Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1680

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

I am on the other side of the world but I will have a virtual (or a PayPal transfer) beer with you guys as well. Stay safe everyone and keep your head up CubsRule, we are all here for you!

I have continued my WS replay journey today with Game 4 and now into Game 5. A few points of interest. Addison Russell was actually decent at the plate and a very good fielder, he wasn’t out of place on that roster. We know that Jason Heyward was benched for some WS games but he still had some hard hits in the series and his replacement Soler was just as bad offensively and what was annoying back then was that he didn’t lay out for the hit to RF in Game 3 that scored the only run of the ballgame. Watching the replay of it, Heyward would have made that catch, that I have no doubt about. John Lackey pitched decently in Game 4, he left the game with 3 ER’s on 4 hits and at least one of the runs scored off of him was in part to Bryant’s 2 errors in one of the innings. 3-1 series deficit by this point without getting outplayed (we had bases loaded once and men on base at points in those losses).
    Last edited by JHBulls; 04-13-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    I am on the other side of the world but I will have a virtual (or a PayPal transfer) beer with you guys as well. Stay safe everyone and keep your head up CubsRule, we are all here for you!

I have continued my WS replay journey today with Game 4 and now into Game 5. A few points of interest. Addison Russell was actually decent at the plate and a very good fielder, he wasn’t out of place on that roster. We know that Jason Heyward was benched for some WS games but he still had some hard hits in the series and his replacement Soler was just as bad offensively and what was annoying back then was that he didn’t lay out for the hit to RF in Game 3 that scored the only run of the ballgame. Watching the replay of it, Heyward would have made that catch, that I have no doubt about. John Lackey pitched decently in Game 4, he left the game with 3 ER’s on 4 hits and at least one of the runs scored off of him was in part to Bryant’s 2 errors in one of the innings. 3-1 series deficit by this point without getting outplayed (we had bases loaded once and men on base at points in those losses).
    That game was so numbing. Fully expected Cleveland to win in game 5.

Im excited at the prospect that the Cards and Cubs could face each other in the WS if they go with the Grapefruit vs Cactus League idea.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    That game was so numbing. Fully expected Cleveland to win in game 5.
    Yeah, same here. And then that 4th inning happened. Joe Buck: “They need to put something on the board right here.” just as Bauer is throwing his pitch that Kris absolutely crushed for his home run. 3-1 up by the end of the inning with a dealing Lester and you just knew that Chapman was going to throw multiple innings at that point. Still nervy but Lester was pitching really well and what can you say about that rotation? It was fantastic. And looking over into the dugout,Joe Maddon, Dave Martinez and Chris Bosio had their finger prints all over that title.

Not watching Game 6 and 7 yet but we really did dominate them in those games, except for the 8th inning of Game 7 and “Rajai ‘I am 4 for 35 in the postseason at this point’ Davis so here’s a one in a billion home run off Aroldis Chapman for you”. Just the weirdest turn of events that could have ever happened.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 04-13-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Yeah, same here. And then that 4th inning happened. Joe Buck: “They need to put something on the board right here.” just as Bauer is throwing his pitch that Kris absolutely crushed for his home run. 3-1 up by the end of the inning with a dealing Lester and you just knew that Chapman was going to throw multiple innings at that point. Still nervy but Lester was pitching really well and what can you say about that rotation? It was fantastic. And looking over into the dugout,Joe Maddon, Dave Martinez and Chris Bosio had their finger prints all over that title.

Not watching Game 6 and 7 yet but we really did dominate them in those games, except for the 8th inning of Game 7 and “Rajai ‘I am 4 for 35 in the postseason at this point’ Davis so here’s a one in a billion home run off Aroldis Chapman for you”. Just the weirdest turn of events that could have ever happened.
    I never had a good feeling about Davis' at bat. He was on all of Chapman's pitches that at bat. I was hoping he would swing at a really bad pitch or walk. I just didn't have a good feeling that entire at bat.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    I never had a good feeling about Davis' at bat. He was on all of Chapman's pitches that at bat. I was hoping he would swing at a really bad pitch or walk. I just didn't have a good feeling that entire at bat.
    Yeah, looking back at it, Chapman was way too tired by that point. He pitched a 1-2-3 (?) 9th inning to get us into the 10th and the Cubs won in the end but had they lost in the 10th inning we would have been questioning if Joe should have used a different reliever in the 8th inning and the answer a lot of our fans would have had was yes.

Game 6 is fascinating. 3 run 1st inning that all happened after the first 2 outs and a grand slam in the 3rd to have a healthy buffer and all but put the Indians away with Arrieta on the mound. And in the 4th inning the Indians had bases loaded on Arrieta and that was nervy as **** thinking back in it with the score 7-1. I am halfway through now and the Indians were hitting Arrieta hard so you kind of see how Chapman ended up pitching in the game.

Yankees co-owner Hank Steinbrenner passed away at 63 this morning due to long time illness that was not COVID-19 related

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Yankees co-owner Hank Steinbrenner passed away at 63 this morning due to long time illness that was not COVID-19 related
    That’s sad. He was young. RIP.

As if we needed any more proof as to how Rizzo is such a great human being:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...ovid-19-relief

#ThatsMyCaptain

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    As if we needed any more proof as to how Rizzo is such a great human being:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...ovid-19-relief

#ThatsMyCaptain
    He is a class act, always has been. The work he does behind the scenes with his organisation and visiting children in hospital regularly during the season makes him just a beautiful human being. A lot of what he does never makes it to print because he doesn’t do it for the publicity. Great person!

Game 7 was awesome on replay. Apart from the 8th inning, Cleveland really didn’t look like winning. The emotions at the end when they finally won it all, amazing!

Watching Game 7 now on MLB network

3 things...

Bryant baserunning early on was huge towards scoring 2 of the runs on a short Sac Fly and scoring from first on a double..

Cubs Catchers combined 3 for 4 3 RBI R

I still shake my damn head at Maddon panick move of pulling Hendricks with 2 outs in the 5th inning with just 60+ pitches and cruising..
    Last edited by chibears55; 04-19-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Watching Game 7 now on MLB network

3 things...

Bryant baserunning early on was huge towards scoring 2 of the runs on a short Sac Fly and scoring from first on a double..

Cubs Catchers combined 3 for 4 3 RBI R

I still shake my damn head at Maddon panick move of pulling Hendricks with 2 outs in the 5th inning with just 60+ pitches and cruising..
    I know I shouldn't keep roping myself into this, but for clarity, it was anything but a panic move. It was calculated and deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I know I shouldn't keep roping myself into this, but for clarity, it was anything but a panic move. It was calculated and deliberate.
    In my opinion, this is what makes it worse. He had his mind made up before the game started how he was going to handle his pitchers, almost regardless of game situation. I'm not saying a manager shouldn't have a game plan for his pitchers but you have to adjust in-game. Hendricks was pitching better than probably any of us could have imagined and was one very questionable "ball" call to Santana away from getting out of the 5th with a 5-1 lead.

Quote Originally Posted by putter84 View Post
    In my opinion, this is what makes it worse. He had his mind made up before the game started how he was going to handle his pitchers, almost regardless of game situation. I'm not saying a manager shouldn't have a game plan for his pitchers but you have to adjust in-game. Hendricks was pitching better than probably any of us could have imagined and was one very questionable "ball" call to Santana away from getting out of the 5th with a 5-1 lead.
    I don't see how it's worse. For me anyway, I like a guy who sticks with his convictions and facts, as opposed to one who makes decisions based on feeling.

Again, not to be a broken record, but a manager's job is to be able to anticipate & predict when his pitchers will start to lose effectiveness, not to wait until it's too late. For Hendricks, it's not so hard. He has historically struggled (relatively) once he faces the 3rd time through the order. I've already posted, but again, see below:

For his career:
    ERA 1st time through order: 2.94
    ERA 2nd time through order: 2.40
    ERA 3rd time through order: 4.72

2016:
    FIP 1st time through order: 2.76
    FIP 2nd time through order: 3.22
    FIP 3rd time through order: 3.79

Combine that with the fact it was Jason Kipnis coming up, and Lester was obviously the better matchup. It didn't work out, but it's only due to a few very uncharacteristic errors by David Ross. Otherwise, Lester induced a swinging bunt and pitched great the rest of his outing. Joe shouldn't be blamed for fluky **** that no one could see coming. Based on everything we all know, Lester two times more through the order as the bridge to Chapman was a much better choice than Hendricks his 3rd and 4th times through.

You can criticize Joe to a degree for his use of Chapman in game 6, but I think anything else is splitting hairs over 50/50 decisions.

Page 67 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast