Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 111 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1713
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo617 View Post
    From MLB ...
    Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association have released results from the first round of coronavirus testing.
    Per a joint release from the two groups, there were 38 positive cases from 19 different teams out of 3,185 players and staff members tested:

MLB Communications@MLB_PR
    The first set of results for COVID-19 testing have been jointly announced by @MLB and the @MLB_PLAYERS. https://t.co/zlqZPuxLxh

No Cubs positive .... read that too but couldn't find it again to post link.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Better results than I would have expected. I think that almost qualifies as good news.

Off topic. Listening to game 7 on the score. Did we ever get a definitive answer on whether Joe called for Baez to bunt in the 9th, or if he did it on his own?

That Quintana trade might just go down as one of, if not the worst trade this franchise has ever made. Quintana’s downfall has been every bit comical as it has been depressing.

At this point I might pay him $10 million a year to be my #5 starting pitcher
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 07-04-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    That Quintana trade might just go down as one of, if not the worst trade this franchise has ever made. Quintana’s downfall has been every bit comical as it has been depressing.

At this point I might pay him $10 million a year to be my #5 starting pitcher
    Nope. League average pitcher for a league average DH and IMO a future closer. Not great but nowhere near the level of Brock/Broglio.
    Screw sabermetics.

2020 MLB Thread (Covid shutdown Edition)

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Nope. League average pitcher for a league average DH and IMO a future closer. Not great but nowhere near the level of Brock/Broglio.
    Easily the worst trade in modern Cubs history.

Did you see what Eloy did his first year? We're guna easily lose this trade just based on Eloy. If Cease is a future good closer, just rubs salt in the wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post

Did you see what Eloy did his first year? We're guna easily lose this trade just based on Eloy. If Cease is a future good closer, just rubs salt in the wounds.
    Eloy didn't have a great first season. He was terrible defensively, he added nothing on the base paths, he didn't get 9n base a ton. Yes, he hit a lot of HRs, but the ball was tilted in the direction of HRs (making his power not as impressive, considering the average was skewed).

Eloy played like a fairly good hitting DH but that's it. Doesn't mean that's all he is, but we are well past the days of "HE HIT HOMERUN, HE GOOD" levels of evaluation. This far, Eloy hasn't been nearly as impressive as youre acting.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

https://twitter.com/NBCSChicago/stat...946705922?s=19

Did I miss the part where they're changing teams in the divisions this year?
    Cubs and Sox are in the same division?

Full Schedule due to come out Monday

Have to agree. Really hard for me to think of a modern Cubs trade that was as crappy as the Q trade.

I'll take a 22 year old slugger and a young pitcher with top-of-the-rotation stuff over a middle age ball of meh that is Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Have to agree. Really hard for me to think of a modern Cubs trade that was as crappy as the Q trade.

I'll take a 22 year old slugger and a young pitcher with top-of-the-rotation stuff over a middle age ball of meh that is Q.
    Matt Garza for Chris Archer arguably was far worse. Garza provided nothing for a bad Cubs team and was questionable from day 1. Archer had turned into a top prospect, and then had multiple years of TORP production. Garza was a MORP when they traded for him and not under extensive control.

You can say "but Elooooooy" and "Quintana was meh" but at the time the Cubs had plenty of bats, needed controllable youngish pitching and almost everyone agreed the price was worth it. Hindsight is 20/20.

It's so easy to whine (as so many have incessantly done for two plus years) seeing how Quintana declined, but at the time, the Garza trade was probably worse. By a decent margin. Complaining about hindsight is blatantly stupid and counter intuitive. I get it, Q fell apart. Nothing suggested it would happen.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-04-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Matt Garza for Chris Archer arguably was far worse. Garza provided nothing for a bad Cubs team and was questionable from day 1. Archer had turned into a top prospect, and then had multiple years of TORP production. Garza was a MORP when they traded for him and not under extensive control.

You can say "but Elooooooy" and "Quintana was meh" but at the time the Cubs had plenty of bats, needed controllable youngish pitching and almost everyone agreed the price was worth it. Hindsight is 20/20.

It's so easy to whine (as so many have incessantly done for two plus years) seeing how Quintana declined, but at the time, the Garza trade was probably worse. By a decent margin. Complaining about hindsight is blatantly stupid and counter intuitive. I get it, Q fell apart. Nothing suggested it would happen.

Yeah Garza is a good one, I forgot about that.

Worse than the Q trade? We will see.

And honestly at the time, Plenty of people questioned if Eloy and Cease was too much to give up for Q. This isn't one of those trades everybody loved at the time and now people are backing away from it.

Can't really tell if Theo and Jed ran out of all their luck after 2016 or if they just kind of weirdly got worse at their jobs somehow.
    Last edited by Cubs420; 07-04-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Eloy didn't have a great first season. He was terrible defensively, he added nothing on the base paths, he didn't get 9n base a ton. Yes, he hit a lot of HRs, but the ball was tilted in the direction of HRs (making his power not as impressive, considering the average was skewed).

Eloy played like a fairly good hitting DH but that's it. Doesn't mean that's all he is, but we are well past the days of "HE HIT HOMERUN, HE GOOD" levels of evaluation. This far, Eloy hasn't been nearly as impressive as youre acting.

The front office should have had the foresight to know the DH wasn’t that far away in the NL. After all, that was their justification for keeping Schwarber after 2017, and Eloy is/was a way better prospect. Even if all he amounts to is a DH, his bat and potential is something this team sorely needs.

Now, if the Cubs don’t compete in this shortened season KB is as good as gone and the team isn’t close to competing for a chip.

I’m getting the “leave us alone we already won one” vibe from this ownership and management and I don’t like it honestly. That’s why they won’t spend in FA and the sloppy trades aren’t upgrading the team
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 07-04-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Yeah Garza is a good one, I forgot about that.

Worse than the Q trade? We will see.

And honestly at the time, Plenty of people questioned if Eloy and Cease was too much to give up for Q. This isn't one of those trades everybody loved at the time and now people are backing away from it.

Can't really tell if Theo and Jed ran out of all their luck after 2016 or if they just kind of weirdly got worse at their jobs somehow.
    The "we will see" acts like the Cubs should have had a crystal ball. They didn't. Its impossible.

Thats why its dumb. The Garza trade was way the hell worse because of the information available at the trade day. Yeah it sucks Q took a ****. Theo didn't know about that. Thats not his fault.

People can "question" the trade. But almost.everyone agreed it was fair value. Because it was. In 2016 it was entirely fair value. Sucks it didn't go well. But at the time, all we can grade,

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-04-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Wow, you're the first person I've seen that has said this.
    I was telling people this since the year they traded for him..

I always said they traded some good young talent at the time for an at best MOR type starter for a struggling team that was trending downwards the last 2 seasons and didn't do anything else to upgrade the team that offseason

The argument I'd get back was that he has TOR type stuff and the best one was that he was MVP in the ALCS, I would say ok but he sucked in his start in the ALDS and WS...lol

It was a good trade for the Cubs at the time. No point crying over spilled milk.

Ignore the ERA. RPs ERA are already problematic. These guys just aren't good bets to remain good run limiters. They won't get that lucky. And both, as I have said, will fall into the "mediocre to sucktastic" category. At best youre getting mediocre "who cares" arms. Thats the best case here for both. That they simply don't implode. How is that an acceptable bar for the Cubs? Shoot higher.
    They can't shoot higher they don't have any money. So they signed these reclamation projects. We're filling out the back end of the bullpen with these guys. I guess we'll see how it goes. If one of them pitches well for us i'll be happy.