Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 106 of 115 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1713
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman85 View Post
    Yea the shortened season does make it tougher in that regard. Puts more emphasis on r top 3 guys if Kimbrel, jefferies, and wick.

As cool as it would be Iím not in favor of Carraway getting called up, unless itís for a 10 game post season stretch or for the actual playoffs (assuming heís pitching well). It sounds like heís close, but still has control issues...Iíd rather bring him up next year.

I agree w a previous post, hoping for DUJ to step up, I also kinda like weick, and Ryan did impress last year. Iíve liked maples stuff for a couple years...fingers crossed 🤞 on him too.
    In 60 games, with no MiLB season, there's almost zero risk to letting him chuck it. Yeah, he's got some control issues, but he's got the stuff to survive it, and the Cubs don't have a ton of better on paper options once you get past the top 3-5 guys. Let him learn on the job with this kind of a year and try to catch lightening.

Ask yourself this: what's the best case scenario of Carraway vs someone like Rex Brothers/Jharrel Cotton/Casey Sadler? Probably far in the way of Carraway as with guys like that, you're basically dealing with the hope that they're simply average, decent, okay relievers where as Carraway could be legitimately shut down.

The worst case for all 3 is that they're really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    In 60 games, with no MiLB season, there's almost zero risk to letting him chuck it. Yeah, he's got some control issues, but he's got the stuff to survive it, and the Cubs don't have a ton of better on paper options once you get past the top 3-5 guys. Let him learn on the job with this kind of a year and try to catch lightening.

Ask yourself this: what's the best case scenario of Carraway vs someone like Rex Brothers/Jharrel Cotton/Casey Sadler? Probably far in the way of Carraway as with guys like that, you're basically dealing with the hope that they're simply average, decent, okay relievers where as Carraway could be legitimately shut down.

The worst case for all 3 is that they're really bad.
    Iím sure heís better then those guys. I think heís worth the risk if weíve established weíre contenders...but I do see risk calling him up if heís not ready. If his control is off and we throw this kid directly to the bigs...he gets shelled, itís possible that could damage his psyche for an extended period and hurt his overall development.

I get it tho, r bullpen looks weak...Carraway would be a nice addition, I think we should see what have first. Letís at least make Carrawayís first professional pitch somewhere besides a playoff intense big league game.

Iím sure heís better then those guys. I think heís worth the risk if weíve established weíre contenders...but I do see risk calling him up if heís not ready. If his control is off and we throw this kid directly to the bigs...he gets shelled, itís possible that could damage his psyche for an extended period and hurt his overall development.

I get it tho, r bullpen looks weak...Carraway would be a nice addition, I think we should see what have first. Letís at least make Carrawayís first professional pitch somewhere besides a playoff intense big league game.
    If Carraway is so weak and fragile mentally that 10 bad games the MLB level ruins his development, he was never going to make the MLB to begin with.

The Cubs lose almost nothing by going with a Carraway over someone like a Sadler. They gain a pitcher with far better stuff. Perhaps he's not ready. If he's so far not ready, he's going to show that in a few weeks during "Summer Camp". As long as he shows he's basically ready (he's widely considered to be the most MLB ready RP in the draft), I think he should be on the roster. As should Marquez. A BP with Wick/Weick/Ryan/Marquez/Carraway lead up to Kimbrel could potentially be one of the very, very best in the entire league. And in a summer that's going to start with SP's going only 3-4 innings, that could be the difference in making the playoffs and not.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 06-29-2020 at 07:13 PM.

If Carraway is so weak and fragile mentally that 10 bad games the MLB level ruins his development, he was never going to make the MLB to begin with.

The Cubs lose almost nothing by going with a Carraway over someone like a Sadler. They gain a pitcher with far better stuff. Perhaps he's not ready. If he's so far not ready, he's going to show that in a few weeks during "Summer Camp". As long as he shows he's basically ready (he's widely considered to be the most MLB ready RP in the draft), I think he should be on the roster. As should Marquez. A BP with Wick/Weick/Ryan/Marquez/Carraway lead up to Kimbrel could potentially be one of the very, very best in the entire league. And in a summer that's going to start with SP's going only 3-4 innings, that could be the difference in making the playoffs and not.
    I hear ya, kid is nasty from the left side...I donít think 10 games would ruin his career, possibly stunt his growth/development...bc he canít work on aspects of his game as easily. And yea immediate high pressure innings from a rook seems a bit reckless (even if heís the most mlb ready player in the draft). If we rush this kid that much I see it as Theo acknowledging he did a poor job planning for the year.

But hey if he looks legit in this mini summer camp...I guess screw it lol

I hear ya, kid is nasty from the left side...I donít think 10 games would ruin his career, possibly stunt his growth/development...bc he canít work on aspects of his game as easily. And yea immediate high pressure innings from a rook seems a bit reckless (even if heís the most mlb ready player in the draft). If we rush this kid that much I see it as Theo acknowledging he did a poor job planning for the year.

Nobody is advocating making him a setup man in July. But if our SPs are going 4 innings, having Carraway pitch, say, the 5th? You're easing him in the best way you can. His stuff is MLb ready.

Its going to be between mediocre veterans like Sadler or upside guys like Carraway. Take the gamble in SSS extreme 60 games. Catch lightening. And if you don't? So what? This season barely is going to count in the annals of baseball history anyways.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Carraway knows heís a reliever. I donít think it will screw with his head if he sucks. If we were talking about Ed Howard, then itís a totally different story. Carraway can be eased into action and assess on the move. I see absolutely no reason he shouldnít get a shot. See what the kid has. If he isnít ready, then fine whatever. He can build on what he learned and try again next year. Letís get weird. The season is going to be weird so who cares. I want Carraway and Marquez coming out the pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The challenge with the way the Cubs have built the pen the last few years is that it takes a while to figure out which relievers are going to be reliable. Wick didnít really get a shot until the 2nd half and Brach got a ton of appearances early in the year. Over 162 itís hard to identify the right arms quick enough, over 60 that would probably be even more difficult.

They have potential for a solid pen, especially if Marquez and Carraway are used in relief, but theyíll need to evaluate their options very quickly.
    Yes fair enough. Brad Brach shouldn't have made 42 appearences for us. I think when you sign middle relief arms for millions of dollars you tend to want to get your money out of them and not just release them when they struggle, so you keep throwing them out there and hope they turn around. Same with Brian Duensing in 2018.

High-end set-up and closer arms with overpowering stuff seem to be more reliable year-to-year. Mid-tier arms seem more hit-and-miss, maybe it's just a sample size thing. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Stratos; 06-29-2020 at 10:33 PM.

I agree w a previous post, hoping for DUJ to step up, I also kinda like weick, and Ryan did impress last year. Iíve liked maples stuff for a couple years...fingers crossed 🤞 on him too.
    Maples walks almost a guy per inning. He spent 5 seasons in A-ball because he can't throw strikes. If by miracle he finds some kind of release point and can manage 5 or 6 BB/9 IP he'd be successful since he's unhittable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Maples walks almost a guy per inning. He spent 5 seasons in A-ball because he can't throw strikes. If by miracle he finds some kind of release point and can manage 5 or 6 BB/9 IP he'd be successful since he's unhittable.
    Seems like I remember Joe sitting Maples down in his office last year to tell him heís being sent down again and Joe told him heís sick of having this conversation with Maples. He went on to say something like heís too dang good to be up and down. Joe was/is right. Maples has 2 freaking pitches that are nasty. Figure it out dude. It sucks to see someone with that much talent not be able to figure it out. I know itís easy for me to sit on my couch and say that, but Iím sure Maples has been playing baseball his whole life. Heís a professional. Throw strikes man.

Burl Carraway was on the most recent Cubs Related podcast. Great kid - yes sir/no sir type. Said heís ready for whatever the Cubs ask of him. Also was asked could he handle coming in a game with the bases loaded and Yelich up and he said absolutely that he trusts his stuff to get outs now. Now thatís the obvious answer to a question like that, but he seemed to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Burl Carraway was on the most recent Cubs Related podcast. Great kid - yes sir/no sir type. Said heís ready for whatever the Cubs ask of him. Also was asked could he handle coming in a game with the bases loaded and Yelich up and he said absolutely that he trusts his stuff to get outs now. Now thatís the obvious answer to a question like that, but he seemed to believe it.
    If this season happens, I have a feeling Carraway will be a part of the team.
    Screw sabermetics.

Minor league season to be officially cancelled as early as today, according to JJ Cooper if Baseball America

2016 World Series Champions!!!

2016 World Series Champions!!!

just read an article where he seems supremely confident... either that or he is compensating. Either way im in agreement that this unique season gives us an opportunity to see what hes got. Its not like he just played a full college season and now is coming to us.

Marlins CEO Derek Jeter blasts both MLB & MLBPA over horrendous negotiations.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsMLB/sta...614178818?s=19