Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Caratini is a nice back up catcher and a solid bench bat. But I do not think he should be taking many, if any AB from Rizzo. I also would not be opposed to dealing Caratini, either in a bigger deal to get the budget below the LT, or a pitcher can take Q's spot so they can trade Q to get under the cap.
    Totally agree with this. Rizzo should be in there every single day besides a normal day off here and there. Iíd definitely try to sale Caratini as a starting caliber catcher thatís just stuck behind one of the best catchers in baseball though. I think he has a track record of getting exposed a bit when he has had to play everyday. Donít get me wrong, I think Vic is an awesome backup, I just donít know how good the bat would be starting 120-130 games.

And I do wish that if we are going to trade Q, we do it before the season. Trading Q doesnít seem like something that would be difficult to do. It shouldnít take months to work out like trading a super star can take. Just do it and get it over with. Iím afraid they are buying into the whole ďletís take one last run at itĒ approach, which I think is a mistake. If one of our core players gets hurt, we are probably screwed. Bullpen could be anywhere from bad, to decent, to good... and thatís concerning. Letís face it... if we donít get under the tax this year, then we are facing a whole other offseason of doing nothing again. We are all sick of that approach. If they were going to take one more shot, they shouldíve added a proven pen arm, Castellanos, and a Julio Tehran type 5th starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Totally agree with this. Rizzo should be in there every single day besides a normal day off here and there. Iíd definitely try to sale Caratini as a starting caliber catcher thatís just stuck behind one of the best catchers in baseball though. I think he has a track record of getting exposed a bit when he has had to play everyday. Donít get me wrong, I think Vic is an awesome backup, I just donít know how good the bat would be starting 120-130 games.

And I do wish that if we are going to trade Q, we do it before the season. Trading Q doesnít seem like something that would be difficult to do. It shouldnít take months to work out like trading a super star can take. Just do it and get it over with. Iím afraid they are buying into the whole ďletís take one last run at itĒ approach, which I think is a mistake. If one of our core players gets hurt, we are probably screwed. Bullpen could be anywhere from bad, to decent, to good... and thatís concerning. Letís face it... if we donít get under the tax this year, then we are facing a whole other offseason of doing nothing again. We are all sick of that approach. If they were going to take one more shot, they shouldíve added a proven pen arm, Castellanos, and a Julio Tehran type 5th starter.

I think that Rizzo, and the rest of the core should get maybe one scheduled day off a month. That said, VC is likely going to be that guy getting Rizzo's AB's in those games.

I think that 5-10 starts at 1B, and maybe 30 starts behind the plate is a fair estimate for his playing time. Mix in some almost certain missed time due to possible injuries, he may get about 50 starts.

I'd say that 250 PA's is the high end for him. If he's getting more than 50 starts, in all likelihood, we are having injury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I think that Rizzo, and the rest of the core should get maybe one scheduled day off a month. That said, VC is likely going to be that guy getting Rizzo's AB's in those games.

I think that 5-10 starts at 1B, and maybe 30 starts behind the plate is a fair estimate for his playing time. Mix in some almost certain missed time due to possible injuries, he may get about 50 starts.

I'd say that 250 PA's is the high end for him. If he's getting more than 50 starts, in all likelihood, we are having injury problems.
    I'm not so sure Caratini gets the starts at 1st when Rizzo is off. Why not Bryant with Bote going to 3rd? I like Caratini, but I am not ready to suggest they try find some spots for him, like he is this guy they need to get in the line up. I can see him at 1st from time to time, but I also do not feel he is the definite Rizzo back up.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post

I agreed with the first part, but you lost my belief on the second part. I think this team can very much win the central. I do not see this as some sort of a reach to win. As is, IMO, the team has to be at least a co-favorite for the division. And even moving Q, I can see them winning. However, I do not like the chances if all they do is move Q for salary relief. If they move Q then make another deal to replace his inning with a cheaper option, I think the team is, at worst, a co-favorite for the division. If they try to fill the last 2 spots with a collection of guys like Chatwood, Mills, Alzolay, Abbott, Cotton etc, I agree they will not win.

I do like Caratini. I don't trust completely he'd be a good starting catcher, but he was really good last year. If he carries that into this year & Happ/Almora aren't cutting it in CF, I wonder how long it'd take for them to consider throwing Willson in RF. I mean, they were willing to have NC out there last year.

It's really idealistic thinking. If anything, it makes me really wish Willson had come up as an outfielder. He'd be better off out there in the long run and it gets his bat in the lineup everyday. Probably not something that ever gets seriously explored unless they extend him and let Schwarber walk.

I'm not so sure Caratini gets the starts at 1st when Rizzo is off. Why not Bryant with Bote going to 3rd? I like Caratini, but I am not ready to suggest they try find some spots for him, like he is this guy they need to get in the line up. I can see him at 1st from time to time, but I also do not feel he is the definite Rizzo back up.
    Bote was pretty awful at 3b last year grading out negatively in almost every respect (range, errors, arm). The two had basically the same offensive output last year (Bote a 106 wRC+, Caratini a 108 wRC+). Caratini didn't offer splits, either, in offense. So with Caratini, you get a general similar offensive profile, while not moving Brant to a secondary position, and putting someone who was awful defensively at 3b last year.

It also means someone awful like Kipnis has to start at 2b.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-24-2020 at 10:16 AM.

I don't think at all they they are going to try to find spots for him. He's definitely not a guy that "needs to get in the lineup." He's just not that type of player. He's a backup catcher that can fill in at 1B.

Last year, he got 11 starts at 1B, and the year before, he started 9 games. I fully expect him to get 5- 10 starts this year. Who knows....maybe someone else gets some starting action at 1B when Rizzo gets a day off. I think that VC at 1B is a better option in the lineup than Bote at 3B.

Getting 40 scheduled starts and some PH's is what I expect from him, baring any injuries to Willy/Rizzo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Bote was pretty awful at 3b last year grading out negatively in almost every respect (range, errors, arm). The two had basically the same offensive output last year (Bote a 106 wRC+, Caratini a 108 wRC+). Caratini didn't offer splits, either, in offense. So with Caratini, you get a general similar offensive profile, while not moving Brant to a secondary position, and putting someone who was awful defensively at 3b last year.

It also means someone awful like Kipnis has to start at 2b.
    How did Bote grade out the year before at 3rd? Also, I hope eventually Nico is starting at 2nd. And while I am not opposed to Caratini at 1st, I am just saying he is not automatically there when Rizzo is given a day. Yes, if you want to use last year ONLY you are right, Bote is not a guy you play at 3rd or against a lefty. But if you take 18' into account, Bote appears much better against left handed pitching.

How did Bote grade out the year before at 3rd? Also, I hope eventually Nico is starting at 2nd. And while I am not opposed to Caratini at 1st, I am just saying he is not automatically there when Rizzo is given a day. Yes, if you want to use last year ONLY you are right, Bote is not a guy you play at 3rd or against a lefty. But if you take 18' into account, Bote appears much better against left handed pitching.
    Right. But 2018 Bote is awful defensively at 2b and cant hit against RHP, so we can play the same game. 2019 Bote can't hit LHP and can't play 3b. Can't just take the good and ignore the bad either way. Recency bias means it's probably best we skew slightly towards what he was in 2019 over 2018 but with the caveat we don't know what he is. Probably better for the Cubs if it's just 2019 Bote as he'd be a strong side platoon option for a position they need as opposed to the latter which is a short side platoon and defensively good at a position they don't need.

In the end, until Hoerner shows up, the Cubs would be making a mistake by movie Bote to 3b, Bryant to 1b and allowing Kipnis to be in the lineup over just letting Caratini play 1b.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-24-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Bote's splits are unusual over the last two years.

I'm going to say that overall, he's likely not going to have big splits. I don't view him as a candidate to use in any type of platoon role. He's pretty even over his short career.

I think he's a very nice bench player who I don't want to see getting an abundance of starts. Once Nico is anointed the full time starter at 2B, I don't really expect to see him get too much regular action.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Right. But 2018 Bote is awful defensively at 2b and cant hit against RHP, so we can play the same game. 2019 Bote can't hit LHP and can't play 3b. Can't just take the good and ignore the bad either way. Recency bias means it's probably best we skew slightly towards what he was in 2019 over 2018 but with the caveat we don't know what he is. Probably better for the Cubs if it's just 2019 Bote as he'd be a strong side platoon option for a position they need as opposed to the latter which is a short side platoon and defensively good at a position they don't need.

In the end, until Hoerner shows up, the Cubs would be making a mistake by movie Bote to 3b, Bryant to 1b and allowing Kipnis to be in the lineup over just letting Caratini play 1b.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    So in your scenario you have Bote at 2nd. I would agree if Kipnis can't play, Bote shouldn't be moved to play musical positions. Honestly I don't even have a problem with Caratini at 1st. I just don't think it is a given he gets the spot. I, personally, think Kipnis is going to play a lot. I know you hate the idea, you have been very clear on that. But IMO he will play more than any other 2nd baseman, at least until Nico gets up. With that scenario, IMO, it is a flip of a coin to play Bote instead of Caratini when Rizzo sits. And, if you really didn't want to move Bryant, I would guess Bote could do as good as Caratini at first. Either way, not a big deal.

So in your scenario you have Bote at 2nd. I would agree if Kipnis can't play, Bote shouldn't be moved to play musical positions. Honestly I don't even have a problem with Caratini at 1st. I just don't think it is a given he gets the spot. I, personally, think Kipnis is going to play a lot. I know you hate the idea, you have been very clear on that. But IMO he will play more than any other 2nd baseman, at least until Nico gets up. With that scenario, IMO, it is a flip of a coin to play Bote instead of Caratini when Rizzo sits. And, if you really didn't want to move Bryant, I would guess Bote could do as good as Caratini at first. Either way, not a big deal.
    Why would you move Bote to 1b? Has he ever played 1b? Caratini already plays 1b. This is a lot of musical chairs to sit Caratini, someone who posted a 108 wRC+ last year. Just let him be the backup 1b. Someone who has played there. I see no reason today to have it be any other player. We don't have to make a ton of PA's for him, but he's probably our best bench player right now by a decent margin.

The Cubs will be making a major mistake if they let the carcass of Kipnis get more than 200 PA's at 2b. He's a putrid hitter whos barely had the ability to maintain 1 win status in 500 PAs. He might not be as bad as Descalso was in 2019 for the Cubs, but he'll sap wins from this team, a team who doesn't have a large margin of error. We should all hope that David Ross is a better manager than to fall into the Jason Kipnis trap. If he falls into that trap, he's likely to fall into a bunch of other ones - namely, in the bullpen, which I think would be difficult for a veteran manager to navigate the scrap heap pile we have.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-24-2020 at 12:02 PM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

At least Bleacher Nation agrees with me..lol

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...248949760?s=19

Today's lineup vs Mariners

http://twitter.com/GregJohnsMLB/stat...92432834695173

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast