Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Depends. My fear is not getting the virus (you're foolish to think at some point you won't or already haven't) it's that I am not contributing to how fast it was spreading.

I think that's what is lost. All signs to me point to you will more then likely get this and in fact aren't they saying, they expect 80% of population to get it at some point. The problem is it spread so damn fast and hospitals are overran. Hopefully we curve it and also get ways to combat it for those that can't battle it themselves.
    Depends on what?

I think itís likely weíll all get exposed to it eventually, but itís also likely at some point there will be an effective treatment/vaccine that doesnít exist yet. Obviously the worst case scenario is getting sick or passing the disease while hospitals are overcrowded, but even when hospitals have a more manageable load getting the disease or passing it can be fatal until thereís an effective treatment/vaccine. So if itís Aug 1 and thereís no treatment/vaccine but the hospitals are at a manageable load are you hanging out with 40k at Wrigley? What about if the weather starts getting colder and thereís no treatment/vaccine?

Iím probably not going. I still wouldnít want to expose myself, my family, or others to the disease even if ICUs arenít overcrowded. Iím skeptical thereís going to be a season. Iím really skeptical there will be a season with fans in attendance, unless thereís an effective treatment rolled out in the next 10 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Depends on what?

I think itís likely weíll all get exposed to it eventually, but itís also likely at some point there will be an effective treatment/vaccine that doesnít exist yet. Obviously the worst case scenario is getting sick or passing the disease while hospitals are overcrowded, but even when hospitals have a more manageable load getting the disease or passing it can be fatal until thereís an effective treatment/vaccine. So if itís Aug 1 and thereís no treatment/vaccine but the hospitals are at a manageable load are you hanging out with 40k at Wrigley? What about if the weather starts getting colder and thereís no treatment/vaccine?

Iím probably not going. I still wouldnít want to expose myself, my family, or others to the disease even if ICUs arenít overcrowded. Iím skeptical thereís going to be a season. Iím really skeptical there will be a season with fans in attendance, unless thereís an effective treatment rolled out in the next 10 weeks.
    It would depend on the hypothetical(s) you just laid out in the next question lol. For the first one prob. not cause again doesn't sound like anything is under control remotely nor would there be a baseball season if that was the case. For the second sounds like same as first except it's now cold outside. So sounds like a no for both of them.

Again I have zero fear of contracting it. I only am doing the social separation so I don't contribute to those spreading it. If I felt going to the game at the time would completely clash with that process then no I wouldn't If I felt it wouldn't then yes I would go to the game. Really like I said, there are so many damn hypothetical situations that could be presented I guess that's why I said, it would depend. If there was treatment as it stands today and a vaccine with controlled hospital crowding then ya, I would go. I also don't have a similar life to perhaps you. I am not married with kids. My family lives in an entire different state. When I leave I am able to make virtually no contact with anyone if I need too and not be homeless lol.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    It would depend on the hypothetical(s) you just laid out in the next question lol. For the first one prob. not cause again doesn't sound like anything is under control remotely nor would there be a baseball season if that was the case. For the second sounds like same as first except it's now cold outside. So sounds like a no for both of them.

Again I have zero fear of contracting it. I only am doing the social separation so I don't contribute to those spreading it. If I felt going to the game at the time would completely clash with that process then no I wouldn't If I felt it wouldn't then yes I would go to the game. Really like I said, there are so many damn hypothetical situations that could be presented I guess that's why I said, it would depend. If there was treatment as it stands today and a vaccine with controlled hospital crowding then ya, I would go. I also don't have a similar life to perhaps you. I am not married with kids. My family lives in an entire different state. When I leave I am able to make virtually no contact with anyone if I need too and not be homeless lol.
    Not really that many hypothetical possibilities. Thereís either a treatment/cure or there isnít. At some point the curve will flatten (probably within the next 1-2 months). The number of new cases will dramatically decrease and hospitals wonít be nearly as overwhelmed. Itís going to get a lot worse and then itís going to start getting a lot better if we believe every expert. Eventually there wonít be respirator and PPE shortages. The unknown is if a treatment/vaccine will exist and if itíll come back strong once it gets colder again and once we stop distancing so much.

So my open question was to gauge how people feel about going to a game with 40k strangers once the curve flattens if there is still no vaccine. Sounds like you probably wouldnít go. JH wouldnít go. I wouldnít go. If thatís true of most fans, I donít see how they can have a season with attendance prior to there being an effective treatment rolled out and if we are waiting on a treatment it could take years.

You should probably have a little fear of contracting it, but itís kind of irrelevant to the conversation. We donít really have an accurate mortality rate yet, but so far it appears to be a pretty substantial rate, even for young people (.2-.4% is a pretty substantial rate). I donít know how old you are or your situation, but I think we should all have a little concern about getting it ourselves, in addition to concern about spreading it. Not that I want to cause anyone anxiety or anything...

Iím just wondering if people are willing to show up if they open the gates on 7/1 because the situation got somewhat better. It sounds like thatís what theyíd like to do. My guess is that theyíll have a hard time filling ballparks even if they want to, but Iím curious if people feel they are comfortable going to Wrigley as soon as it is allowed.

Iím not disagreeing with anyone who says theyíd go, Iím just curious.

I really need sports to come back. My sanity needs it right now, after sadly having to put my dog down yesterday.

Please. Come back. I need it.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    I really need sports to come back. My sanity needs it right now, after sadly having to put my dog down yesterday.

Geez, I am sorry man. Itís a heartbreaking thing to have to do. I went through the same thing 6 and a half years ago and I still remember the night it happened like it was yesterday. How old was your dog?

Sorry for your loss dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    A 36-year old Moises Alou, Corey Patterson, and a year of Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee. That was the best they did.
    At 37 y/o Alou hit 39 HR for the Cubs in 2004. He hit over .340 in each his last 2 injury-plagued seasons, at 40 and 41 years old. Dude was such a competitor, great hitter.

With Ramirez and Lee it was definitely Sosa's best lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Sammy Sosa had a 9.9 fWAR season & really good pitching.
    Sosa was as good as 2 good players that year, literally. Cut Sosa's stats in half and he'd still have 32 HR, 80 RBI, 58 walks...he was ridiculous.

I remember much of the season if a pitcher ever threw the ball over the heart of the plate it was a HR just about every time.

They also had some real gamers on that team. Joe Girardi, Bill Mueller, Fred McGriff, Ricky Gutierrez. Easy to root for that team, besides Todd Hundley.

Remember Bobby Hill? I hope Nico turns out better than he did.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Sorry for your loss dude.
    Thanks, man. Itís a very rough time right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Geez, I am sorry man. Itís a heartbreaking thing to have to do. I went through the same thing 6 and a half years ago and I still remember the night it happened like it was yesterday. How old was your dog?
    He turned 11 in January. Unfortunately, he had a cancerous tumor that we found out in Sept of last year on his front paw and we decided to let him live his life, however long he had left. Sadly, on Wed he split the tumor right down the middle while using the bathroom in my backyard, and he was bleeding all over the house. We took him to the vet and we had to make the tough decision to put him down on Thursday morning. Toughest moment of my life, to be honest.

He turned 11 in January. Unfortunately, he had a cancerous tumor that we found out in Sept of last year on his front paw and we decided to let him live his life, however long he had left. Sadly, on Wed he split the tumor right down the middle while using the bathroom in my backyard, and he was bleeding all over the house. We took him to the vet and we had to make the tough decision to put him down on Thursday morning. Toughest moment of my life, to be honest.
    Sorry to hear that. I know how easily it is to accept a dog as part of the family. I had to put my Boston Terrier down a couple of months ago after having him for 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Letís say this continues to escalate as expected for the next few weeks and 100-200k+ people die, and millions of Americans are hospitalized by C-19. Then the curve starts to flatten out and the daily number of cases starts to lower significantly. At what point are you willing to go to a place with 40,000 people like a baseball game? If they played in front of crowds in July, would you go? October?
    Iím avoiding large crowds until thereís a vaccine. Iím ďessentialĒ so Iím still working with numerous people. It bothers me. Iím aware that the chances are probably higher that I get it, as opposed to not getting it, but that doesnít mean that Iím going to say ďF itĒ and not change anything. Personal hygiene has always been something that Iíve been a tad obsessed with, and hopefully that will help me avoid it. Iím social distancing, we have a curfew in place where I live, and Iím taking the precautionary steps to do my part. Iím not visiting my parents (ages 61 & 67) to be on the safe side, which is tough.

So yeah, Iím not catching a game at Wrigley, nor will I be attending college football games until a vaccine is in place. Iím skeptical, where we sit today, on 2 different vacations already planned for June and August.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I know how easily it is to accept a dog as part of the family. I had to put my Boston Terrier down a couple of months ago after having him for 12 years.

Yeah. Itís the worst feeling Iíve ever had. I know itís going to take some time to get over the pain Iím feeling right now.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that man. As painful as the decision was, sometimes it is taken out of your hands and you and your family made the right decision at the right time. The decision wasnít delayed so he wasnít suffering and now he is at peace.

When we put my dog to sleep all those years ago, he had some health issues within the last 2 years of his life. He had suffered a stroke and went blind in one eye but lived comfortably for about 2 years until one day we took him to my brotherís house for a visit and upon getting up to leave, he got up from where he was lying down and he just collapsed on his side. We took him home and that night he collapsed again, we took him to the animal hospital and we were told that he had suffered kidney failure. The right decision was made for him to put him to sleep because it was painful to see him suffering like that. Anything else would have been patch work that wouldnít have worked at all (he was 14). Itís like your situation that sometimes the right decision is the one you donít want to make but it is still the right decision.

My other dog had anemia last year and we thought we would need to put him to sleep but vets really are brilliant and do a remarkable job. He needed about 5 months of steroids to get his red blood counts up to a normal level, they were right down to 18 and the normal level is 38-50 in dogs, so you can imagine how bad a state he was in. I know that as a family, like yours and like any animal lover, we were going to do whatever it took and pay whatever it took to save him. I know that we would have done the same if this happened this year with or without social distancing as that is what we do.

Just remember the good times you had with him.

Yeah. Itís the worst feeling Iíve ever had. I know itís going to take some time to get over the pain Iím feeling right now.
    Sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself. This is a tough time to go through a loss.

Page 62 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast