Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 50 of 75 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I can imagine how excited you were to make the trip. So disappointing.

I just hope they don't mess with the schedule to the point that it changes everything. We have a group of 12 going to Atlanta. 6 BR house already reserved.....plane tickets bought, and tickets just up from the Cubs dugout already purchased.
    I was also thinking about going to the Atlanta series right before the ASB. Already have about 6 others committed to going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    What about the draft? College kids. High school kids. They won't have seasons in many cases. You're going to be shooting in the dark even more. Are kids going to sign if they think they would have gone higher of they actually played? Are guys going to get an extra year of eligibility because they played a fraction of a season?

It's going to be messy all around. Sounds trivial right now to wonder about that stuff, but it's going to make the draft weird.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Lots of time to figure it out, but the draft will be a mess with no HS or college baseball seasons. Minor leagues too. Could be a lot of lost development time for prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    I'm in Dawk, I just spent 2K on Pappy Van Winkle so what the hell- you pick this up and I'll bring the Pappy.
    Guess not??

April without baseball is gonna feel weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    Guess not??
    I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I just wonder how this will affect starters in particular as well as everybody else obviously. I mean we were at the point where starters were getting stretched out (Darvish 70 pitches last night). Does the team stay together back in Chicago and do some sort of practice every day? Can the Cubs scrimmage the AAA team to keep a game like environment? I guess we donít know the answer to any of this until we get an official announcement of when the season will start. Itís crazy unchartered territory.

It would make sense for the Cubs to maybe do some scrub/simulated games just with the rest of the players that are in camp. Cubs pitchers facing Cubs hitters. That way you are introducing the fewest people to each other. No need to unnecessarily bring in the AAA club etc.

They should just do this until the season starts and then consider moving everyone back to Chicago in April when the weather gets warmer. Or just stay in AZ. Who knows. This will be interesting to see. Shutting everyone down seems like a radical approach, and as you say pitchers still need to work. Even if MLB tries to shut everything down players are still going to workout.

If peeps get bored you can always rewatch the Cubs 2016 World Series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRFjadMJdHM

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    It would make sense for the Cubs to maybe do some scrub/simulated games just with the rest of the players that are in camp. Cubs pitchers facing Cubs hitters. That way you are introducing the fewest people to each other. No need to unnecessarily bring in the AAA club etc.

They should just do this until the season starts and then consider moving everyone back to Chicago in April when the weather gets warmer. Or just stay in AZ. Who knows. This will be interesting to see. Shutting everyone down seems like a radical approach, and as you say pitchers still need to work. Even if MLB tries to shut everything down players are still going to workout.
    I mean I was talking about once everybody is cleared to play again. When I wrote that last night it seemed like all teams were going to go home. Now today itís looking like teams could possibly stay in AZ and FL.

Itís impossible to speculate on how this will play out because we just donít know. There are so many issues like the scheduling, draft, service time, money and the whole business side. Like I saw today where it takes about 3 months to put together the schedule. It would probably be impossible to redo the schedule to make it a 140 game season. Sure you could just eliminate inter league play, but everybodyís schedule would be screwed up and it would be nearly impossible to line up everything to make it work. Just say the commissioner announces the season will start May 1st and everybody starts in whatever series they would have been in on May 1st. Well then you face teams playing a different amount of games. Just using random numbers here.. the Cubs might have to play 130 games while the Cardinals might only play 120 games. We would also miss I think 13 division games and a series against Baltimore (one of the worst teams in baseball) while the Cardinals miss 7 games against LAD (one of the best teams in baseball).

Iím glad Iím not in charge of figuring this out because it has potential to be a disaster and because you just canít be fair to every team... kinda like the unfortunate scheduling (for the Cubs atleast) of STL possibly not having to play the Dodgers 7 times in April. I mean look at college athletics. College baseball was about 20 games into their seasons. Do seniors get another year of eligibility? Do schools get extra scholarships to give out for next year if seniors are allowed another year of eligibility? This has to potential to wreak havoc in the sports world.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    If peeps get bored you can always rewatch the Cubs 2016 World Series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRFjadMJdHM
    Just rewatched the 10th inning of game 7, for the umpteenth time. I will never, ever get tired of watching that. Thanks. I needed that right now.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    April without baseball is gonna feel weird.
    Most likely it wonít return in April. One month will turn into longer, most likely.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 03-13-2020 at 07:46 PM.

30 days seems to be what everyone looking at...

So if they resume again around April 13
    They would probably need 2 weeks of ST to get everyone up to par again
    So, May 1st should be when they start the regular season.

Teams are scheduled for 30 to 32 games through April, So instead of trying to cram those games into September and October, hopefully they're smart enough to just have the computers redo a 130 game schedule starting May 1st.

Probably best thing to do is eliminate all inter league games first

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

Teams are scheduled for 30 to 32 games through April, So instead of trying to cram those games into September and October, hopefully they're smart enough to just have the computers redo a 130 game schedule starting May 1st.

They can't. 15 teams in each league would leave two not playing every weekend. Interleague has to happen.

They'll probably just skip the games they missed if they play then. But I'll be honest, I don't think it'll be 30 days. The numbers are going to go up. They'll have a hard time justifiably starting a season. They'll need some exhibition games.

I bet we dont see an MLB game until May. Maybe late. The weather needs to warm to slow Corona. Then it'll be practicing.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 03-13-2020 at 11:53 PM.

2020 Cubs Spring Training Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    They can't. 15 teams in each league would leave two not playing every weekend. Interleague has to happen.

They'll probably just skip the games they missed if they play then. But I'll be honest, I don't think it'll be 30 days. The numbers are going to go up. They'll have a hard time justifiably starting a season. They'll need some exhibition games.

I bet we dont see an MLB game until May. Maybe late. The weather needs to warm to slow Corona. Then it'll be practicing.

Sport is still going on in Australia where it has grinded to a halt everywhere else it seems. Cricket and all football codes are being played without fans. The basketball is having its Grand Final at the moment and last night was Game 2, no fans was the memo but I saw about 100 fans in attendance who just went and werenít turned away despite the ďno crowdĒ rule. Just a matter of time a player gets Covid-19 and sport stops here.

I canít see the MLB starting when they say it will. The summer might be the best possible start time.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 03-14-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

You canít just redo the schedule. I said in my post yesterday that it takes about 3 months to create the schedule. I believe that. I imagine creating a schedule for all 30 teams and managing off days is extremely difficult and time consuming.

I would prefer a shortened season to an extended one.

The NHL played a couple of shortened seasons due to lockouts. The most recent being the 2012-13 season, which was a 48-game season that began in January. Only intra-conference games were played. Not sure how they worked out their schedules.

Page 50 of 75 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast