Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 59 of 115 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    I donít see how itís remotely fair that if this season is cancelled the dodgers get no games with Betts but still have to pay the trade package.

Iím obviously just using that as one example as it was one of the biggest trades. But, how is that fair?
    IMO the trade should be reversed if the season is not played at all. I get the Dodgers will still be fine either way, but itís not fair. I would be super pissed if he were traded to the Cubs and we gave up Nico and Betts didnít get to play a single game for us.

It does get difficult looking beyond the Betts trade. Another one that comes to mind is the Brewers and Padres trade... Grisham for Garcia. Service time isnít an issue in that deal because both of those guys clocks just started last season.

Basically I have no idea how this would work, but the Dodgers have every right to be livid if the season is not played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two Cubs employees have tested positive for COVID-19. They were part of a training session at Wrigley Field on March 8th.

One was hospitalized and the other was resting at home. The team doesnít think there is a link between the virus exposure and the training session.

There are currently noother positive tests from other employees/players/coaches at this time.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    IMO the trade should be reversed if the season is not played at all. I get the Dodgers will still be fine either way, but itís not fair. I would be super pissed if he were traded to the Cubs and we gave up Nico and Betts didnít get to play a single game for us.

It does get difficult looking beyond the Betts trade. Another one that comes to mind is the Brewers and Padres trade... Grisham for Garcia. Service time isnít an issue in that deal because both of those guys clocks just started last season.

Basically I have no idea how this would work, but the Dodgers have every right to be livid if the season is not played.

I agree, I think the option to void a deal should be there. Or, teams shouldnít have to lose a year of service time on players.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post

Itís unfortunate, but they traded for his 2020 rights. They have those. Nothing about the current situation is fair. If this is reversed it opens the door for teams to ask for other moves to be reversed. They can be disappointed, but the deal is done. They can resign him or get a comp pick and theyíll keep Graterol. They also should still get the cash Boston included on the deal even with barely paying Price anything this year.

If the reds knew thereíd be no 2020 season they donít make the Bauer trade. If the Astros knew thereíd be no 2020 season maybe they donít give up the same value for Greinke. Same with the Mets and Stroman. All these teams gave up big value because they thought they bought at least 1.5 years control, just like the Dodgers gave up a lot for a year of Mookie. Itís too late to start undoing trades.
    Last edited by CP_414; 03-30-2020 at 12:31 PM.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Itís unfortunate, but they traded for his 2020 rights. They have those. Nothing about the current situation is fair. If this is reversed it opens the door for teams to ask for other moves to be reversed. They can be disappointed, but the deal is done. They can resign him or get a comp pick and theyíll keep Graterol. They also should still get the cash Boston included on the deal even with barely paying Price anything this year.

If the reds knew thereíd be no 2020 season they donít make the Bauer trade. If the Astros knew thereíd be no 2020 season maybe they donít give up the same value for Greinke. Same with the Mets and Stroman. All these teams gave up big value because they thought they bought 1.5 years control, just like the Dodgers gave up a lot for a year of Mookie. Itís too late to start undoing trades.
    100% this. Very well put, CP.

Nobody planned for this whole thing to happen, but youíre opening a whole new can of worms if they allow trades to be vetoed because of this whole situation.
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 03-30-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    2007 rang,they want their Usher back.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post

If the reds knew thereíd be no 2020 season they donít make the Bauer trade. If the Astros knew thereíd be no 2020 season maybe they donít give up the same value for Greinke. Same with the Mets and Stroman. All these teams gave up big value because they thought they bought at least 1.5 years control, just like the Dodgers gave up a lot for a year of Mookie. Itís too late to start undoing trades.
    Oh I totally agree. It would be almost impossible to allow anybody to reverse a trade. I just know how pissed I would be if I were the Dodgers and didnít get to see Mookie play a single game in my uniform. Itís a crappy situation for a lot of people in a lot of different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    2007 rang,they want their Usher back.
    I thought the same thing.

Man, Chapman will be fun to watch from the DL, if and when baseball comes back.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    I donít see how itís remotely fair that if this season is cancelled the dodgers get no games with Betts but still have to pay the trade package.

Iím obviously just using that as one example as it was one of the biggest trades. But, how is that fair?
    The Dodgers are one of our key rivals in our way to a ring. Whatever makes them weaker is good for the Cubs.

100% this. Very well put, CP.

Nobody planned for this whole thing to happen, but youíre opening a whole new can of worms if they allow trades to be vetoed because of this whole situation.
    Agreed. Nobody put a gun to Friedman's head and forced him to make the trade. Besides, this point will be moot when Mookie re-signs with the Dodgers.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Man, Chapman will be fun to watch from the DL, if and when baseball comes back.
    Aroldis Metcalf?

Just read the article on the Cubs Official site about the Cubs all-time 5 best first basemen. I was hoping that Dee Fondy who was the 1B when I started listening the Cubs games in the early 50's would make the Cubs, but wasn't surpised when he didnt'.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Just read the article on the Cubs Official site about the Cubs all-time 5 best first basemen. I was hoping that Dee Fondy who was the 1B when I started listening the Cubs games in the early 50's would make the Cubs, but wasn't surpised when he didnt'.
    Im sure you have a lot of personal good feelings about him, but he wasn't a particularly good player. 2.6 fWAR means he was barely above replacement level over his career. Most seasons he was below league average as a hitter. He was pretty good offensively in 1953 but that was kind of it. Most other years he was pretty blah.

Not mocking, we all have players we loved, especially from our youth (big Mickey Morandini fan, here. As well as Rick Wilkins), who may not have always been the best, just explaining why Fondy won't make any top-5 lists. He almost assuredly wouldn't make any top-10 lists either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk