Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 102 of 115 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1713
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I was listening to the Cubs Related podcast earlier and they said just by trading Q we would be under the luxury tax. I think they were talking about at the August 31st deadline too. So many teams will be in it, and I think itís possible he could have many suitors. It doesnít even matter what we get back. As they said, just give those remaining 6 or so starts to Alec Mills or even Chatwood or make it a bullpen day. Youíre not losing that much value. Iíd trade Q any day of the week, if it meant only losing 6 starts from him and being under the luxury tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iíd have to do the math again, but before all this happened I think I remember a July 31 trade of Q wasnít going to be enough to get under the tax.

I donít think it really matters anymore anyway. The thought at the time was that if they went under this year they could blow by the tax next year. I donít think thereís any chance they exceed the tax in 2021 after all this, so they might as well stay over this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Iíd have to do the math again, but before all this happened I think I remember a July 31 trade of Q wasnít going to be enough to get under the tax.

I donít think it really matters anymore anyway. The thought at the time was that if they went under this year they could blow by the tax next year. I donít think thereís any chance they exceed the tax in 2021 after all this, so they might as well stay over this year.
    It didnít sound right and it seems like they broke it down, but I wasnít paying real close attention. I agree that I doubt we spend regardless, but I donít think itís a bad idea in the grand scheme of things. I mean youíre talking about losing a handful of starts from Q. If the numbers did work to where that would get us under, I think we should do it. We will be fine covering those starts. Mills was solid last year, especially for a number 5 guy. We will have plenty of pen arms to run out there. I wish Iíd had paid closer attention to what they said now, I will listen again tomorrow. Itís not a big deal either way though, because I feel like free agency is going to be weird this offseason. Thereís too much uncertainty for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they try to add wins, not subtract them. I fully expect they'll be crying broke again next season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I hope they try to add wins, not subtract them. I fully expect they'll be crying broke again next season anyway.
    Yeah, just go for it. We know they arenít spending much this offseason. Who knows if this season even finishes, but at this point just give it a shot and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Yeah, just go for it. We know they arenít spending much this offseason. Who knows if this season even finishes, but at this point just give it a shot and hope for the best.
    The trade market should be interesting. I wonder if a team willing to spend money could snag some salary dump players for cheap from teams not expecting to be competitive. Or maybe teams will be even stingier then normal and asking for a kings ransom because every win matters more. I'm hoping for the former, not that i really expect the Ricketts to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    The trade market should be interesting. I wonder if a team willing to spend money could snag some salary dump players for cheap from teams not expecting to be competitive. Or maybe teams will be even stingier then normal and asking for a kings ransom because every win matters more. I'm hoping for the former, not that i really expect the Ricketts to spend money.
    Yeah, Iím guessing trade costs will be very low if teams are willing to take on money. I just doubt many teams are willing to take on money right now.

COVID has been a negative with Byrant's contract situation for the Cubs.

First, assuming Bryant is still with the Cubs at the end of the season, he'll be really hard to trade until there's a COVID vaccine. The unknowns around COVID mean there could be a 2nd, even a 3rd wave. Without a vaccine, teams won't know if the season will start on time in 2021 or how many fans will be in the stands next year if there is a season. Team won't want to pull a Mookie Betts deal and trade young talent for a 1-year rental of Bryant where they have no idea how many games the MLB will play in 2021.

On top of that, MLB owners are taking a loss in revenue in 2020, and this off-season unless everyone gets vaccinated, GMs/owners will have no idea how many games will be played in 2021, what attendance will be like, and overall what their revenue will be. This will mean taking on Bryant's somewhat hefty 2021 salary and trading away cheap young players is a large financial risk for team.

In the news people are already talking about how the FA market this offseason is going to be terrible for players with team revenues down and big unknowns about the 2021 season.

Hopefully they actually get it done this time, they were close before

https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/statu...692362246?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Hopefully they actually get it done this time, they were close before

https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/statu...692362246?s=19
    Letís hope they do.

Donít really want to pay for another tv thing just for 1 damn channel

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Part of me almost hopes we don't have a season. It'll be fun. But this place will be a war zone the second any player goes 0-10 over 3 games or some garbage player goes 5-7 with a HR.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Lol what kind of reason is that for not wanting a season?

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Letís hope they do.

Donít really want to pay for another tv thing just for 1 damn channel
    Stream the games online if you can, every single Cubs game I watched last year was from an online stream and I had very few issues.

I'm not giving Marquee a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Lol what kind of reason is that for not wanting a season?
    ...a facetious one? If you think I'd rather not watch baseball because of posters on here then I'm not sure what to tell you. Clearly that was tongue in cheek.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 06-26-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Contreras should be our DH. It gets him into the lineup everyday. Caratini can catch, and we can carry a 3rd catcher. Contreras could catch once maybe twice a week. I'd rather have his bat in the lineup every day than his glove in the lineup 5 games a week.

Speaking of the DH, can anyone confirm that itís actually for 2020 and 2021? I know that was the agreement but then I thought I heard it was only for 2020 and canít seem to find any confirmation about 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Speaking of the DH, can anyone confirm that itís actually for 2020 and 2021? I know that was the agreement but then I thought I heard it was only for 2020 and canít seem to find any confirmation about 2021.
    Itís only for this year. They didnít come to a deal so theyíre only allowing universal DH for 2020 only.

No expanded playoffs either

2016 World Series Champions!!!