Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 85 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1713
    Owners got what they wanted here comes the 50 game season . Those CBA negotiations will be ugly .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

El Mago

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...166121472?s=19

Dont know how this season will end up but the owners better fire Manfred and hire someone that will bring the two sides together when they negotiate the next CBA

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

Dont know how this season will end up but the owners better fire Manfred and hire someone that will bring the two sides together when they negotiate the next CBA
    Manfred works for the owners. He's literally doing exactly what they want. He's going to give them the 50 games they want. They're not going to fire him. Manfred is not there to be an arbiter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 06-13-2020 at 11:13 PM.

2020 MLB Thread (Covid shutdown Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

It won’t matter who the commissioner is if the owners stance doesn’t change. The commissioner is just the front person for the wishes of ownership.

Someone asked about Theo becoming commissioner. I hope that doesn’t ever happen. It would be such a let down to see him as the owners messenger.
    Last edited by CP_414; 06-13-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    It won’t matter who the commissioner is if the owners stance doesn’t change. The commissioner is just the front person for the wishes of ownership.

Someone asked about Theo becoming commissioner. I hope that doesn’t ever happen. It would be such a let down to see him as the owners messenger.
    Theo would be a good commissioner. He's a good communicator. Maybe he could find a way to talk some sense into a lot of these mult-millionaires with high school educations. They all seem to think they should get more money than god to play baseball.

It would be nice if the average MLB player's salary dropped so they no longer were getting paid exponentially more than what players are making elsewhere in the world - then if the owners took that all that saved money and invested it in more minor league teams and personnel to help more players develop, and so that players in the minors could have more livable wages.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

It looks like the owners are dead set on the percent they are willing to pay. It's about 31%
    Last edited by thawv; 06-14-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Theo would be a good commissioner. He's a good communicator. Maybe he could find a way to talk some sense into a lot of these mult-millionaires with high school educations. They all seem to think they should get more money than god to play baseball.

It would be nice if the average MLB player's salary dropped so they no longer were getting paid exponentially more than what players are making elsewhere in the world - then if the owners took that all that saved money and invested it in more minor league teams and personnel to help more players develop, and so that players in the minors could have more livable wages.
    How do those boots taste?

Mlb players don’t make significantly more than players in KBO or NPB because of the kindness of owners. Mlb players generate significantly more revenues that any other baseball league. The players are the product and the product drives revenues thus they are more valuable than players in other leagues. I know you seem to think Mlb players are replaceable, but they aren’t. It’s been tried. They drive a $10-$11 billion per year industry and have seen their share of revenues decrease. Owners are entirely replaceable.

If you think the owners would want to “invest” more in minor leaguers, you clearly aren’t paying attention.

When someone is a prodigy in their industry it is pretty common that they “go pro” before graduating from college. With baseball players you use this as a way to insinuate that they are dumb and lucky to have the wealth they have but with other successful people who dropped out of college or never went to college, I doubt you’d do the same.
    Last edited by CP_414; 06-14-2020 at 09:05 AM.

How do those boots taste?

Mlb players don’t make significantly more than players in KBO or NPB because of the kindness of owners. Mlb players generate significantly more revenues that any other baseball league. The players are the product and the product drives revenues thus they are more valuable than players in other leagues. I know you seem to think Mlb players are replaceable, but they aren’t. It’s been tried. They drive a $10-$11 billion per year industry and have seen their share of revenues decrease. Owners are entirely replaceable.

If you think the owners would want to “invest” more in minor leaguers, you clearly aren’t paying attention.

When someone is a prodigy in their industry it is pretty common that they “go pro” before graduating from college. With baseball players you use this as a way to insinuate that they are dumb and lucky to have the wealth they have but with other successful people who dropped out of college or never went to college, I doubt you’d do the same.
    Well said.

Also, I got a huge chuckle with his minor league comment. Sure, in his ideology, owners want to invest more in the minors, when in reality the owners want about 42 minor league teams to be disbanded, not to mention hundreds of minor league players will watch their hopes and dreams taken away from them because of the greedy owners. FOH with that comment.
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 06-14-2020 at 09:34 AM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Well said.

Also, I got a huge chuckle with his minor league comment. Sure, in his ideology, owners want to invest more in the minors, when in reality the owners want about 42 minor league teams to be disbanded, not to mention hundreds of minor league players will watch their hopes and dreams taken away from them because of the greedy owners. FOH with that comment.
    Thanks. The whole conversation is so frustrating. Year after year after year we are told the owners are the risk takers and that means they should benefit the way they do when times are good. Then for the first time in generations the industry faces a year of economic hardship and those same “risk takers” can’t take a loss? The players need to subsidize the loss? Nope. You know in a couple years when times are good again and payrolls are lower than they are today people will point to this season as the risk of ownership that justifies them reducing player salaries. The owners have not negotiated in good faith at any point. They basically repurposed the same offer for months while running down the clock to get the 50-60ish game season they always wanted.

I hate the “millionaires vs billionaires” thing too. For one, a pretty significant percentage of players are not millionaires and some owners aren’t billionaires, but why are people acting like those numbers are close to the same thing? A million is to a billion like a thousand is to a million. If you received a dollar every second 24/7, you’d get a million every 11-12 days. It would take almost 32 years to get a billion. A million seconds ago it was June 2nd. A billion seconds ago a lot of people on this board weren’t alive yet.

I understand that most people don’t have a million dollars, but it’s crazy how many people act like these numbers are the same.
    Last edited by CP_414; 06-14-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    They have a funny way of showing it. I’m going to guess the season is in line with the 56-58ish games pay they’ve been offering in their last few proposals.

They have a funny way of showing it. I’m going to guess the season is in line with the 56-58ish games pay they’ve been offering in their last few proposals.
    Yeah, at best, they're bluffing and hoping the players will just agree to less money for no real reason. Anyway, it's Jim Bowden, so it's probably an indication that the opposite is true anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Yeah, at best, they're bluffing and hoping the players will just agree to less money for no real reason. Anyway, it's Jim Bowden, so it's probably an indication that the opposite is true anyway.
    Heyman tweeted something similar this morning. The owners seem to want the message that it won’t be 48 games out there.
    Last edited by CP_414; 06-14-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Heyman tweeted something similar this morning. The owners seem to want the message that it won’t be 48 games out there.
    I won't give them any credit for a 56 game schedule, either. 8 games ins't movement.

If they come back at 72 games full-pro-rata, they should have simply agreed with the MLBPA at a number around this level.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I won't give them any credit for a 56 game schedule, either. 8 games ins't movement.

If they come back at 72 games full-pro-rata, they should have simply agreed with the MLBPA at a number around this level.
    This. All of this.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Page 85 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast