Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 109 of 115 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1713
    Gonna have to find someone to eat up those 5 1/3 innings a start.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Quintana out probably a month

Lacerated his left thumb while washing dishes..
    Required surgery to repair nerve and stitches, will be reevaluated in 2 weeks
    Michelle Q should learn how to do that or he could buy a dishwasher with his 14million

If there are legit games to be won, a playoffs to be had and a Championship for the taking, who gives a crap if the season is only 60 games? I really don't care what "history" has to say about who wins in 2020 as long as you have the World Series title for the year.
    Screw sabermetics.

Let Brailyn be the Ďopenerí in place for Q. He can throw 2-3 innings every 5th day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if thereís a willingness to buy very low in a trade for a starting pitcher. The Rockies owners is one of the worst in the game. If you can take Jon Grays salary off his hands with the uncertainty around this season and Gray going into his last year of arbitration next year, that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    If there are legit games to be won, a playoffs to be had and a Championship for the taking, who gives a crap if the season is only 60 games? I really don't care what "history" has to say about who wins in 2020 as long as you have the World Series title for the year.
    I'm not saying I care about the length of the season at all. I'm saying that without fans and/or noise for the games, it's not going to feel like a real baseball game. It's not going to feel like a pennant run and not a real WS victory. Think about the feels from the moans/groans/cheers of 2016. Now go re watch Dexter's lead off homerun without fans/noise or anything else. It just isnt the same.

Manfred clarifying comments vŪa MLBTR:

Quote Originally Posted by BearDown1223 View Post
    I'm not saying I care about the length of the season at all. I'm saying that without fans and/or noise for the games, it's not going to feel like a real baseball game. It's not going to feel like a pennant run and not a real WS victory. Think about the feels from the moans/groans/cheers of 2016. Now go re watch Dexter's lead off homerun without fans/noise or anything else. It just isnt the same.
    If there are no fans, they should set up cameras at different spots in the stands and let people pay a couple bucks to join a zoom call with a view from that spot. They could put the people zooming in on the video boards.

It sounds like the Cubs expect to be able to have 20% of the seats full soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Yep. Even if nothing changes with the service time process it would be pathetic for a franchise like the Cubs play service time games with a bullpen arm. If he belongs, put him on the team.
    My point is, better to bring him up when he's ready or we're stuck in a corner with not much choice. We have a zillion other other pen arms in camp, give them a shot first. If we need help in Aug. or Sept. he's there if needed.

If they change the service time rules i highly doubt it would be retroactive.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Quintana out probably a month

Lacerated his left thumb while washing dishes..
    Required surgery to repair nerve and stitches, will be reevaluated in 2 weeks
    I wish they would come up with better ******** when giving fake reasons for injuries. Seriously this is the best they could come up with? Why are MLB players so much more likely to have injuries like this than regular people? How the hell do you need surgery from a dishes incident? Did he just punch his arm into a full sink full of water not knowing what was there? In what world does a guy making the money he does not have a dishwasher? How the hell do you cause so much damage that you need surgery without this being BS?

This is horseshit. I'm not mad he got hurt living day to day. I'm mad they can't be honest.

2020 MLB Thread (Covid shutdown Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    My point is, better to bring him up when he's ready or we're stuck in a corner with not much choice. We have a zillion other other pen arms in camp, give them a shot first. If we need help in Aug. or Sept. he's there if needed.

Thereís certainly no point to brining him up before heís ready, but nobody is suggesting that. I think what people are suggesting is that if he belongs, he should be on the roster. If heís one of the 12 or so best relievers, put him on the team.

I donít care about service time for a relief pitcher at all. If heís the rare relief pitcher that you want for more than 6 years, be grateful and pay him reliever money.

Simply having a lot of something means very little. I'd rather have 10 quarters than 40 pennies. The Cubs, yes, have "a lot of" relievers. Most of them are "meh" to suck. Guys like Sadler, Brothers, Rea, Mills, Maples, Hultzen, Norwood, Underwood, Tepera, Megill, Winkler...who cares about those guys? You might find one winner in the entire group. And that's if you're lucky. Maybe you'll get two. But most likely the best you're getting is 2-4 servicable guys and a lot of chewed up gum. And the inevitably is that you're going to struggle, especially in a super short season, with RPs who already suffer from small sample size issues, to identify which those 2-4 serviceable guys are over the garbage heap guys. This is a crew that generally isn't winning with overpowering stuff.

No one is suggesting that Carraway be on the roster if hes clearly not ready. But theres a very strong likelihood simply because his stuff is so good already, that's he's among the best 7-8 BP arms. The upside Carraway carries, especially in a 60 game season, is far more, while having relatively similar down side, as a loser like Casey Sadler, a Colin Rea, or a Ryan Tepera.

If you want to argue he's not ready, then you can see what he's like in camp. If you want to argue "but the service time!!!" the Cubs can get out of here with that cheap *** mentality.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-02-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    No one is suggesting that Carraway be on the roster if hes clearly not ready. But theres a very strong likelihood simply because his stuff is so good already, that's he's among the best 7-8 BP arms. The upside Carraway carries, especially in a 60 game season, is far more, while having relatively similar down side, as a loser like Casey Sadler, a Colin Rea, or a Ryan Tepera.
    If we carry 8 pen arms, right now we pretty much have Kimbrel, Jeffress, Wick, Ryan, and probably Wieck as a lock. So we have 3 spots up for grabs, and 17 guys in camp vying for those spots (18 if you include Mills). Odds are good we'll find 3 guys who can get guys out.

Plus they have 10 roster spots remaining on the list of 60 to add more. Nobody gave a crap about Kyle Ryan, or Jorge De La Rosa, or Jesse Chavez before they arrived on the Cubs, but they did well for us.

One guy we should have in camp given Quintana's injury is Cory Abbott, our minor league pitcher of the year last year and he's a starter.

If we carry 8 pen arms, right now we pretty much have Kimbrel, Jeffress, Wick, Ryan, and probably Wieck as a lock. So we have 3 spots up for grabs, and 17 guys in camp vying for those spots (18 if you include Mills). Odds are good we'll find 3 guys who can get guys out.

Plus they have 10 roster spots remaining on the list of 60 to add more. Nobody gave a crap about Kyle Ryan, or Jorge De La Rosa, or Jesse Chavez before they arrived on the Cubs, but they did well for us.

One guy we should have in camp given Quintana's injury is Cory Abbott, our minor league pitcher of the year last year and he's a starter.
    Almost all of those 17 arms are mediocre to sucktastic. Most of them will fall short of mediocre. I have no faith in the Cubs to randomly select the three best. Because no one would get that lucky. Its a complete crop shoot.

And you're right, the Cubs found Jesse Chavez. They also watched Joe Smith, Justin Wilson, Brad Brach, and others suck. Again, BP arms are a **** show when they're not top end arms.

So yeah, I prefer the Cubs to go with a player who has actual upside. The trash pile youre speaking of is generally trash. There's a reason the Cubs loaded up on them. Almost all will fail.

I reiterate that there is a very real and legitimate chance that Carraway, simply due to his stuff is better than the trash heap. Honestly I think its likely. That trash pile of relivers we have is in no way inspiring.

I'm not against Abbot being in camp. I think he's a BORP at the end of the day. But Mills sucks. So why not?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-02-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Nobody gives a crap about anybody until they are good. Middle relievers are a dime a dozen and as unpredictable as the weather. Also who knew Blake Treinen would be trash last year after dominating everybody in 2018? Who knew Edwin Diaz would be trash last year after being almost un-hittable in Seattle? If Carraway proves he can get outs in camp, he absolutely has to be on the team. Heís a freaking reliever. Nobody cares about his clock starting. That goes for anybody. You donít HAVE to hold guys down for 3 years before calling them up. They get called up when they are ready. It just takes longer for bats or starting pitchers than a college reliever. You donít want to bring up a bat before they are ready and start the clock, especially when youíre talking about top prospects like a Brennan Davis.

I want to see Brailyn get a shot this year. I imagine DUJ gets a pen spot. Carraway will be there as well if he looks like he can handle it. Mills and Chatwood will be in the rotation. Not sure what happens with Hultzen, maybe he gets a shot. Cotton is intriguing. Maples canít throw strikes. And then thereís just a bunch of dudes... Brothers, Megill, Norwood, Sadler, Tepera, Winkler... whatever.

Maybe Alzolay can rebound. Heís got the stuff, he just needs to figure out how to use it. I will give you Corey Abbott. He deserves a shot for sure. Iím quite certain he will be added to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk