Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 75 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1713
  1. #1111
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,989
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    I really hope they can be if I'm a player I'm absolutely furious.

    First they agree to pro-rated salaries and then the owners go back on that.

    Now they want to further reduce salaries because times are hard. Well, when times were good they never gave the players extra money. BAMTech sale over the past few years generated billions and the players didn't see a nickle of that.
    100%

    The owners are being hand over fist greedy here. And they're doing a fairly good job of it. At every juncture they're making it seem the players are the bad guys. "Ooooh the rich players won't pay the minor leaguers". "We're in this together!" When in the end, it's just greed.

    People always defend the owners in that "they're the ones that assume a lot of the financial risk". But the second there's actually financial risk, it's the players problem. Oakland refusing to pay their minor leaguers while the eternal penny-pinching Marlins are the first to guarantee payment all year? Yeah, get bent, John Fisher.

  2. #1112
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    100%

    The owners are being hand over fist greedy here. And they're doing a fairly good job of it. At every juncture they're making it seem the players are the bad guys. "Ooooh the rich players won't pay the minor leaguers". "We're in this together!" When in the end, it's just greed.

    People always defend the owners in that "they're the ones that assume a lot of the financial risk". But the second there's actually financial risk, it's the players problem. Oakland refusing to pay their minor leaguers while the eternal penny-pinching Marlins are the first to guarantee payment all year? Yeah, get bent, John Fisher.
    Regardless of anyone's feelings regarding the greed- the owners are pro's at negotiating - I don't think I could have planned a better strategy to this point.

  3. #1113
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    Regardless of anyone's feelings regarding the greed- the owners are pro's at negotiating - I don't think I could have planned a better strategy to this point.
    Yeah they've done a great job trying to point the finger the players.

    That said, I still think there's a very real chance at this backfiring. I've got my fingers crossed, it does, at least.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  4. #1114
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,492

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Yeah they've done a great job trying to point the finger the players.

    That said, I still think there's a very real chance at this backfiring. I've got my fingers crossed, it does, at least.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Even if it does and they have to eat the losses this year, the owners will still win in the end. They control their payrolls, so theyíll just make up for it in more dramatic cost cutting in future years. If the players do give in and absorb part of these losses, Iíd imagine weíll still see dramatic cost cutting by owners in the next few years.

    I hope the players donít give in and I hope the owners eat losses and that we have baseball this year, but regardless of what happens the owners will come out ahead in the long run. The only thing that could really hurt the owners is if thereís no baseball this year, then limits on next year and a strike/lockout after next season. As long as they can keep players on the field, theyíll come out way ahead financially.

    The Cubs might as well stay over the tax line this year (if there is a season), because I doubt they go above it for the next few years anyway.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-28-2020 at 03:03 PM.

  5. #1115
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,537
    I understand that the owners take all the risk. But they also receive the rewards. They've received the rewards for several years now. This is part of the risk.

    I don't understand why it can't be as simple as the players get a prorated salary. Play 81 games? Get half their pay. Play 60 games, get 37% of their pay. It's really not that difficult. I don't think think that anybody is suggesting that the players get 100% of their pay for playing a partial season.

    No fans in the stands is an owner problem. Not a player problem. As unforeseen as this season was, this is what I would consider part of the risk of owning a team. It's not the players problem

    If I'm the players, I'm not budging off getting paid the exact amount of their salary as the percent of season there is. If they make any concessions to take less money, they would be foolish. Especially with a new CBA around the corner. The players got shafted in the last CBA. They have to stand strong and not give in the the greed.

  6. #1116
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I understand that the owners take all the risk. But they also receive the rewards. They've received the rewards for several years now. This is part of the risk.

    I don't understand why it can't be as simple as the players get a prorated salary. Play 81 games? Get half their pay. Play 60 games, get 37% of their pay. It's really not that difficult. I don't think think that anybody is suggesting that the players get 100% of their pay for playing a partial season.

    No fans in the stands is an owner problem. Not a player problem. As unforeseen as this season was, this is what I would consider part of the risk of owning a team. It's not the players problem

    If I'm the players, I'm not budging off getting paid the exact amount of their salary as the percent of season there is. If they make any concessions to take less money, they would be foolish. Especially with a new CBA around the corner. The players got shafted in the last CBA. They have to stand strong and not give in the the greed.
    This is what the owners and players agreed to in March. It's what the players want as well.

    Now the owners are saying they want the players to make even less than their pro rated salaries.

    It's disgraceful.

  7. #1117
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    23,373

    2020 MLB Thread (Covid shutdown Edition)


    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  8. #1118
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,537
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    This is what the owners and players agreed to in March. It's what the players want as well.

    Now the owners are saying they want the players to make even less than their pro rated salaries.

    It's disgraceful.
    I know that's what agreed on. It seems like a simple solution

    The owners are trash

  9. #1119
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,404

  10. #1120
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    23,373
    Cubs have released 30 minor leaguers, including P Brock Stewart and IF Carlos Asuaje via Sharma and Mooney of The Athletic.

    Cubs will also pay minor leaguers (including the ones who were released) their $400 stipend through at least the end of June

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  11. #1121
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,989
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Price is worth significantly less than John Fisher and can pay minor Leaguers.

    Something is wrong here when the players are offering to do the job of an owner. Kudos to Price for being a decent person.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  12. #1122
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,935
    So baseball question here. With the draft on June 10th... Do we go pitching or hitting with the 16th overall pick? Iíve seen anything from Tyler Soderstrom (a HS catcher) to Tanner Burns (Friday night guy from Auburn).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #1123
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,136
    Milb is screwed

  14. #1124
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    11,492
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    So baseball question here. With the draft on June 10th... Do we go pitching or hitting with the 16th overall pick? Iíve seen anything from Tyler Soderstrom (a HS catcher) to Tanner Burns (Friday night guy from Auburn).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could go either way. It sounds like they are more focused on upside/higher risk guys than they have been in the past. With the top 12 or so picks being very college heavy, there might be an opportunity to find value from the HS class.

    I think these are the players most likely to be considered:

    HS pitching - Abel, Bitsko, Kelley
    HS bats - Hassell, Soderstrom, Hendrick, Howard, Crow-Armstrong
    NCAA pitching - Crochet, Cavalli, Wilcox, Jarvis, Burns, Mlodzinski, Miller
    NCAA bats - Mitchel, Bailey, Wells

    Itís a shame they canít trade picks. Thereís a lot of depth this year, it would be nice to add more picks.

    Iíd probably be happy enough with about a dozen of those 18 names above.

  15. #1125
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,989
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    So baseball question here. With the draft on June 10th... Do we go pitching or hitting with the 16th overall pick? Iíve seen anything from Tyler Soderstrom (a HS catcher) to Tanner Burns (Friday night guy from Auburn).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, there's a lot of variation here. Part of it is without a season, we have no idea. Someone like Crochet or Cavelli could have vaulted to a top 5-8 pick with strong years or be down in the bottom of the first with injuries. Or worse.

    What I can say is I hope the Cubs go upside here. With this draft...gamble. It's already a major gamble without a season. So...pick someone like a Crochet over someone like a Burns or a Detmers. Both of those guys may offer higher floors, but neither overly excite me.

Page 75 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •