Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 90 of 115 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1713
    I think that the players were originally going to get their service time for a shortened season.

If they don't have a season at all, does anybody know how the service time is going to work?

2020 MLB Thread (Covid shutdown Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I think that the players were originally going to get their service time for a shortened season.

If they don't have a season at all, does anybody know how the service time is going to work?
    As far as I know, it was agreed upon that players would still get service time even if the entire season was cancelled. They would accrue service time based on what they got from the 2019 season.

Iíll have to check to see if thatís still the case

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan08 View Post
    Why I said that they need a new Commissioner..

Yea the owners brought him in but his job as COMMISSIONER of baseball is to make decisions that best for the game and fans, and to be fair and do what best for both players and owners

Since day 1 back in April he should of been working daily with both sides on a reopening plan for May,June,July so they would be ready to go when it was clear too, and tell them if something not worked out by the time we're told we can plan on starting up again then I'll make a final and fair decision for both sides so there no hook up..

Instead he sat back and allowed both sides make offers through the media that were ridiculous and never going to be agreed upon by either side..

He didn't take charge when needed to like other commissioners have done in the other major sports and there should be ZERO confidence in him in making sure there no stoppage or strike when they negotiate a new CBA deal if he couldn't handle this

Absolute insanity

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

Yea the owners brought him in but his job as COMMISSIONER of baseball is to make decisions that best for the game and fans, and to be fair and do what best for both players and owners

Since day 1 back in April he should of been working daily with both sides on a reopening plan for May,June,July so they would be ready to go when it was clear too, and tell them if something not worked out by the time we're told we can plan on starting up again then I'll make a final and fair decision for both sides so there no hook up..

Instead he sat back and allowed both sides make offers through the media that were ridiculous and never going to be agreed upon by either side..

He didn't take charge when needed to like other commissioners have done in the other major sports and there should be ZERO confidence in him in making sure there no stoppage or strike when they negotiate a new CBA deal if he couldn't handle this
    You continue to have a deeply flawed understanding of what the MLB commissioner is, what he can do, and what he's going to do. His job is not to do what "is best for baseball". I know that in an idealistic world that's the way it'd work, but I'm sorry, we don't live in Fairy Tale Land with happy endings guaranteed. In our world, the owners are his bosses. He's chosen by the owners. And would be fired by the owners.

If Manfred simply "makes a call" at this juncture, he's in a no win situation. If he calls 50 games, the players will file a grievance. If he calls 80 games, his bosses are going to lose more money then they want to, and who's going to get blamed? He's not going to put his job on the line like that. He wants to continue to have a career.

Other commissioners are in a very different spot. First, they were at the point of their seasons being 2/3rds done already. The MLB hasn't even started. They had 2/3rds of their profits in their pockets. The MLB is sitting on null. The MLB has extensive minor leagues. The NBA and the NHL...much smaller. The NBA and the NHL do not have upcoming CBA's. The MLB does. The NBA and the NHL are even seeing kickback right now...players are leery of the Orlando thing and you've got Kyrie Irving drumming up support to not play. The NHL doesn't even have a return date. Only a loose plan. It's so easy to say "well just do what those two sports did" but the MLB is in a way different situation.

Manfred gets a lot of ****, and deservedly so in most situations. But this time, I don't know what anyone wanted him to do. We have no idea how hard he's bucking the ownership in private, but they're his bosses. The owners and the players are both digging in with the CBA soon to come up, and both sides are asserting themselves. There's no where in the MLB comissioner's job that suggests he's an labor arbitration expert. Especially considering who his bosses are, it's a very good thing he's not.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 06-16-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You continue to have a deeply flawed understanding of what the MLB commissioner is, what he can do, and what he's going to do. His job is not to do what "is best for baseball". I know that in an idealistic world that's the way it'd work, but I'm sorry, we don't live in Fairy Tale Land with happy endings guaranteed. In our world, the owners are his bosses. He's chosen by the owners. And would be fired by the owners.

If Manfred simply "makes a call" at this juncture, he's in a no win situation. If he calls 50 games, the players will file a grievance. If he calls 80 games, his bosses are going to lose more money then they want to, and who's going to get blamed? He's not going to put his job on the line like that. He wants to continue to have a career.

Other commissioners are in a very different spot. First, they were at the point of their seasons being 2/3rds done already. The MLB hasn't even started. They had 2/3rds of their profits in their pockets. The MLB is sitting on null. The MLB has extensive minor leagues. The NBA and the NHL...much smaller. The NBA and the NHL do not have upcoming CBA's. The MLB does. The NBA and the NHL are even seeing kickback right now...players are leery of the Orlando thing and you've got Kyrie Irving drumming up support to not play. The NHL doesn't even have a return date. Only a loose plan. It's so easy to say "well just do what those two sports did" but the MLB is in a way different situation.

Manfred gets a lot of ****, and deservedly so in most situations. But this time, I don't know what anyone wanted him to do. We have no idea how hard he's bucking the ownership in private, but they're his bosses. The owners and the players are both digging in with the CBA soon to come up, and both sides are asserting themselves. There's no where in the MLB comissioner's job that suggests he's an labor arbitration expert. Especially considering who his bosses are, it's a very good thing he's not.
    This is why commissioners are paid the big bucks. Billionaires will pay top dollar for a meat shield.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    This is why commissioners are paid the big bucks. Billionaires will pay top dollar for a meat shield.
    They could've given me a call

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Manfred a meat shield. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

It would be nice if that was his job description. He works for the owners.

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball hires and maintains the sport's umpiring crews, and negotiates marketing, labor, and television contracts. The commissioner is chosen by a vote of the owners of the teams.

At the end of the day, the commissioner serves the owners, and if he isn't actually promoting their best interests, in the long term as well as the short, they have the power to remove him.

The commissioner and the owners only care about the owners.

https://twitter.com/broshuis/status/...132089344?s=21

More MLB bullying news: I'm hearing that a couple MLB teams are trying to require newly drafted players to sign 2021 contracts instead of 2020, as would be customary. Why? It would give them an extra year of control, essentially turning 7 yr contracts into 8 yr.

The contracts are already way too long, and this is just ridiculous. For a player who is 22 when drafted, it means the contract would last until the player is 30. And unless the player was a non-drafted FA, the player had no say in which team selected him.

Page 90 of 115 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast