Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 65 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Heyward jerseys are in the cart ready for me to hit submit.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/stat...212646400?s=21

https://twitter.com/eireanndolan/sta...731609600?s=21

I donít see how they can pull that off. Not to mention the timing of games in the AZ summer for TV on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post

I donít see how they can pull that off. Not to mention the timing of games in the AZ summer for TV on the east coast.
    I would assume the start times would be completely irrelevant since they are going to play in front of nobody. Nobody is going to the games so it doesn't matter what time it starts

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I would assume the start times would be completely irrelevant since they are going to play in front of nobody. Nobody is going to the games so it doesn't matter what time it starts
    Start times arenít just for attendance, they are for TV. Putting most games on at 10pm Eastern isnít going to help ratings.

Mlb already started to back off. This idea was unrealistic from the start. Itís good that they are considering alternatives, but itís very unlikely they could pull something like this off.
    Last edited by CP_414; 04-07-2020 at 11:32 AM.

You might as well just have all 5 team owners from each division play a game of eeny, meeny, miny, moe and whoever wins a best out of 3 you set up all 5 teams from that division in a hotel in the winning owners city and play every game in that teams stadium. 100 game season so potentially 500 games of Baseball in Wrigley Field. The ones located in Chicago and Milwaukee.

About as ridiculous an idea as having all 30 teams playing in Arizona.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 04-07-2020 at 02:46 PM.

I mean think about it... Players will be away from their families. Trout and KB (off the top of my head) are expecting kids soon... so they wonít be able to be there for the birth of their children? You will have to carry extra players incase someone gets injured, or if certain guys arenít playing well - which leads to, how will minor league guys that youíre carrying on your roster, that arenít playing, stay in game shape? You also have to consider that you are now having to pay all of these extra guys major league money as well. What about players that need a minor league rehab? What if Q gets hurt and misses 3 weeks? Does he just automatically get thrown back into the rotation without being able to rehab in a controlled environment where games donít matter? Every player will have to be tested. What if 1 player gets it? What happens then? Realistically you would want every player tested often... like every other week. Let me clarify... not just players, but coaches, camera crew, trainers, broadcasters (TV & Radio), Umps, grounds crew... and we havenít even gotten into housing and feeding the players all in one place. What if somebody on the hotel staff has it and gives it to numerous players. Thereís thousands of potential issues with this plan. Look I want baseball as bad as the next guy, but Manfred and Co have to be realistic here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I mean think about it... Players will be away from their families. Trout and KB (off the top of my head) are expecting kids soon... so they wonít be able to be there for the birth of their children? You will have to carry extra players incase someone gets injured, or if certain guys arenít playing well - which leads to, how will minor league guys that youíre carrying on your roster, that arenít playing, stay in game shape? You also have to consider that you are now having to pay all of these extra guys major league money as well. What about players that need a minor league rehab? What if Q gets hurt and misses 3 weeks? Does he just automatically get thrown back into the rotation without being able to rehab in a controlled environment where games donít matter? Every player will have to be tested. What if 1 player gets it? What happens then? Realistically you would want every player tested often... like every other week. Let me clarify... not just players, but coaches, camera crew, trainers, broadcasters (TV & Radio), Umps, grounds crew... and we havenít even gotten into housing and feeding the players all in one place. What if somebody on the hotel staff has it and gives it to numerous players. Thereís thousands of potential issues with this plan. Look I want baseball as bad as the next guy, but Manfred and Co have to be realistic here.

Well said, ivyboys.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Start times arenít just for attendance, they are for TV. Putting most games on at 10pm Eastern isnít going to help ratings.

Mlb already started to back off. This idea was unrealistic from the start. Itís good that they are considering alternatives, but itís very unlikely they could pull something like this off.
    My comment was based solely on TV, with the fact that nobody would be there. Schedule the games for TV only. I guess I wasn't clear.

I would start the games in the 3:00-5:00, local time for teams that play on the east coast. Our time zone can start in the 4:00-6:00 range. West coast teams can start in the 6:00-8:00 range. The heat will be an issue, but it will be an issue for every team, so there won't be a competitive advantage or disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post

It's an interesting position though. As I understand it, if there is no season, the players would be surrendering a lot of money, right? The grand sum of money for all the players is the 170 million that was listed? Not sure if it was ever made clear exactly how the money would be distributed, but for a lot of guys, missing a full year of baseball probably isn't the best thing for their careers, or wallet.

I'd think the owners would also want to avoid skipping a season. They probably can't pull off every plan being mentioned, but the report reads like a lot of the ideas are just things being discussed, more than actually considered. If both sides are desperate for baseball, I don't think a lot of the things (I.E. players being separated from their families) are as big of obstacles as people will make them out to be.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 04-08-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    My comment was based solely on TV, with the fact that nobody would be there. Schedule the games for TV only. I guess I wasn't clear.

I would start the games in the 3:00-5:00, local time for teams that play on the east coast. Our time zone can start in the 4:00-6:00 range. West coast teams can start in the 6:00-8:00 range. The heat will be an issue, but it will be an issue for every team, so there won't be a competitive advantage or disadvantage.
    Playing mostly night games vs playing mostly 3-5pm games in 110-120 degree weather is a pretty significant competitive advantage. This whole thing is a bad idea. I doubt it happens in the way itís being described.

Playing mostly night games vs playing mostly 3-5pm games in 110-120 degree weather is a pretty significant competitive advantage. This whole thing is a bad idea. I doubt it happens in the way itís being described.
    Iíve been to Arizona in summer a few times. I can not see them trying to play more than a couple, if any, outdoor games in the daylight during the summer months. Not trying to sound dramatic, but something tragic could happen. It gets that hot. I hope they scrap this plan sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    It's an interesting position though. As I understand it, if there is no season, the players would be surrendering a lot of money, right? The grand sum of money for all the players is the 170 million that was listed? Not sure if it was ever made clear exactly how the money would be distributed, but for a lot of guys, missing a full year of baseball probably isn't the best thing for their careers, or wallet.

I'd think the owners would also want to avoid skipping a season. They probably can't pull off every plan being mentioned, but the report reads like a lot of the ideas are just things being discussed, more than actually considered. If both sides are desperate for baseball, I don't think a lot of the things (I.E. players being separated from their families) are as big of obstacles as people will make them out to be.
    The players and owners want to play. Thereís just a lot of obstacles that exist. There needs to be a huge increase in availability of testing before itís even considered at all. As ivy pointed out youíd need frequent testing of everyone involved from players/coaches to grounds crew, security, hotel staff, umps, media, etc. Youíd then need the buy in from all those people to commit to be quarantined in isolation between a hotel room and a ballpark and additional compensation for the non players to do this. Youíd need it to be profitable enough for owners to move forward with zero attendance revenue. Right now they are barely paying salaries, if they play players presumably will want their whole contract so they might need to renegotiate how much owners pay since revenues will be significantly down or owners may be better off not having games. Youíd also effectively have no minor league system or rehab system and the availability of medical care for injured players would need to be there too. Youíd then need government approval and Arizona to not be on a stay at home order or to deem mlb as essential business. Then the logistical aspect of what the season actually looks like and how you play a full season outdoors in Arizona in summer at times that would still allow you to maximize local tv revenues in the home cities.

Then what happens when someone gets C-19? Players are generally young and healthy so they have less risk, but still some risk. Umps and coaches and many media members and others around the game are in many cases older and less healthy. If a player tests positive his whole team was exposed, do they all keep playing or is there a period of time that they stop? The optics would be pretty terrible.

Eventually the testing situation will improve enough to start considering some of these other obstacles, so itís good that they are thinking about it, but I canít imagine this comes together in May and Iíd be pretty skeptical that this happens at all this summer. Maybe thereís a July/August through November Mlb fall league in AZ. But I think itíll be a while if it happens at all and it canít even really be considered until thereís an endless supply of tests that give results same day.
    Last edited by CP_414; 04-08-2020 at 10:19 AM.

The players and owners want to play. Thereís just a lot of obstacles that exist. There needs to be a huge increase in availability of testing before itís even considered at all. As ivy pointed out youíd need frequent testing of everyone involved from players/coaches to grounds crew, security, hotel staff, umps, media, etc. Youíd then need the buy in from all those people to commit to be quarantined in isolation between a hotel room and a ballpark and additional compensation for the non players to do this. Youíd need it to be profitable enough for owners to move forward with zero attendance revenue. Right now they are barely paying salaries, if they play players presumably will want their whole contract so they might need to renegotiate how much owners pay since revenues will be significantly down or owners may be better off not having games. Youíd also effectively have no minor league system or rehab system and the availability of medical care for injured players would need to be there too. Youíd then need government approval and Arizona to not be on a stay at home order or to deem mlb as essential business. Then the logistical aspect of what the season actually looks like and how you play a full season outdoors in Arizona in summer at times that would still allow you to maximize local tv revenues in the home cities.

Then what happens when someone gets C-19? Players are generally young and healthy do they have less risk, but still some risk. Umps and coaches and many media members and others around the game are in many cases older and less healthy. If a player tests positive his whole team was exposed, do they all keep playing or is there a period of time that they stop? The optics would be pretty terrible.

Eventually the testing situation will improve enough to start considering some of these other obstacles, so itís good that they are thinking about it, but I canít imagine this comes together in May and Iíd be pretty skeptical that this happens at all this summer. Maybe thereís a July/August through November Mlb fall league in AZ. But I think itíll be a while if it happens at all and it canít even really be considered until thereís an endless supply of tests that give results same day.
    Ya the C-19 & contractual stuff are definitely more of the hurdles here to me. I guess my main point is I don't think players are gonna throw away their money or lose a year of their playing careers because of the isolation/self-quarantine related stuff. It certainly doesn't feel super feasible at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Ya the C-19 & contractual stuff are definitely more of the hurdles here to me. I guess my main point is I don't think players are gonna throw away their money or lose a year of their playing careers because of the isolation/self-quarantine related stuff. It certainly doesn't feel super feasible at this time.
    Yeah. Iím sure players want to play.

Catching up on the thread here.

CubsRule08, so sorry to hear about your dog, brother. I can't imagine how heartbreaking that is. You gave your dog a really great life. A really happy one full of love and being cared for by a family. That matters, my friend. As painful as it is to bury a family member like that, just remember the happy life you were able to give. Not all dogs get to live like that.
    Chicago Cubs ē Chicago Blackhawks ē Buffalo Bills ē Southern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi Osaka ē Angelique Kerber ē Bianca Andreescu

Page 65 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast