Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chicago Cubs 2020 Minor League News, Notes and Updates

2016 World Series Champions!!!

1st for Davis making his MLB debut in June after hitting 65 homeruns in AA

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Mlb.com did a draft top 150 ranking if you are looking for baseball content. The draft will be sometime between June 10-July 20 with anywhere from 5 to 40 rounds, probably 5-10 rounds.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2020/draft

The 1st round high school class looks strong, but the shorter draft (smaller budgets) and deferred bonuses might push some of them to college.

Anyone interested in talking Mlb draft?

Assume these guys are gone before 16:
    Tork, Martin, Lacy, Veen, Gonzales, Hancock, Meyer, Detmers, Kjerstad, Bailey, Hassell.

What does your top 5 or 10 look like?

I think as of today Id go:
    Abel, Soderstrom, Mitchell, Bitsko, Kelley, Hendrick, Jarvis, Crochet, Crow-Armstrong, Cavalli, Wilcox, Howard, Miller.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-28-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post

Tork, Martin, Lacy, Veen, Gonzales, Hancock, Meyer, Detmers, Kjerstad, Bailey, Hassell.

Abel, Soderstrom, Mitchell, Bitsko, Kelley, Hendrick, Jarvis, Crochet, Crow-Armstrong, Cavalli, Wilcox, Howard, Miller.
    For me, I'd have a top 5 of something like this (not necessarily in order)
    Abel, Bitsko, Crochet, Wells (who I admit, I'm a bit higher on than others), Soderstrom if you believe you can keep him behind the plate and revamp his swing. He's got contact ability that's advanced but man, his swing generates zero weight transfer right now.

After that 5, I'd go (again, no particular order)
    Mitchell, Wilox, Kelley, Howard, Cavalli

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    No one shocking but a few "notable" names. Sitnnet, Burks, and De La Cruz all had moments of interest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post

Im a White Sox fan but enjoy good baseball talk. I feel like Garrett Mitchell would be a great pick for the Cubs. Might be the Tools-iest player in the draft but concerns about his diabetes might make him fall, if he pans out, Cubs would have a 5 tool star in there hands. I personally want the Sox to draft him but no idea how theyre going to operate this years draft with a new man leading it. Obviously in baseball you dont draft for need but BPA but who/what are Cub fans looking at drafting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trent Dilfer & Tim Hasselbeck

Quote Originally Posted by ChiMaverick View Post
    Im a White Sox fan but enjoy good baseball talk. I feel like Garrett Mitchell would be a great pick for the Cubs. Might be the Tools-iest player in the draft but concerns about his diabetes might make him fall, if he pans out, Cubs would have a 5 tool star in there hands. I personally want the Sox to draft him but no idea how theyre going to operate this years draft with a new man leading it. Obviously in baseball you dont draft for need but BPA but who/what are Cub fans looking at drafting?

I like Mitchell. Hes not my top choice, but Id be happy with that pick. The lack of game power is concerning, but hes a true CF with + speed/defense, contact ability, and good raw power and CF is a wasteland across the league right now.

Bailey has been linked to the Sox a lot and he makes sense for them. If Detmers falls a little, hed be a great fit for the Sox, too. You dont draft for need of course, but with Robert locking up CF long term, Mitchell would be a little less appealing to me for the Sox.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-30-2020 at 12:12 PM.

How do you guys usually do your scouting? Just reading around the internet wherever you can, or is it more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    How do you guys usually do your scouting? Just reading around the internet wherever you can, or is it more than that?
    I read mocks, as many scouting reports I can find, and video of the swing. Also, for college kids, checking the stats. HS stats are pretty wonky and don't show much, so for HS kids I'll check the power stuff and ignore most of the rest. Even the power is iffy.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 05-30-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiMaverick View Post

I'm not huge on Mitchell. He's alright but his complete lack of game power right now is scary. I hate drafting guys in the first who have "theoretical" tools usually. And that's what you're doing with Mitchell. Theoretical power to come but he hasn't shown it yet. Diabetic or not, that's my biggest concern. The power.

I won't riot if it's Mitchell, but he's more in my "I'll accept him" category and not in my "I'll be excited with him" category.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I read mocks, as many scouting reports I can find, and video of the swing. Also, for college kids, checking the stats. HS stats are pretty wonky and don't show much, so for HS kids I'll check the power stuff and ignore most of the rest. Even the power is iffy.

Got ya. Yeah, I feared high school stats would probably be that way. This might sound dumb, but what makes a good swing to you?

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Got ya. Yeah, I feared high school stats would probably be that way. This might sound dumb, but what makes a good swing to you?
    Making contact.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Making contact.

Lol I know you're joking, but Jason Heyward has a good contact rate, and yet all you hear about is how bad his swing is. I feel I can keep up with most analytical discussions of baseball, but the technical side not as much.

I guess it's like, I can appreciate, for example, how pretty Ken Griffey Jr. or Albert Pujol's swings look, but I don't have a great feel for the mechanics behind the great swing.

I'm sure all hitters are different, and there's a lot of ways a swing can suck or have holes or whatever, but yeah. Idk. Some general things to look for or whatever would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast