Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I would prefer a shortened season to an extended one.

The NHL played a couple of shortened seasons due to lockouts. The most recent being the 2012-13 season, which was a 48-game season that began in January. Only intra-conference games were played. Not sure how they worked out their schedules.
    The season will almost undoubtedly have to be shortened. Hockey is played in a controlled environment. You canít really play baseball in November where you risk playing somewhere extremely cold like Chicago or New York for example. I guess you could play a neutral site like Miami or Houston for playoff games. Itís pretty complicated though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I guess you could play a neutral site like Miami or Houston for playoff games. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In that scenario, would the designated home team get the benefit of the Minute Maid park trash can?

You canít just redo the schedule. I said in my post yesterday that it takes about 3 months to create the schedule. I believe that. I imagine creating a schedule for all 30 teams and managing off days is extremely difficult and time consuming.

Why do you think it would take 3 months to generate a schedule

It all done by Computers

As far as needing to do inter league because if unbalanced teams, ok, then just do the rivalry games like Cubs Sox, Yankees Mets, etc etc.

If they start May 1st to Oct 4, theyll have 157 days to play 130 games that plenty of time and days off..

16 x 4 64 games Division
    6 x 5 30 games West
    6 x 5 30 games East
    6◊ 1 6 games Inter league

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Why do you think it would take 3 months to generate a schedule

It all done by Computers

As far as needing to do inter league because if unbalanced teams, ok, then just do the rivalry games like Cubs Sox, Yankees Mets, etc etc.

If they start May 1st to Oct 4, theyll have 157 days to play 130 games that plenty of time and days off..

16 x 4 64 games Division
    6 x 5 30 games West
    6 x 5 30 games East
    6◊ 1 6 games Inter league
    Casey Stern said it on MLB network radio yesterday. He wouldnít just make that up. Iím honestly not being rude, but Iíll take his word over yours about how the scheduling works.

Casey Stern said it on MLB network radio yesterday. He wouldnít just make that up. Iím honestly not being rude, but Iíll take his word over yours about how the scheduling works.

I wasn't arguing or thinking you were being rude..

Was just curious as to why you mentioned 3 months..

I wasn't trying to say that I was right or making my thought true as far as taking my words over his..

It gained my curiosity now and I looked it up.
    I actually thought they basically just punched in basic info into the Computer and it generated an MLB schedule, but as you said it a months long process..
    Found an article on it

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xp...413-story.html

Also found this, which was interesting
    A husband and wife used to do the scheduling by hand for 24 years, til they got outbid in 2006 by the current schedular

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1936328
    Last edited by chibears55; 03-14-2020 at 04:40 PM.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

A Reds player guess May 25th for the start of the season . I think thatís more realistic but far from a given . I would guess teams will get back together beginning of May have a 3 -4 weeks to get ready and season would start late May early june.

Thatís on the optimistic side we will see

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

El Mago

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    A Reds player guess May 25th for the start of the season . I think thatís more realistic but far from a given . I would guess teams will get back together beginning of May have a 3 -4 weeks to get ready and season would start late May early june.

Thatís on the optimistic side we will see

If they start the season that late, hard to think they would just pick up the schedule from that point or try to extend the regular season into or through October or later

That would be around 50 games to make up..
    I think the season will definitely be shortened in amount of games and they probably make it up by adding the extra playoff teams

Don't start the season until the ASB.

Cubs have 61 or so games in the second half (starting @ home .v. Reds). Schedule enough DH against division rivals to get those games up to 81 games. Do the same with all MLB teams. 81 game sprint to the end, no time to fuss around. Trade deadline would be the end of the season.

Some flaws obviously, but that is something I would like to see. I just see baseball before June.
    Screw sabermetics.

MLB might not start until after Memorial Day weekend, according to multiple reports.

I believe that became news after the CDC recommended no events of more than 50 people for at least the next 8 weeks

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    MLB might not start until after Memorial Day weekend, according to multiple reports.

I believe that became news after the CDC recommended no events of more than 50 people for at least the next 8 weeks
    I would expect nothing more than a half season.

this year is gonna suck

Quote Originally Posted by o8cubs View Post
    And you might be right, now. Take it FWIW:

2016 World Series Champions!!!

An unidentified Yankees minor leaguer has tested positive. The minor league team will self-quarantine and both the ML and MiL facilities will undergo deep cleaning. It shows that just one player getting it puts everything into turmoil.

If Baseball comes back next month and one player tests positive after it comes back, the season will be postponed again.

I think the NHL and NBA are gonna have to cancel their seasons if this goes until July.

Much further than that and MLB might as well.

Quote Originally Posted by o8cubs View Post
    I think there comes a point when they really have to ask themselves if it is worth it to go thru all the trouble of doing a new schedule ( i think a new one would be needed come to agreements on service time , contract issues to play a short season ?

If the thinking itís shifting now towards July I think they are getting close to a point where a cancel season itís a fairly realistic option.

El Mago

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast