Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 856 to 870 of 1162
  1. #856
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,145
    I know there would be a thread on this forum to put this but some of you have children. https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of...mpression=true

    A) That is disgusting and B) It’s a real eye opener to go to a public hospital if you don’t have health insurance.

  2. #857
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18,449
    Mets vs. Cubs from 1994 on MLBN right now. The good old days!
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

    Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

  3. #858
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18,449
    Kerry's 20 K game is currently on ESPN. I have enjoyed watching these classic Cubs games.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

    Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

  4. #859
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18,449
    22 years ago, seen the game before, and I'm still fist pumping when Kerry piles up the Ks.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

    Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

  5. #860
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Kerry's 20 K game is currently on ESPN. I have enjoyed watching these classic Cubs games.
    That was way before my time as a Cubs/Baseball fan. But just reading the stats about that day is goosebump inducing. 20k’s, 1 hitter (wasn’t it a play that could have been made?), Game Score of 105/highest in a 9 inning game in history. 5th career start and only 20 years old.

    22 years later and it is still talked about in great detail. Tell me another sport that is as historical as Baseball is? The majority of baseball fans know the big things that happened in 1941 or in 1947 or in 1969 or in 1986. I couldn’t tell you the year and the opponent that Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points.

  6. #861
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18,449
    Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    That was way before my time as a Cubs/Baseball fan. But just reading the stats about that day is goosebump inducing. 20k’s, 1 hitter (wasn’t it a play that could have been made?), Game Score of 105/highest in a 9 inning game in history. 5th career start and only 20 years old.

    22 years later and it is still talked about in great detail. Tell me another sport that is as historical as Baseball is? The majority of baseball fans know the big things that happened in 1941 or in 1947 or in 1969 or in 1986. I couldn’t tell you the year and the opponent that Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points.
    Yes, Kevin Orie couldn't make the play on a grounder to 3rd. If that game isn't the greatest game ever pitched, it's a finalist in the conversation.

    Great point about baseball. There's a rich history and tradition in the game that seems absent in other sports. Performances become the stuff of legends. And how lucky are we as fans that the venue that Kerry threw that unbelievable game in is still home to our Cubs? That's the single coolest part of Wrigley Field to me. It has changed over the years, but when I walk through the gates and see that ivy and hear the organ on a sunny afternoon, man... the memories just come flooding in. Dawson, Sandberg, Wood, Grace, Harry... even stuff before my time like Ronnie, Ernie. Man, I love this team!
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

    Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

  7. #862
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,803

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    That was way before my time as a Cubs/Baseball fan. But just reading the stats about that day is goosebump inducing. 20k’s, 1 hitter (wasn’t it a play that could have been made?), Game Score of 105/highest in a 9 inning game in history. 5th career start and only 20 years old.

    22 years later and it is still talked about in great detail. Tell me another sport that is as historical as Baseball is? The majority of baseball fans know the big things that happened in 1941 or in 1947 or in 1969 or in 1986. I couldn’t tell you the year and the opponent that Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points.
    Oh yeah. Probably one of the greatest games ever pitched, if not the greatest.

    Still makes me think what could’ve been had Prior and Wood been healthy and not oft-injured. Luckily 2016 erased those thoughts, but we could’ve won in 2003 with them. I honestly think we could’ve beat the Yankees in the 2003 WS had we made it.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  8. #863
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,051
    I don’t see how it’s remotely fair that if this season is cancelled the dodgers get no games with Betts but still have to pay the trade package.

    I’m obviously just using that as one example as it was one of the biggest trades. But, how is that fair?

  9. #864
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,145

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Yes, Kevin Orie couldn't make the play on a grounder to 3rd. If that game isn't the greatest game ever pitched, it's a finalist in the conversation.

    Great point about baseball. There's a rich history and tradition in the game that seems absent in other sports. Performances become the stuff of legends. And how lucky are we as fans that the venue that Kerry threw that unbelievable game in is still home to our Cubs? That's the single coolest part of Wrigley Field to me. It has changed over the years, but when I walk through the gates and see that ivy and hear the organ on a sunny afternoon, man... the memories just come flooding in. Dawson, Sandberg, Wood, Grace, Harry... even stuff before my time like Ronnie, Ernie. Man, I love this team!
    Obviously I haven’t scratched the surface of how historical Wrigley Field is but the one time I did go (in July 2018), that was my first thought when I went into the stadium was how so much history has been played in that stadium. The only other stadium I’ve been to that is historical is the MCG in Australia but Wrigley Field is something else for Baseball.

    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Oh yeah. Probably one of the greatest games ever pitched, if not the greatest.

    Still makes me think what could’ve been had Prior and Wood been healthy and not oft-injured. Luckily 2016 erased those thoughts, but we could’ve won in 2003 with them. I honestly think we could’ve beat the Yankees in the 2003 WS had we made it.
    It does suck that it never came to fruition. Up 3-1 against the Marlins and some boneheaded plays in Game 6 cost a date with a team that got crushed against the same Marlins team. It is scary how much that Game 6 in 2003 almost mirrored Game 7 in 2016 with the almost the amount of outs to clinch the series. Lucky that Game 7 had a different end.

    And yeah, injuries are **** especially when they follow you throughout your career. Just horrible.

    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    I don’t see how it’s remotely fair that if this season is cancelled the dodgers get no games with Betts but still have to pay the trade package.

    I’m obviously just using that as one example as it was one of the biggest trades. But, how is that fair?
    Yeah, it does suck for the Dodgers. But if you null and void that trade, you have to do the same across the board with trades that have multiple players involved even if those players have multiple years of control left.

  10. #865
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    33
    Poor Dodgers, I cry for them!

  11. #866
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,803

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    I don’t see how it’s remotely fair that if this season is cancelled the dodgers get no games with Betts but still have to pay the trade package.

    I’m obviously just using that as one example as it was one of the biggest trades. But, how is that fair?
    That’s all on the MLBPA who wanted players to gain service time even with no baseball playing right now.

    But since it doesn’t affect the Cubs, I don’t really care about it. Sucks for LA lol

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  12. #867
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,803

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread


    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  13. #868
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,145

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    That’s all on the MLBPA who wanted players to gain service time even with no baseball playing right now.

    But since it doesn’t affect the Cubs, I don’t really care about it. Sucks for LA lol
    That sucks for us because Bryant will be harder to trade if we wanted to trade him in 2021, if we get no baseball in 2020, therefore no team will fall over backwards to trade for someone who hadn’t played in a year and a half by that stage (FYI; I don’t want to trade him but it’s a thought). The only upshot of the system is Lester and Chatwood won’t gain an extra year of control in the event of a lost season so they’re still off the books after 2020 and Heyward doesn’t gain an extra year of control.

    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Further reminder that the Cubs are blessed with the best TV announcers in Baseball.

    Edit: A fangraphs article on the 1990s Cleveland Indians had this little nugget of information: “The 1998 Houston Astros were the lone National League team that even managed to crack the Top 10 in wOBA, wRC+, or offensive WAR.”. That just adds to the legend of Kerry Wood destroying that team. Wow
    Last edited by JHBulls; 03-29-2020 at 01:10 PM.

  14. #869
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,803

    2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    That sucks for us because Bryant will be harder to trade if we wanted to trade him in 2021, if we get no baseball in 2020, therefore no team will fall over backwards to trade for someone who hadn’t played in a year and a half by that stage. The only upshot of the system is Lester and Chatwood won’t gain an extra year of control in the event of a lost season so they’re still off the books after 2020 and Heyward doesn’t gain an extra year of control.



    Further reminder that the Cubs are blessed with the best TV announcers in Baseball.

    Edit: A fangraphs article on the 1990s Cleveland Indians had this little nugget of information: “The 1998 Houston Astros were the lone National League team that even managed to crack the Top 10 in wOBA, wRC+, or offensive WAR.”. That just adds to the legend of Kerry Wood destroying that team. Wow
    I forgot about the Bryant situation. Lol oops.

    Either way, the Betts trade still doesn’t affect the Cubs so I don’t feel bad for the Dodgers trading for him and might not even have anything to show for it

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  15. #870
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,145
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    I forgot about the Bryant situation. Lol oops.

    Either way, the Betts trade still doesn’t affect the Cubs so I don’t feel bad for the Dodgers trading for him and might not even have anything to show for it
    Oh, definitely agree with you. That team has pixie dust coming out of their arses. They’ll be fine.

Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •