Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

NFL looking to expand playoffs to 14 teams, have 17 game schedule in 2020

one bye to me is just moronic...too many times there's just not enough difference between the top 2 teams to make one play the extra game while the other doesn't
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    one bye to me is just moronic...too many times there's just not enough difference between the top 2 teams to make one play the extra game while the other doesn't
    Go to 16 and get rid of byes all together.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I disagree, I think it's stupid that the #2 seed gets a bye. Hell, if NE didn't **** the bed, KC would've been the #3 seed, instead they get a bye throughout playoffs and only play trash AFCS teams because BAL and NE **** the bed.

I love the 14 team format but I hate the 17 game format.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I disagree, I think it's stupid that the #2 seed gets a bye. Hell, if NE didn't **** the bed, KC would've been the #3 seed, instead they get a bye throughout playoffs and only play trash AFCS teams because BAL and NE **** the bed.

17 games to me makes zero sense and overly complicates it imo. Right now teams play:

6 divisional games
    1 entire intraconference division
    1 entire division from the other conference
    2 teams that placed the same spot in their division in the same conference.

What exactly would they do to add to the formula and make it work out? Seems like it would basically just be a random game.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Go to 16 and get rid of byes all together.
    In a perfect world I'd like that, but I can't bring myself to accept a 7-9 or 6-10 team making the playoffs. And having half the teams make the playoffs seems too watered down.
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post

IDK where I'm at on 2 teams getting byes. On one hand, I agree that it's stupid for two teams to get a bye. Being the second best team in a conference shouldn't get you special treatment... On the other hand, the first seed is determined by stupid tie breakers A LOT. I think it would be pretty egregious to have one team get a bye based on something like their strength of schedule while the other has to play a wildcard game.

Would love for my team to go 6-10, make the playoffs, and go on a deep run

Would piss people off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post

Would piss people off.
    As a Browns fan I'm sure that most years you'd just love if your team won 6 games period

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    As a Browns fan I'm sure that most years you'd just love if your team won 6 games period
    Lol

incredible... watching a league make changes to further their product and a fanbase be accepting to a point.... imagine if baseball did this?

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post

Would piss people off.

On one hand I get the “watered down” argument but we’ll all still watch. Worst case, a 6-10 team gets trashed and we all laugh at it and move on. Best case a solid team gets in and we have another competitive game. The end of the regular season will be more interesting with playoff scenarios too.

Downside for me is going to be the one team getting a bye. I’m pretty sure that SB participants are HEAVILY slanted towards teams with a bye. It’ll be interesting to see if that holds with only one team getting the bye. Do 1 seeds basically go every year or does dropping two teams with a bye kind of negate that stat because it now just applies to less teams?

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

More than half of the 1 seeds have made the Super Bowl in the past 30 years
    Less than 1/3 of 2 seeds have made it

So by all means, let's skew it further to benefit 1 seeds.

Some say well, you earn that 1 seed in the regular season....obviously true, but there are a lot of years where the difference between the 1 and 2 is FAR too little to justify forcing the 2 seed to play a game the 1 doesn't have to...far more often than there are years the same minute difference exists between the 2 and 3
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

17 games to me makes zero sense and overly complicates it imo. Right now teams play:

6 divisional games
    1 entire intraconference division
    1 entire division from the other conference
    2 teams that placed the same spot in their division in the same conference.

What exactly would they do to add to the formula and make it work out? Seems like it would basically just be a random game.
    I have two thoughts for how they could determine it. 1.) You play the opposite conference team that finished the same place you did, so Ravens play 49ers and Bengals play Redskins. Or 2.) Teams are ranked 1-32 and then 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc play each other. So, again, Ravens(1) vs 49ers (2) and Bengals (32) vs Skins (31).

The big issue with this is if we have an issue with teams playing repeat games. This extra game could theoretically end up being a 3rd division game if option 2 happens. Also how do you determine who gets a 9th home game?

Gotdayum lmao.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Lol

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast