Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 46 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
Results 676 to 690 of 1713
  1. #676
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I know you said it was your last post, but much like Wolf, you're categorizing the argument incorrectly. And I'm going to try to set that correct.

    I haven't seen people argue that teams don't let players compete for spots. More so, that teams really shouldn't. That's been the point. With SSS extreme, and questionable competition, a team should generally know if Joey Luccesi is their 5th best SP entering ST or not. And that 12-15 IP in Arizona shouldn't tilt the see-saw.

    ST shouldn't be used for that in most cases. And honestly, I don't think most teams do any longer. I would hope the Padres have a good enough grasp on their players to know who they think is the better pitcher already. And not be swayed.

    As you said, you don't want to look through all of those ST numbers but I think that highlights the reason why teams shouldn't do it. If it were so easy to find a player who's ST numbers mattered, it'd be a valid reason to use to determine spots. It's difficult to find because...well...they don't. And maybe teams shouldn't be using this reasoning behind choosing players if it's hard to find ST success stories that then translated into MLB success. If they don't correlate, if they don't cause each other...then is it a good process?
    .

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Is this really for you or me to judge whether itís acceptable or not to use a SSS such as ST to let players win or lose a roster spot? I think itís glaringly obvious that teams do this. It doesnít mean you nor I have to agree with it. I get your point. I really do. Itís almost insane to judge a player by what he does in 65 ABs or 25 IP. But I believe they do. And itís not like itís for 75% of your roster. Youíre talking about 1-2 positions with maybe 4 players competing for 2 spots (generally speaking). Like I said, every situation is different. Even if a guy ďwinsĒ a roster spot in the spring doesnít mean itís the end all be all. If he struggles and another guy is tearing AAA up, then make a move. Itís not like itís set in stone that if Ian Miller makes the team that he canít be replaced by Josh Phegley a month down the road. Itís really not a big deal at all if a player does actually win a spot for opening day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #677
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,556
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Is this really for you or me to judge whether itís acceptable or not to use a SSS such as ST to let players win or lose a roster spot? I think itís glaringly obvious that teams do this. It doesnít mean you nor I have to agree with it. I get your point. I really do. Itís almost insane to judge a player by what he does in 65 ABs or 25 IP. But I believe they do. And itís not like itís for 75% of your roster. Youíre talking about 1-2 positions with maybe 4 players competing for 2 spots (generally speaking). Like I said, every situation is different. Even if a guy ďwinsĒ a roster spot in the spring doesnít mean itís the end all be all. If he struggles and another guy is tearing AAA up, then make a move. Itís not like itís set in stone that if Ian Miller makes the team that he canít be replaced by Josh Phegley a month down the road. Itís really not a big deal at all if a player does actually win a spot for opening day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No one is arguing how obvious it is that teams may make decisions like that. But if the best you have is a call to authority argument, you hardly have an argument. Teams have been behind the times plenty. I think teams making choices based on such a small sample size are making a poor choice and a bad judging process.

    You say it's "really not a big deal" but...it kind of is. The Chicago Cubs don't have a margin of error this year. They don't have 50-100 PA's to give to an Ian Miller for 2 months. Or Josh Phegley. Or whatever. If the Cubs truly think Ian Miller is the best player...then so be it. But don't make that choice based because he hit well in Arizona is all. Don't get in your mind as a fan that 8 IP of Chatwood means that a career bottom of the rotation SP is going to be a middle of the rotation pitcher. Don't get it in your mind that Kris Bryant is going to have a bad season. Just don't read into anything, as a fan, as a team. They're meaningless PA's. Meaningless IP's.

    The Chicago Cubs should know who their best players are. The BP is a little different story because their "best players" are highly dependent on "who's healthy" and "who's healthy" is something that can be shown right now. But with Ian Miller...if you didn't think he was an MLB player last year, or Trent Giambrone, or whatever...what these guys do in March, in Arizona, against questionable talent at best...shouldn't change your opinion on them. I know teams do it. I'm saying teams shouldn't if there's no proof, no statistics, no actual evidence that it translates to the MLB. And thus far, I haven't seen any actual proof that this matters in terms of guys showing up in March, getting hot and then being new and different players.

  3. #678
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,926
    Sports news:

    MLS has suspended all operations until further notice, and NHL on-ice officials on the road to cover games are being told to fly back home.

    Sounds like NHL might also be heading that way as well.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  4. #679
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    13,652
    https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...491803142?s=21

    Would imagine regular season is next at least a delay.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk


    El Mago

  5. #680
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,926

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  6. #681
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,159

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    This is all so crazy. Itís been reported that the Brazilian President has tested positive to Covid-19 and he had a meeting with Donald Trump only a few days ago. An unknown virus has literally brought the entire world to its knees.

  7. #682
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,159

  8. #683
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    13,652
    https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/statu...047008256?s=21


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk


    El Mago

  9. #684
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    13,652
    https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/st...383359488?s=21


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk


    El Mago

  10. #685
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,926
    Oof. A World Series in December? Thatís probably gonna be a horrible situation

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  11. #686
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,712
    This is so insane.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #687
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Oof. A World Series in December? Thatís probably gonna be a horrible situation
    Just how cold does it get in major cities in December?

  13. #688
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,926

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Just how cold does it get in major cities in December?
    Sometimes in Chicago (well at least a couple times the last few years during December), the highs are in the single digits to negative digits

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  14. #689
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,926
    Sports news:

    Duke and Kansas have withdrawn from the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

    Sounds like thatís going to get cancelled next

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  15. #690
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Sometimes in Chicago (well at least a couple times the last few years during December), the highs are in the single digits to negative digits
    Wow. Really cannot play baseball like it as I imagine other major cities would be brutal.

    I reckon games should just be picked up from whatever date on the calendar baseball comes back. If baseball is stopped and comes back on May 1st, just start it from the normal regular season schedule already out which would mean for the Cubs that their ďopening dayĒ game would be against the Diamondbacks and the final game against the Cardinals on September 27th.

    Itís a shortened season rather that trying to squeeze a 162 game schedule in, which would just be ridiculous .

Page 46 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •