this year and a 2nd next year do it or do we just hold out to spite him?

    Personally, I think we have to accept the best possible offer before the draft to give Ron the most draft capital to work with.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    16,860
    Quote Originally Posted by NJrockPD View Post
    At this point do we accept Duane Brown-esque compensation. Does a 3rd rd pick this year and a 2nd next year do it or do we just hold out to spite him?

    Personally, I think we have to accept the best possible offer before the draft to give Ron the most draft capital to work with.
    The new leak is that we apparently have the highest contract value that's been offered to him. So Williams and his agent missed the mark in a big way for his market. It's clear to anyone at this point it's never been about the cancer scare, so much as it is the money.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,209
    Even if he was standing on principle last year, it makes him look like a giant hypocrite to do this now. Trent has basically painted himself into a corner here. The Redskins hold the final decision to make the move, but that is largely dictated by his willingness to not ask for 20M a year. If he really wants out he has to take less. If the Skins call his bluff again, his new contract will take another dive going into the next offseason.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •