Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Im sure you have a lot of personal good feelings about him, but he wasn't a particularly good player. 2.6 fWAR means he was barely above replacement level over his career. Most seasons he was below league average as a hitter. He was pretty good offensively in 1953 but that was kind of it. Most other years he was pretty blah.

Not mocking, we all have players we loved, especially from our youth (big Mickey Morandini fan, here. As well as Rick Wilkins), who may not have always been the best, just explaining why Fondy won't make any top-5 lists. He almost assuredly wouldn't make any top-10 lists either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    The dandy little glove man could play and Rick Wilkins 1993 is arguably the best year by a Cub catcher ever.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The dandy little glove man could play and Rick Wilkins 1993 is arguably the best year by a Cub catcher ever.
    Honestly the only reason I like Wilkins is because on Mark Grace day 1994, my father threw out the first pitch and he was the honorary catcher. He gave me a high five. I was on the field.

On that day, a 7 year old Phillies fan became a 7 year old Cubs fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mowIhusvRZ4

Really cool interview with Jon Lester & CC Sabathia for anyone who's bored with this quarantine stuff and got 40 minutes to kill.

For anyone who likes podcasts, Ian Happ has now started a podcast while in Arizona (I still think he’s there with Nico, Mekkes and Zach Short).

He has it on Spotify and it’s called “The Compound”

2016 World Series Champions!!!

I promise to never talk bad about a single Cub ever if we can please have sports back.

Im sure you have a lot of personal good feelings about him, but he wasn't a particularly good player. 2.6 fWAR means he was barely above replacement level over his career. Most seasons he was below league average as a hitter. He was pretty good offensively in 1953 but that was kind of it. Most other years he was pretty blah.

Not mocking, we all have players we loved, especially from our youth (big Mickey Morandini fan, here. As well as Rick Wilkins), who may not have always been the best, just explaining why Fondy won't make any top-5 lists. He almost assuredly wouldn't make any top-10 lists either.

I said I wasn't surprised that he didn't make the Top 5 list; I didn't have any quarrel with the 5 that were listed, and I would have put Derrik Lee who was mentioned as being close below number 5, above Fondy, only that I hoped to see him make it. I would still have him somehwhere in our Top 10, maybe below the 5 listed, Lee, and maybe Leon Durham and Bill Buckner so that would make him 8th or 9th. And yes, I was 5 when I started listening in '51 or '52 so I never saw him play but 8 or 10 games live since we lived in Decatur and would drive up to see one doubleheader a year a Wrigley (and the Cubs were hardly ever on the Game of the Week since they were always near the bottom of the NL standings in the 50s.) But he did hit .285 lifetime. As an aside, when Fondy died in '99, ESPN's 30-second bit on his passing focused on him being the player (as a Pirate) that made the last out ever in Ebbets field the September before the Dodgers moved to LA.
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 03-31-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Honestly the only reason I like Wilkins is because on Mark Grace day 1994, my father threw out the first pitch and he was the honorary catcher. He gave me a high five. I was on the field.

So if history was different, last year you would have been wondering how your team spent nearly $400M in the winter and still missed the postseason?

Nice. I remember think Rick Wilkins was the next Cubs superstar as a young elementary school student in 93. That ended poorly, but it was a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    I said I wasn't surprised that he didn't make the Top 5 list; I didn't have any quarrel with the 5 that were listed, and I would have put Derrik Lee who was mentioned as being close below number 5, above Fondy, only that I hoped to see him make it. I would still have him somehwhere in our Top 10, maybe below the 5 listed, Lee, and maybe Leon Durham and Bill Buckner so that would make him 8th or 9th. And yes, I was 5 when I started listening in '51 or '52 so I never saw him play but 8 or 10 games live since we lived in Decatur and would drive up to see one doubleheader a year a Wrigley (and the Cubs were hardly ever on the Game of the Week since they were always near the bottom of the NL standings in the 50s.) But he did hit .285 lifetime. As an aside, when Fondy died in '99, ESPN's 30-second bit on his passing focused on him being the player (as a Pirate) that made the last out ever in Ebbets field the September before the Dodgers moved to LA.
    He hit .285 but was generally a bad hitter outside of that. We are well past the days of using BA as a barometer. Sorry man, he wouldn't crack a top-10 list either. Nothing against you, but there's a reason he wasn't even an honorable mention.

We all have connections to guys like Fondy. I bet he was a decent dude. Sorry to hear he's past. But he just wasn't a very good MLB'er historically.

You may be right, but we're not talking about the best all time firstbasemen for MLB Top-10 or best Cubs all-time players, it's just a list of Top 10 Cubs firstbasemen. I gave you 7 or 8 that off the top of my head that I admitted I thought were better (and Banks wasn't considered for this list as the author considered him a shortstop.) Fondy was better than Chuck (the Rifleman) Connors, Bob Speake and Steve Bilko, as good as Dale Long, better than Ed Bouchee and any others that I can remember. Again, outside of Rizzo, Grace, Chance, Anson, Cavarretta, Lee, Durham and Buckner, who else would you add to the Cubs Top-10 firstbasemen if not Fondy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    You may be right, but we're not talking about the best all time firstbasemen for MLB Top-10 or best Cubs all-time players, it's just a list of Top 10 Cubs firstbasemen. I gave you 7 or 8 that off the top of my head that I admitted I thought were better (and Banks wasn't considered for this list as the author considered him a shortstop.) Fondy was better than Chuck (the Rifleman) Connors, Bob Speake and Steve Bilko, as good as Dale Long, better than Ed Bouchee and any others that I can remember. Again, outside of Rizzo, Grace, Chance, Anson, Cavarretta, Lee, Durham and Buckner, who else would you add to the Cubs Top-10 firstbasemen if not Fondy.
    Fred McGriff was worth 2x as many wins in 1.5 years as Fondy was in his entire Cubs career. So there's an 8th. It's a really low bar. Realistically, anyone who had a 2.5 fWAR season was a better 1b than Fondy ever was with the Cubs. And 2.5 wins in a single season is "slightly above starting caliber".

Because the Cubs have actually had a lot of good 1bmen over their careers who played many years, and guys like Banks have played there at the tail end of their career, it's hard coming up with an entire top-10 off the top of my head. But if I sunk time into it, it wouldn't be that hard.

But unless there's going to be a stipulation of "x amount of years" at the position, Fondy just was a barely servicable MLB player. He shouldn't be making any top-10 for the Cubs who have 100 years of history. Even short lived Cubs like McGriff make short work of Fondy.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I promise to never talk bad about a single Cub ever if we can please have sports back.
    Alright gentlemen the line has been placed and O/U on this is 10.5 games before he swears Heyward off the field.

Place your bets fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Alright gentlemen the line has been placed and O/U on this is 10.5 games before he swears Heyward off the field.

Place your bets fellas!
    I'd buy a home, an away, and an alternate jersey of Heyward's and wear them every day this summer if that is what it took.

McGriff had a great swan song with the Cubs.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

How did that 2001 Cubs team finish with 88 wins? Hundley, Coomer, Stairs, Buford... just gross.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast