Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 103 of 115 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1713

2020 MLB Thread (Covid shutdown Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Itís only for this year. They didnít come to a deal so theyíre only allowing universal DH for 2020 only.

No expanded playoffs either
    Thank you. I knew that we werenít getting expanded playoffs in 2021, so figured the DH was dropped for 2021 as well. Itís a shame as I reckon the DH might not be added into the next CBA now that those talks will immediate follow a season without the DH.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 06-26-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Thank you. I knew that we werenít getting expanded playoffs in 2021, so figured the DH was dropped for 2021 as well. Itís a shame as I reckon the DH might not be added into the next CBA now that those talks will immediate follow a season without the DH.
    I imagine the DH is here to stay. I know they said itís only for this year, but once itís here itís here. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Contreras should be our DH. It gets him into the lineup everyday. Caratini can catch, and we can carry a 3rd catcher. Contreras could catch once maybe twice a week. I'd rather have his bat in the lineup every day than his glove in the lineup 5 games a week.
    Thereís not going to be a primary DH. I know Darvish and Caratini worked well together last year, so I imagine Vic will catch him with Contreras DHíing those games. Contreras will catch most everybody else, especially Lester. Contreras will DH a good bit too though with Vic behind the plate to get Contreras off his feet and legs some. The DH will be used to give everyday players a ďday offĒ of sorts for the most part. As long as theyíre healthy, Rizzo, Javy, KB, and Contreras will play pretty much all 60 games. Schwarber, Heyward, and Happ are in the next group of guys that will play most every day as well. There will be a lot of mixing and matching. Nico, Kipnis, Bote, and Souza will all get a lot of playing time I imagine. Hopefully we see very little of Almora and Descalso.

With the DH this year
    Any interest here in Puig just for this year to play LF and let Schwarber DH

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    With the DH this year
    Any interest here in Puig just for this year to play LF and let Schwarber DH
    They want to dump salary it seems, not take on. Maybe at the deadline? I'd take him for a couple of months, not more than that. Also, how significant an upgrade is he over Caratini in the lineup? Not much if any.

Anyone see where Addison Russell signed to a Korean team not long ago. Ouch.
    Last edited by Stratos; 06-26-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I imagine the DH is here to stay. I know they said itís only for this year, but once itís here itís here. I could be wrong though.

Oh definitely, if the DH is written in the next CBA, it will be here to stay. I hope it is, because I canít stand watching starting pitchers removed from games in the 5th inning in 2 run games

They want to dump salary it seems, not take on. Maybe at the deadline? I'd take him for a couple of months, not more than that. Also, how significant an upgrade is he over Caratini in the lineup? Not much if any.

Actually Puig and Caratini are very similar. BB & K rate are pretty much the same. Vic had (last year) a bit higher wRC+ and fWAR than Puig... but itís really close. If Puig was an option, then grabbing Souza was useless. Iíd rather have Puig over Souza. (Yes I know there was a rather significant money difference between the two, and we couldnít afford Puig.) Souza strikes out at an alarming rate and hits for no average. Souza had 1 pretty decent year but thatís it. I donít see Puig as an option. Puig and Souza pretty much have the same projected production for this year if that matters. I just really donít like Puig. His antics are beyond annoying. Heís not one of those guys that Iíd say ďwell if heís on your team, you love him.Ē Nah I wouldnít like him regardless.

yes if payroll still an issue to pay a guy for 2 months then ok, but I would love to see him in the middle of the lineup, especially if Ross bats Bryant leadoff hitting against the NL and AL Central for 60 games

Unless I missed it, We haven't heard anything about luxery tax and thresholds through all the negotiations

As far as Caratini goes, I like Caratini but I need to see more then a career year as a backup to feel comfortable with him over a guy who can put up numbers like Puig

yes if payroll still an issue to pay a guy for 2 months then ok, but I would love to see him in the middle of the lineup, especially if Ross bats Bryant leadoff hitting against the NL and AL Central for 60 games

Unless I missed it, We haven't heard anything about luxery tax and thresholds through all the negotiations

As far as Caratini goes, I like Caratini but I need to see more then a career year as a backup to feel comfortable with him over a guy who can put up numbers like Puig
    I just donít get the love for Puig. Youíre talking about him like a middle of the order bat that puts up numbers. His 1st two years were pretty good, but that was 5 years ago. He had a decent 2017 season but has followed that up with back to back season with a fWAR under 2. I mean Bote had a higher fWAR and wRC+ than Puig in 2019. Heyward had a higher fWAR than Puig last year. Even Happ had a higher fWAR and played in 91 less games than Puig did. My point is is if Schwarber, Happ, and Heyward are the primary outfielders, then we will be fine with Caratini, Bote, Souza, etc at DH compared to paying for Puig. Heís just another guy similar to what we already have. If you take Souza out of the equation then maybe I could see a fit, but you canít so I donít see one.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I just donít get the love for Puig. Youíre talking about him like a middle of the order bat that puts up numbers. His 1st two years were pretty good, but that was 5 years ago. He had a decent 2017 season but has followed that up with back to back season with a fWAR under 2. I mean Bote had a higher fWAR and wRC+ than Puig in 2019. Heyward had a higher fWAR than Puig last year. Even Happ had a higher fWAR and played in 91 less games than Puig did. My point is is if Schwarber, Happ, and Heyward are the primary outfielders, then we will be fine with Caratini, Bote, Souza, etc at DH compared to paying for Puig. Heís just another guy similar to what we already have. If you take Souza out of the equation then maybe I could see a fit, but you canít so I donít see one.

Not that I love him, I just think hed be an upgrade to what they have outside of Schwarber Happ and Heyward in the OF

He has good power, speed

He'll probably get a better offer then a 2 month deal (1 yr), but they would only be paying him for 2 months

He looked pretty good with Reds and Indians last year

If Puig wasnít a reverse splits guy, heíd be an almost must get for a team as thin as the Cubs. Heck, as meh as he is vs LHP, heíd still most likely be better than most of the Cubs OFs are against lefties.

Saw a report from the New York Post that Opening Day will be on July 23rd and the prime-time matchup will be Yankees/Nationals in DC with Cole vs Scherzer.

Take it FWIW since nothing else has been confirmed regarding schedules

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Which NL Division in you're opinion might have an easier chance of beating up on their opposing league Division, which could help in the outcome of being a WC team?
    Central East or West

I'm leaning a bit with the Central over the West, but that will depend on the Whitesox

Which NL Division in you're opinion might have an easier chance of beating up on their opposing league Division, which could help in the outcome of being a WC team?
    Central East or West

I'm leaning a bit with the Central over the West, but that will depend on the Whitesox
    Yeah a short season may or may not be an advantage to the White Sox. Luis Robert is a big key for them. Itís unlikely he just tears it up right out the gate. How will he make adjustments once pitchers adjust to him? Same goes for Madrigal. Can Tim Anderson hit as much as he did last year? He has 1 good season that was extremely BABIP driven. Anderson does not take walks either. I mean Javy walked 2x as much as Anderson last year if that tells you anything. Eloy will need to take a step forward for them and cut out on the strikeouts big time. Heís going to hit for power though no doubt. Mazara is just meh... he does nothing for me. Grandal will be solid. Moncada will be good. What will Giolito be? Is he an ace or a #2 type guy? Thatís TBD in my opinion. He definitely took an enormous step forward last year though. Keuchel is ok, Gio is fine for a mid to back of the rotation guy. Cease will be a huge key for them. He was.... well he was bad last year, Iíll just say that.

Iím not hating on the Sox. They will be really really good soon. They are just depending on a lot of youth. 60 games could be tough for some of them to get acquainted to the majors. Or they could do the polar opposite and tear it up out of the gate and the season will be over before teams get a real scouting report on them. There are question marks there. Theyíve gotten 1 good year from Moncada, Anderson, and Giolito. So thereís not enough track record to just assume they will repeat that this year, although Iím pretty confident atleast Moncada and Giolito will be what they were last year.

I personal want Vic Cís bat in the lineup most days. He gives solid ABs consistently as a switch hitter and has enough power to make it worth while. Hell I kinda like him as a lead off option lol. Contreras has struggled to stay healthy, so I like Vic C catching 2/5...and at least dhing 2 of the other 3 starts. Souza needs to prove it to me first, I do like him as a depth option with upside tho. But really I just donít wna see Almoraís bat in the lineup. A breakout year from Happ...and Hoerner would be sweet lol.

My hope for cubs regular starters
    Bryant, Rizz, Baez, Contreras, Schwarber, Vic C, Happ, Hoerner. Jhey (9 regular starters)

Substitutes for days off/injuries Souza as 4th OF, and Bote as 4 inf.