Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    I like that Rivas kid. Too bad he wont get a real shot at the roster. Wick also has been real bad this spring and he was struggling to close out last year too, hope he gets it right by opening day.
    He's not gonna get a shot cuz he's only had 34 ABs past A+.

I like that Rivas kid. Too bad he wont get a real shot at the roster. Wick also has been real bad this spring and he was struggling to close out last year too, hope he gets it right by opening day.
    Yeah, hoping Wicks Wieck and Ryan wasnt just a flash last year, because if those guys struggle, the bullpen will be in even more serious trouble this year with the lack of upgrade

Only about 2 weeks of ST left, last ST game is on March 23. It's crunch time for guys on the bubble.

Season Opener is on March 26. Season seems to get earlier and earlier every year. Maybe extra early because of the London series, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    It was Tyson Miller not Miller the OF.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    That makes way more sense.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Only about 2 weeks of ST left, last ST game is on March 23. It's crunch time for guys on the bubble.

Season Opener is on March 26. Season seems to get earlier and earlier every year. Maybe extra early because of the London series, who knows.
    No it doesn’t have to do with London Series.

I think they’re pushing up the regular season starts the last few years so that the World Series doesn’t end in November like it did a few times last decade.

At least that’s what I thought hearing Manfred say a few years ago

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    It will be Chatwood as the 5th starter and Mills as the swing man.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Chatwood’s stuff plays better out of the pen in reality. I would prefer Mills in the rotation. I don’t know how much of a “competition” it is. It could be Chatwoods job regardless or it could be best man wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    True, but the problem with keeping him is that he sucks.
    Yes sir!

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    He's not gonna get a shot cuz he's only had 34 ABs past A+.
    Hes holding his own in camp tho, I like his approach.

That Miller guy might end up making the team too, I know ivy mentioned him a little while back. I feel like theres no chance with Descalso making the team with others performing well.

Hes holding his own in camp tho, I like his approach.

That Miller guy might end up making the team too, I know ivy mentioned him a little while back. I feel like theres no chance with Descalso making the team with others performing well.
    I know nobody wants to hear it, but ST performance = totally meaningless. Folks should never infer anything from it. Descalso sucks, and Ian Miller might make the roster over him I suppose. With that extra spot on the roster, I anticipate having someone with speed who can basically just pinch run is gonna be more common, and it's about the only role I can think of Miller filling on an MLB roster. Possibly a defensive sub too since with speed usually also comes good defense.

Being potentially better/more useful than Daniel Descalso is not a measuring stick that warrants excitement at any level is the point here. It's nice we wouldn't have to watch Descalso anymore, but it's not gonna be any more fun watching Miller if he ever has to hit.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but ST performance = totally meaningless. Folks should never infer anything from it. Descalso sucks, and Ian Miller might make the roster over him I suppose. With that extra spot on the roster, I anticipate having someone with speed who can basically just pinch run is gonna be more common, and it's about the only role I can think of Miller filling on an MLB roster. Possibly a defensive sub too since with speed usually also comes good defense.

Being potentially better/more useful than Daniel Descalso is not a measuring stick that warrants excitement at any level is the point here. It's nice we wouldn't have to watch Descalso anymore, but it's not gonna be any more fun watching Miller if he ever has to hit.
    If spring training for totally meaningless i dont think teams would base roster decisions on it. Its definitely not make or break in most cases but it definitely has some weight. Also I think most would agree it will be thrilling to watch anyone who supplants Descalso on this team. Bdawks daughter could do better in this league than him.

If spring training for totally meaningless i dont think teams would base roster decisions on it. Its definitely not make or break in most cases but it definitely has some weight. Also I think most would agree it will be thrilling to watch anyone who supplants Descalso on this team. Bdawks daughter could do better in this league than him.
    I don't think decisions are typically made in ST, at least not based on performance. I think there are narratives that are built up that make people believe they are, but it's usually something like this. The decision with Descalso/Miller has probably already been made, even if Miller goes 0-15 with 10 strikeouts to finish ST. Because again, I think if he does make the team, it's as a pinch runner/defensive substitute, not a first or even second or third guy off the bench to pinch hit.

ST is warm up time for the players. That's basically it.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 03-08-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Well, teams don't always make the correct decisions. I would say any team making a choice on a ST performance is being short sighted outside of situations like the Cubs bullpen, who have a gaggle of injured/mediocre reclamation arms in which you judge their stuff and not so much the results.

30 PAs against talent ranging from MLB players to fodder just isn't enough for a team to make a real choice on. I hope the Cubs don't fall into that hole.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Kimbrel gives up another HR today. He can't stop giving up bombs.

If you had a terrible season last year because you missed ST and you make big bucks, you better show up early to ST and be prepared to pitch in live games as soon as the schedule starts. You better be preparing in the offseason so that when pitchers and catchers report you're well prepared. ST ends in 2 weeks, he shouldn't be behind at this point, he should be ahead of schedule if anything.

I don't think decisions are typically made in ST, at least not based on performance. I think there are narratives that are built up that make people believe they are, but it's usually something like this. The decision with Descalso/Miller has probably already been made, even if Miller goes 0-15 with 10 strikeouts to finish ST. Because again, I think if he does make the team, it's as a pinch runner/defensive substitute, not a first or even second or third guy off the bench to pinch hit.

ST is warm up time for the players. That's basically it.
    Cubs started the 2019 season with Zagunis on the roster because he was raking in ST. Nobody thought he'd make the team going into ST. Lots of decision are made based on ST for guys on the bubble, in our case pen guys obviously will be. If Miller was hitting .150 i don't think he'd be in the convo right now, we already have 2 CF plus Heyward. If Chatwood was walking the world in his last 3 weeks of ST and Mills was lights out obviously Mills would get the nod as 5th starter.

ST does matter for fringe guys. It doesn’t hurt for minor league guys to leave that good impression either. I know Nico was our best prospect last year, but look at the opportunity he got last year. You never know when your name is going to be called. So yeah, nobody really cares what KB, Rizzo, Javy or any of those guys do. But what Miller, Descalso, all the BP arms fighting for spots, etc all matter a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 35 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast