Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 1134
  1. #571
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    I know it is spring training and I also know a few people are going to pick this apart, but I am getting a little excited about Chatwood. Now, I am only going by box scores. I have not been able to watch him, but he is pitching very well. And not really walking people. If he can harness his stuff he might just be the guy they hoped to get back in 18'. And that would go a long way to stabilizing the rotation. Again, I have not seen him pitch. But seems every time he does, he is doing very well.

  2. #572
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I know it is spring training and I also know a few people are going to pick this apart, but I am getting a little excited about Chatwood. Now, I am only going by box scores. I have not been able to watch him, but he is pitching very well. And not really walking people. If he can harness his stuff he might just be the guy they hoped to get back in 18'. And that would go a long way to stabilizing the rotation. Again, I have not seen him pitch. But seems every time he does, he is doing very well.
    I know we probably don't want to take the risk, but part of me wonders if he has a good year if we try to resign him to a similar deal. With Lester, Q and Chatwood all FA after this year, it is going to be interesting to see what we do with the Staff after 2020.

  3. #573
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I know it is spring training and I also know a few people are going to pick this apart, but I am getting a little excited about Chatwood. Now, I am only going by box scores. I have not been able to watch him, but he is pitching very well. And not really walking people. If he can harness his stuff he might just be the guy they hoped to get back in 18'. And that would go a long way to stabilizing the rotation. Again, I have not seen him pitch. But seems every time he does, he is doing very well.
    You know ST numbers hold no weight! IF they did I would be excited about him and Happ for sure. Actually I can say Iím excited about Happ because I was already expecting a breakout year from him before ST even started. I hope it happens. If he can hit to his potential it would really help this lineup. A good Happ hitting in the 6 hole behind our core 4 and Schwarber would be sick. If Nico can fix the small things and really contribute from June on, I would put this lineup up against any at that point. Have Heyward in the 7 or 8 spot with no pressure and let him do his thing there like last year before he got moved up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #574
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,219
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    You know ST numbers hold no weight! IF they did I would be excited about him and Happ for sure. Actually I can say Iím excited about Happ because I was already expecting a breakout year from him before ST even started. I hope it happens. If he can hit to his potential it would really help this lineup. A good Happ hitting in the 6 hole behind our core 4 and Schwarber would be sick. If Nico can fix the small things and really contribute from June on, I would put this lineup up against any at that point. Have Heyward in the 7 or 8 spot with no pressure and let him do his thing there like last year before he got moved up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm would mean a lot more if you coupled it with evidence that suggested ST did matter or carry into the regular season or something. As it stands, it's just snarkiness

  5. #575
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Your sarcasm would mean a lot more if you coupled it with evidence that suggested ST did matter or carry into the regular season or something. As it stands, it's just snarkiness
    Basically other people can say something about ST numbers, but the minute I mention a battle for the 26th roster spot then I have to get called out? Got it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #576
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,219
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Basically other people can say something about ST numbers, but the minute I mention a battle for the 26th roster spot then I have to get called out? Got it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I won't speak for anyone else, but I haven't got an issue with anyone talking about who gets the last spot. I think it's a fruitless battle because all of our options leave a lot to be desired, but it's whatever, there's not really much to talk about this time of the year anyway. I just think it's wrong to say that ST stats are or should be a determinent. Anyway, it's not calling you out, I don't even know you, much less have anything against you. I just thought your comment was wrong so I said it. If you think it's not wrong, tell me how it's not in a way that isn't a sarcastic quip with no substance attached to it.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 03-10-2020 at 07:57 PM.

  7. #577
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    86,823
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Anybody want to go halfsies?
    https://www.fanatics.com/x-548
    Guess not.

  8. #578
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by BearDown1223 View Post
    I know we probably don't want to take the risk, but part of me wonders if he has a good year if we try to resign him to a similar deal. With Lester, Q and Chatwood all FA after this year, it is going to be interesting to see what we do with the Staff after 2020.
    We're screwed for starting pitching next year, we need to get 1 in a trade at least. The free agent class for starting pitchers next offseason is weak, no aces on the market, highest rated is Trevor Bauer, Marcus Stroman, and Masahiro Tanaka, meh, those guys are roll the dice. No guys like Cole and Strasburg. Luckily we have Darvish and Hendricks locked up, our best pitchers.

    With Lester (10 mil to pay if we decline option), Quintana, and Chatwood we have 33 million freed up to spend. Arbitration for Baez, Contreras, Schwarber will mean 4 to 5 million in raises each, and Happ will probably get 2-3 mil raise if he has a good year, Almora maybe 1-2 million, Caratini a couple million. That's about 20 mil already spent just on arbitration.

    If we keep Bryant that's another 5 million raise in arbitration, but he'll likely be traded. Let's assume we get under the cap this year to reset and raise our payroll by 10-15 million for 2021. That's about 25-30 million to spend on free agents and other new players we receive in trade for KB or elsewhere, and we need 3 starting pitchers and a 3b to replace Bryant. The only 3B FA next offseason of any good impact is Justin Turner, but he'll be 36 y/o.

    https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-top-free-agents-2021-class
    Last edited by Stratos; 03-10-2020 at 08:28 PM.

  9. #579
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    4,932
    Spring Training numbers don't matter. But let's not forget that Tyler Chatwood was one of the best pitchers on this team in the 2nd half last year. 2.55 FIP 2.96 xFIP and 10.80 K/9 with only 3.13 BB/9. It was in a specific role for sure. But there is definitely reason to be optimistic about him.

  10. #580
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I know it is spring training and I also know a few people are going to pick this apart, but I am getting a little excited about Chatwood. Now, I am only going by box scores. I have not been able to watch him, but he is pitching very well. And not really walking people. If he can harness his stuff he might just be the guy they hoped to get back in 18'. And that would go a long way to stabilizing the rotation. Again, I have not seen him pitch. But seems every time he does, he is doing very well.
    Promising, i guess we'll see how consistent he is. If he or whoever is our #5 and can manage an ERA under 4 i'd be extremely happy. Even if it's around 4 that's good.

    I'm most happy that Happ is still swining a really good bat. If he goes something around .340 OBP/.480 SLG i'd be happy and that would be huge for us given CF last year. He could slug even better that than. If Bote/Hoerner can get us decent results at 2B this year that will be a big upgrade too. Something around a .780 OPS i'd be ok with. Heyward can't hit lefties, i wish we had a guy who could really mash lefties, Souza is .759 OPS career vs lefties, meh for a RHB.
    Last edited by Stratos; 03-10-2020 at 08:55 PM.

  11. #581
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Spring Training numbers don't matter. But let's not forget that Tyler Chatwood was one of the best pitchers on this team in the 2nd half last year. 2.55 FIP 2.96 xFIP and 10.80 K/9 with only 3.13 BB/9. It was in a specific role for sure. But there is definitely reason to be optimistic about him.
    Those stats are over 31.2 bullpen innings. It's hardly a significant sample. I don't think there's much of a reason to believe he's any better than Chatwood has ever been. With that said, he really wasn't bad last year and it wouldn't shock me if he were back to the pitcher he was before he came to the Cubs (that of a competent 5 starter). But I'd be quite shocked if he repeated anything close to that 2nd half performance over any substantial amount of time.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 03-10-2020 at 08:57 PM.

  12. #582
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    4,932
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Those stats are over 31.2 bullpen innings. It's hardly a significant sample. I don't think there's much of a reason to believe he's any better than Chatwood has ever been. With that said, he really wasn't bad last year and it wouldn't shock me if he were back to the pitcher he was before he came to the Cubs (that of a competent 5 starter). But I'd be quite shocked if he repeated anything close to that 2nd half performance over any substantial amount of time.
    He actually started twice during that period, and was pretty damn good. I'm not sure I really buy into this idea I've seen thrown around that he can only perform well as a reliever. If he's throwing strikes he should be a fine 5th starter. His 2nd half last year was easily the best 3 month stretch of his career and it looked like some pretty clear progress on his control after a lot of work on his mechanics. I definitely don't think he's going to repeat that performance, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me a bit if he outperformed a guy like Jon Lester in 2020. He's extremely hard to hit if he can get ahead of batters.

  13. #583
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    He actually started twice during that period, and was pretty damn good. I'm not sure I really buy into this idea I've seen thrown around that he can only perform well as a reliever. If he's throwing strikes he should be a fine 5th starter. His 2nd half last year was easily the best 3 month stretch of his career and it looked like some pretty clear progress on his control after a lot of work on his mechanics. I definitely don't think he's going to repeat that performance, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me a bit if he outperformed a guy like Jon Lester in 2020. He's extremely hard to hit if he can get ahead of batters.
    His two starts you're referring to, he went for 4 and 3.2 IP. He was doing his same long man thing just at the beginning of the game instead. Anyway, again, it's ultimately 31.2 IP. It's probably his best 3 month stretch because he was a reliever. Were he starting, he would have up to 3 times the amount of IP. I'd bet he's probably had similar 32 inning stretches before.

    His splits:
    As Starter: 4.49 FIP/4.66 xFIP
    As Reliever: 4.20 FIP/3.67 xFIP

    He's not average as a starter or reliever, but he's servicable at least. Again, it wouldn't shock me if he were a competent 5th starter, but I don't think he showed anything significant last year to suggest he's anything better than he's ever been in his career. If he outperforms Lester I think it says more about Lester declining than Chatwood doing anything he's never done before.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 03-10-2020 at 09:31 PM.

  14. #584
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    4,932
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    His two starts you're referring to, he went for 4 and 3.2 IP. He was doing his same long man thing just at the beginning of the game instead. Anyway, again, it's ultimately 31.2 IP.

    His splits:
    As Starter: 4.49 FIP/4.66 xFIP
    As Reliever: 4.20 FIP/3.67 xFIP

    He's not average as a starter or reliever, but he's servicable at least. Again, it wouldn't shock me if he were a competent 5th starter, but I don't think he showed anything significant last year to suggest he's anything better than he's ever been in his career. If he outperforms Lester I think it says more about Lester declining than Chatwood doing anything he's never done before.
    We'll see. I'm certainly making no claims he's going to be competing for the Cy Young. I do think that the 30 + innings last season where he controlled the zone extremely well and was at a 8.5 BB% is the guy they spent all last offseason and much of last year working hard to create. Sample size is a valid argument but that same guy has showed up so far in spring training. We'll have to wait and see if he can regularly do that this year in the rotation. He wouldn't be the first guy with awful control and great stuff who eventually became competent with some mechanical adjustments. It's safe to say the Cubs thought there was room for improvement or they wouldn't have went after him in the first place.

  15. #585
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    We'll see. I'm certainly making no claims he's going to be competing for the Cy Young. I do think that the 30 + innings last season where he controlled the zone extremely well and was at a 8.5 BB% is the guy they spent all last offseason and much of last year working hard to create. Sample size is a valid argument but that same guy has showed up so far in spring training. We'll have to wait and see if he can regularly do that this year in the rotation. He wouldn't be the first guy with awful control and great stuff who eventually became competent with some mechanical adjustments. It's safe to say the Cubs thought there was room for improvement or they wouldn't have went after him in the first place.
    His 8 innings of ST performance is even less meaningful than the arbitrary 32 IP sample from last year. Chatwood is 30. He's entering his 9th season. I think it's highly, highly unlikely he's gonna be substantially better than he's ever been in his career. Again, I think people should be happy to just get a competent 5th starter type season from him after the last two years.

Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •