Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Got ya. Yeah, I feared high school stats would probably be that way. This might sound dumb, but what makes a good swing to you?
    Repeatable, clean, and mechanically sound swings are the best. Truthfully, swings like, say, Javier Baez, are dangerous. Not because they can't work, but there's so much motion. Loopy swing, lots of hand motion, leg motion, it's not repeatable very easily. Baez gets away with it, but most kids won't.

Take Soderstrom for example. He's got a compact swing. He's got a great bat-to-ball skill, and this swing absolutely helps that. But he has no weight transfer. So there's no power load. He's not going to lift anything. So he might hit .300, and if he has a strong plate approach down the road, he'll get on a lot. But he'll do zero damage with that swing. So, you'll have to rework the thing, hope that the bat-to-ball skills transfer over with a swing that actually utilizes, what should be, fine power from a kid who's 6"2 and 190lbs. Even more of a gamble because he's basically a really bad receiver right now, so he's a strong potential to move.

You can see it here at the end of the video. He's not moving his weight and it's a swing that will generate little power. Compare him to Austin Wells, my personal favorite bat to draft (this will be in the next post as I can only post one video per post...so keep reading!)

Wells has a clean swing. Nothing there that's overly concerning. No major leg kick. No weird hand motion. It's fairly compact and isn't long. He's not doing anything that should harm repeatability. And the weight transfer is great. It's why he's a great power bat coming up. He was PAC-12 freshman of the year and showed good pop with wood in the Cape. That first swing? He goes oppo with wood bat for a bomb. Hell yes. Now, Wells, too, may not stick at C and might be a RF/1b down the road. But with Wells, I have a strong feeling that kid's gonna hit. I don't need to rework his swing.

So when I'm looking at swings, I look at things like that. Soderstrom has some time to stick at C, but he comes with a swing rework and a hope he can keep skills. With Wells, he's more plug and play.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 05-30-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks 1908, I think I can kinda see what you're saying. I'm sure a lot of it comes with looking at these things for a long time, and the fact that you've played as long as you have probably helps too. Great stuff as always.

Chicago Cubs 2020 Minor League News, Notes and Updates

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Repeatable, clean, and mechanically sound swings are the best. Truthfully, swings like, say, Javier Baez, are dangerous. Not because they can't work, but there's so much motion. Loopy swing, lots of hand motion, leg motion, it's not repeatable very easily. Baez gets away with it, but most kids won't.

Take Soderstrom for example. He's got a compact swing. He's got a great bat-to-ball skill, and this swing absolutely helps that. But he has no weight transfer. So there's no power load. He's not going to lift anything. So he might hit .300, and if he has a strong plate approach down the road, he'll get on a lot. But he'll do zero damage with that swing. So, you'll have to rework the thing, hope that the bat-to-ball skills transfer over with a swing that actually utilizes, what should be, fine power from a kid who's 6"2 and 190lbs. Even more of a gamble because he's basically a really bad receiver right now, so he's a strong potential to move.

You can see it here at the end of the video. He's not moving his weight and it's a swing that will generate little power. Compare him to Austin Wells, my personal favorite bat to draft (this will be in the next post as I can only post one video per post...so keep reading!)
    Good stuff.

What about his swing here? The camera angle is different, but it looks like heís transferring weight much better.

https://twitter.com/tylersode/status...062652416?s=21

Mitchell will need a swing adjustment too if you want to try to bring out his power, but the consensus seems to be that he has good raw power just a swing that doesnít use that power. Kind of a similar process as what the Cubs are trying with Nico, but he has better speed and is a true CF. Iím leaning pitcher, but Iíd be ok with him.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-30-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Good stuff.

What about his swing here? The camera angle is different, but it looks like heís transferring weight much better.

https://twitter.com/tylersode/status...062652416?s=21

Mitchell will need a swing adjustment too if you want to try to bring out his power, but the consensus seems to be that he has good raw power just a swing that doesnít use that power. Kind of a similar process as what the Cubs are trying with Nico, but he has better speed and is a true CF. Iím leaning pitcher, but Iíd be ok with him.
    Yeah, that's a completely different swing than the one in the cages. What I can't tell if he's just trying to hit bombs in that second video. Or if he's heard the feedback. Keith Law had mentioned the complete lack of stride/load back in March and that video was posted in May. With no game film on Soderstrom in 2020, it's easy to wonder which it is, and if he has retweaked his swing how well he'll keep the bat to ball skills he had (it was his best selling point).

That said, you can see the lift he's generating now as opposed to prior swings where there was generally zero lift being provided. If the bat to ball skills remains, that's a far better swing. And would be much more exciting. He's big enough to where there should be game power in that body.

Mitchell is another guy who has a swing I hate. It's awful for power. He has zero transfer and his stride leans into the swing. It's a swing that screams "I want to hit line drives and lower and use my legs". It's the kind of swing that in 1970 you'd love, and one in 2020 you cringe at.

He needs a complete revamp. Just watch that BP and think "How many times does he actually lift the ball?" and the number should be incredibly low. I saw maybe one or two. His swing basically won't allow it.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 05-30-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Thanks 1908, I think I can kinda see what you're saying. I'm sure a lot of it comes with looking at these things for a long time, and the fact that you've played as long as you have probably helps too. Great stuff as always.
    Yeah, probably a little column A (playing a ton) and column B (not being a physically gifted person, I need to stay two steps ahead with form. That said, I have a wonky *** stance - base is incredibly close, little load and weight transfer and almost, curled like a serpent - but I'm a contact guy and it keeps me from over striding. I wouldn't draft me haha).

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post

Wells has a clean swing. Nothing there that's overly concerning. No major leg kick. No weird hand motion. It's fairly compact and isn't long. He's not doing anything that should harm repeatability. And the weight transfer is great. It's why he's a great power bat coming up. He was PAC-12 freshman of the year and showed good pop with wood in the Cape. That first swing? He goes oppo with wood bat for a bomb. Hell yes. Now, Wells, too, may not stick at C and might be a RF/1b down the road. But with Wells, I have a strong feeling that kid's gonna hit. I don't need to rework his swing.

So when I'm looking at swings, I look at things like that. Soderstrom has some time to stick at C, but he comes with a swing rework and a hope he can keep skills. With Wells, he's more plug and play.
    Two great posts! I see exactly what your talking about. Someone like myself has to look for it though

Good article about Bitsko. Iím in on any of the 3 top HS arms at 16.

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/...617060354?s=21

Yeah I like Bitsko. I'm definitely a fan of his. He's in my top-5 favorite picks.

He's also incredibly young. You get extra time to work with him as he was supposed to be a 2021 pick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Starting to like Bitsko a lot. I hope he makes it to us. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty after the first 8-10 guys. I think more teams will be taking risks this year and drafting for the upside, so Iím afraid Bitsko wonít be there for us. Maybe Abel will be, or Crochet. I would be happy with any of those 3 as far as arms go. Iím not even sure Soderstrom makes it to us. Kjerstad probably goes top 12 as well. I would have to look further into bats to know who I would like if those guys that are projected to go ahead of us are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andre Agassi's son Jaden will be a 2020 draft prospect. Andre is my all-time favorite athlete in any sport. I grew up playing tennis and had the opportunity to meet and talk to Andre when I was 15. Jaden is committed to USC, 6-3, 215, plays 3B and pitches. High ceiling with the bat, low 90s stuff on the mound. He's a fun one to keep an eye on.
    Chicago Cubs ē Chicago Blackhawks ē Buffalo Bills ē Southern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi Osaka ē Angelique Kerber ē Bianca Andreescu

A lot of people are connecting Garrett Mitchell to the Cubs in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post

Blah. I'm not big on Mitchell. Swing sucks ***. I know he's the typical "dream on me" kind of guy, but I really don't like drafting theoretical power.

Sometimes you get Lindor, who people projected power for. Sometimes you get Buxton, who people are still waiting for the bat to come around (showed glimpses last year but it was half a year).

There will be probably 4-6 players I'd rather have than Mitchell in almost every situation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post

Law had a comment about the Cubs not being interested in the HS pitchers and the Mayo today mentioned they might be in on HS bats, but didnít say anything about the arms. I donít like that update at all. The 3 top HS arms are 3 of my favorite options for 16. Letís develop our own Walker Buehler or Jack Flaherty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast