Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 110 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1713
    Iíve been a little out of the loop, but they are talking about 30 man rosters to start, right? If so, the bullpen will be a lot more than 8 guys. Theyíll need an 11-12 man bullpen to start the year.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Iíve been a little out of the loop, but they are talking about 30 man rosters to start, right? If so, the bullpen will be a lot more than 8 guys. Theyíll need an 11-12 man bullpen to start the year.
    30 man rosters until the 15th day of the season (so, effectively two weeks), then 28. By the 29th day you must be down to 26.

All of this is even more incentive for the Cubs to carry Carraway. Those spots will be used mainly for pitchers as SPs are going to go roughly 4(ish) innings to start the season.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Our twins turned 1 today. Becoming a parent has been a truly special experience and I really try to cherish every moment as they speed by. They are a couple of beaming rays of sunshine in our lives. Watching them develop their skills and learn every day, seeing the little gears in their heads turn as they figure something out, their smiles and laughs and even their cries - its all so exciting. We went through hell to finally have these experiences and it was so worth it. I will give everything I possibly can to enrich their lives and nurture their curiosities. We are so darn blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Almost all of those 17 arms are mediocre to sucktastic. Most of them will fall short of mediocre. I have no faith in the Cubs to randomly select the three best. Because no one would get that lucky. Its a complete crop shoot.
    Most of the new guys they invited into camp this year have had success in the MLB and had bad years last year. Go look at Tepera's stats, at Winkler, Sadler.

Carraway has very good stuff, ok, so does Marquez, Mekkes, Maples. Carraway has been signed as a pro for a week and hasn't thrown a pitch. Sure bring him to camp I guess, i'd bring every arm we could. I just don't see any reason to fast-track him when there's other guys like Mekkes and Marquez in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Most of the new guys they invited into camp this year have had success in the MLB and had bad years last year. Go look at Tepera's stats, at Winkler, Sadler.

Carraway has very good stuff, ok, so does Marquez, Mekkes, Maples. Carraway has been signed as a pro for a week and hasn't thrown a pitch. Sure bring him to camp I guess, i'd bring every arm we could. I just don't see any reason to fast-track him when there's other guys like Mekkes and Marquez in front of him.
    Have YOU looked at the stats? Winkler has been horrible since his injury. A major question of what he is. Casey Sadler sucked despite a strong ERA. He pitched like a AAA pitcher in the MLB according to fWAR and FIP. Tepera was a negative fWAR player or a AAA replacement level in every season but 1. Literally all of his value comes from one year. These guys suck or are hurt and possibly suck now.

There's a reason generally good FOs have given up on those arms and the Cubs got them for free off the heap.

Ignore the ERA. RPs ERA are already problematic. These guys just aren't good bets to remain good run limiters. They won't get that lucky. And both, as I have said, will fall into the "mediocre to sucktastic" category. At best youre getting mediocre "who cares" arms. Thats the best case here for both. That they simply don't implode. How is that an acceptable bar for the Cubs? Shoot higher.

Marquez should be on the roster too. They are not mutually exclusive. Put them both on the team in the pen and have two LHPs throwing 100mph. You're also overeating Mekkes stuff. Hes a low-mid 90s RP. His stuff isn't that great. He gets by with a long frame and deceptive delivery. Not stuff. He also has very major control issues. His stuff isn't in the same park as Carraway. Carraway also doesn't have anywhere near the control issues as Maples. Another unfair comparison.

I'd be fine with Mekkes, though, over the bums like Sadler, Brothers, Megill, and Tepera too. Theres at least some upside.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-03-2020 at 11:10 AM.

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/sta...031650304?s=21

Strong words from Joe. Itís obviously directed to Trout who voiced concerns about playing. I would be shocked if Trout didnít play. Iím sure he doesnít want to lose a year of his prime any more than I donít want to see him lose a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://twitter.com/buster_espn/stat...374635009?s=21

This is also significant because I thought we would get 2022. Guess we will get 2023 now. I think Philadelphia gets 2026 maybe. But 2023-2025 are open.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Have YOU looked at the stats? Winkler has been horrible since his injury. A major question of what he is. Casey Sadler sucked despite a strong ERA. He pitched like a AAA pitcher in the MLB according to fWAR and FIP. Tepera was a negative fWAR player or a AAA replacement level in every season but 1. Literally all of his value comes from one year. These guys suck or are hurt and possibly suck now.

There's a reason generally good FOs have given up on those arms and the Cubs got them for free off the heap.

Ignore the ERA. RPs ERA are already problematic. These guys just aren't good bets to remain good run limiters. They won't get that lucky. And both, as I have said, will fall into the "mediocre to sucktastic" category. At best youre getting mediocre "who cares" arms. Thats the best case here for both. That they simply don't implode. How is that an acceptable bar for the Cubs? Shoot higher.

Marquez should be on the roster too. They are not mutually exclusive. Put them both on the team in the pen and have two LHPs throwing 100mph. You're also overeating Mekkes stuff. Hes a low-mid 90s RP. His stuff isn't that great. He gets by with a long frame and deceptive delivery. Not stuff. He also has very major control issues. His stuff isn't in the same park as Carraway. Carraway also doesn't have anywhere near the control issues as Maples. Another unfair comparison.

I'd be fine with Mekkes, though, over the bums like Sadler, Brothers, Megill, and Tepera too. Theres at least some upside.

Mekkes strikes me as the type to do really well in run prevention over 15-20 innings this season and having everyone crown him the future closer

2020 MLB Thread (Covid shutdown Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    https://twitter.com/buster_espn/stat...374635009?s=21

This is also significant because I thought we would get 2022. Guess we will get 2023 now. I think Philadelphia gets 2026 maybe. But 2023-2025 are open.

Philadelphia was indeed awarded the 2026 ASG, because of the 250th year of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

So 2023-2025 are available

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Philadelphia was indeed awarded the 2026 ASG, because of the 250th year of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

So 2023-2025 are available
    Well, I feel like 2022 is probably a 50/50 proposition at best with the CBA. I bet LA gets it in 2023.

If the MLBPA does intend to file a grievance (I say if) this sports attorney lays out a good foundational case on how MLB blatantly violated the "Negotiate in Good Faith" concept. I agree with it and it is a good 2 minute 20 second listen.

https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL/sta...153594883?s=19

2020 MLB Thread (Covid shutdown Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    https://twitter.com/bnightengale/sta...031650304?s=21

Strong words from Joe. Itís obviously directed to Trout who voiced concerns about playing. I would be shocked if Trout didnít play. Iím sure he doesnít want to lose a year of his prime any more than I donít want to see him lose a year.

Nightengale sucks.

https://twitter.com/bmags94/status/1...885124608?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Yes. He seems very odd.

http://twitter.com/BauerOutage/statu...71224300650497

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

From MLB ...
    Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association have released results from the first round of coronavirus testing.
    Per a joint release from the two groups, there were 38 positive cases from 19 different teams out of 3,185 players and staff members tested:

MLB Communications@MLB_PR
    The first set of results for COVID-19 testing have been jointly announced by @MLB and the @MLB_PLAYERS. https://t.co/zlqZPuxLxh

No Cubs positive .... read that too but couldn't find it again to post link.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk