Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    MLBN is showing the Cubs 23-22 game with the Phillies from the 1979 season. It's... something... at least. I actually miss the days of simpler broadcasts like this. The over-analyzation of sports has taken a significant enjoyment out of watching for me. Presentations are so stressful. So, I enjoy the old-time broadcasts.
    I remember watching that game like it was yesterday

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If I had to guess I would guess that everything will be pro rated. If they miss half the season the tax will be 104 million, and everybody's salary would be reduced by half. It makes the most sense to me to pro rate everything so everything is relative
    It sounds like the players might end up getting paid regardless. Still lots of unknowns in how the CBA will be interpreted regarding pay, tax, service time, bonuses, etc. I donít think mlb knows these answers yet.

Dumbest idea and huge mistake if Manfred does this..

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/s...604048384?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Dumbest idea and huge mistake if Manfred does this..

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/s...604048384?s=19
    How do you realistically evaluate the talent? HS will have played zero games. College played between 15-20 games. Thatís extremely difficult for MLB teams to draft under those circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least Chcago has a real QB now.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    How do you realistically evaluate the talent? HS will have played zero games. College played between 15-20 games. Thatís extremely difficult for MLB teams to draft under those circumstances.

So the College seniors all go undrafted?
    I would hope they evaluate these players off of more then 1 season

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    So the College seniors all go undrafted?
    I would hope they evaluate these players off of more then 1 season
    I mean no youíre not basing everything on 1 season. Itís much more complicated with HS kids who could be potential 1st rounders. With college kids you have a pretty good idea already but to me itís all the guys after the 1st 2 rounds that get complicated. For instance, my college team has a guy who I think was on his way to playing himself into a 2nd round pick this year. Heís been blocked by a legacy kid the past 2 years who was a 3 year starter at SS. He finally got his opportunity this year at his natural position and hit (at leadoff) .390/.575/.695 with 5 hr and 17 rbi and 9 steals in 17 games. He had a 2 hit game left on left against Reed Detmers (ace from Louisville who will go in the first round). Now he could be over looked going by his first 2 seasons where he had limited playing time and played out of position while hitting in the bottom of the order. We have 2 more guys just on this team with similar stories. I say this because every P5 college team probably has similar situations where thereís just not enough sample size, especially in the later rounds trying to draft guys. Can the draft be done? Yes I think it can be. It will just be extremely difficult to find the best talent. I mean you could potentially be giving millions of dollars to a kid that had a great HS junior season when he was 17 years old. Instead of being able to watch him play his senior season of HS, you have to decide if youíve seen enough of him to commit a 1st round pick and millions of dollars to him. Am I splitting hairs here? Maybe, but I can come up with tons of scenarios where having the draft will cause potential issues. If they do have it, it is what it is. Every team will deal with the same problems. Iím probably more concerned because we are actually drafting 15 (?) this year and I want to get it right.

Edit: No, college seniors wonít go undrafted. The NCAA has granted College seniors another year of eligibility for all spring sports (Baseball). So seniors who had their season cut off will get another year. Juniors who were going to enter the draft will obviously have the opportunity to return, but we all know the risks in that... especially if you are projected to go in the first 3 rounds.

Last edited by ivyboys; 03-19-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I mean no youíre not basing everything on 1 season. Itís much more complicated with HS kids who could be potential 1st rounders. With college kids you have a pretty good idea already but to me itís all the guys after the 1st 2 rounds that get complicated. For instance, my college team has a guy who I think was on his way to playing himself into a 2nd round pick this year. Heís been blocked by a legacy kid the past 2 years who was a 3 year starter at SS. He finally got his opportunity this year at his natural position and hit (at leadoff) .390/.575/.695 with 5 hr and 17 rbi and 9 steals in 17 games. He had a 2 hit game left on left against Reed Detmers (ace from Louisville who will go in the first round). Now he could be over looked going by his first 2 seasons where he had limited playing time and played out of position while hitting in the bottom of the order. We have 2 more guys just on this team with similar stories. I say this because every P5 college team probably has similar situations where thereís just not enough sample size, especially in the later rounds trying to draft guys. Can the draft be done? Yes I think it can be. It will just be extremely difficult to find the best talent. I mean you could potentially be giving millions of dollars to a kid that had a great HS junior season when he was 17 years old. Instead of being able to watch him play his senior season of HS, you have to decide if youíve seen enough of him to commit a 1st round pick and millions of dollars to him. Am I splitting hairs here? Maybe, but I can come up with tons of scenarios where having the draft will cause potential issues. If they do have it, it is what it is. Every team will deal with the same problems. Iím probably more concerned because we are actually drafting 15 (?) this year and I want to get it right.

Edit: No, college seniors wonít go undrafted. The NCAA has granted College seniors another year of eligibility for all spring sports (Baseball). So seniors who had their season cut off will get another year. Juniors who were going to enter the draft will obviously have the opportunity to return, but we all know the risks in that... especially if you are projected to go in the first 3 rounds.

I get what you're saying and yes HS kids would be much tougher to evaluate with them not playing their season year..

Maybe the best case scenario would be to cut the draft in half to 20 rounds or something...

I just dont think eliminating it all together is a good idea

California is in a lockdown with the Governor estimating that 25.5M residents will get Covid-19 within the next 8 weeks. Maybe that is a massive scare tactic but ****ing hell if the estimate is even a quarter of that.

The more I hear stuff like that, the more I believe we wonít see baseball this year which is just a minor thing anyway as what is happening now is more important.

Marquee is up and running on Hulu now. Didnít see that mentioned here, but might have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    California is in a lockdown with the Governor estimating that 25.5M residents will get Covid-19 within the next 8 weeks. Maybe that is a massive scare tactic but ****ing hell if the estimate is even a quarter of that.

The more I hear stuff like that, the more I believe we wonít see baseball this year which is just a minor thing anyway as what is happening now is more important.
    I think the major problem is the lack of a vaccine. They are taking the appropriate steps right now and it should flatten the curve. It's hard to gauge it but if enough people are taking it seriously I'm betting we'd be seeing the numbers of cases starting to drop by may or so. But even after that I'm not really sure what the plan should be going forward. The virus isn't going away. If we all return to normal the virus will start spreading again. Initial estimates for a safe vaccine look like atleast over a year. I won't be surprised if there is no baseball season. The projections are pretty depressing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Marquee is up and running on Hulu now. Didnít see that mentioned here, but might have missed it.
    It coincides with Comcast XF1 starting up with Hulu

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I think the major problem is the lack of a vaccine. They are taking the appropriate steps right now and it should flatten the curve. It's hard to gauge it but if enough people are taking it seriously I'm betting we'd be seeing the numbers of cases starting to drop by may or so. But even after that I'm not really sure what the plan should be going forward. The virus isn't going away. If we all return to normal the virus will start spreading again. Initial estimates for a safe vaccine look like atleast over a year. I won't be surprised if there is no baseball season. The projections are pretty depressing at this point.
    I have no expectation that there will be a baseball season either. We have far bigger issues if the spread over the next 8 weeks is anywhere close to the CA Governors concern. I believe that was a ďworst case scenario if we donít change our behaviorĒ projection, but even if it is 10% of the population rather than 50% in the next 8 weeks there will be a massive number of deaths. Barring a vaccine or a highly effective treatment we are likely in for a very long period of social distancing. Even if the warmer weather slows it a little itíll be strong in other parts of the world and itíll be here as it gets colder.

Be safe.

In terms of baseball, I now really wish the Cubs just completely blew it up this offseason and had the #1 farm system in mlb now. Potentially losing a season on the backend of a competitive window is unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I have no expectation that there will be a baseball season either. We have far bigger issues if the spread over the next 8 weeks is anywhere close to the CA Governors concern. I believe that was a ďworst case scenario if we donít change our behaviorĒ projection, but even if it is 10% of the population rather than 50% in the next 8 weeks there will be a massive number of deaths. Barring a vaccine or a highly effective treatment we are likely in for a very long period of social distancing. Even if the warmer weather slows it a little itíll be strong in other parts of the world and itíll be here as it gets colder.

Be safe.

In terms of baseball, I now really wish the Cubs just completely blew it up this offseason and had the #1 farm system in mlb now. Potentially losing a season on the backend of a competitive window is unfortunate.
    Yah, that's pretty much where i'm at. I just can't envision any real solutions at this point. There are going to be a lot of hard decisions over the next 12-18 months. In the end, i'm guessing whether or not to fill up stadiums with 40k people will be an easy one.

Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast