Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Post padding, I know but pending an unthinkable Chatwood trade going down between now and opening day, the Cubs have really only punted the KB decision until the deadline or next off-season. It's not what anyone wants to hear it seems like, but I don't think the idea the Cubs can trade Quintana and find some other equally good and inexpensive starter to take his place is anything more than those dreaded words "wishful thinking."

Come the deadline, trading Quintana ain't gonna be enough money to reset the tax. Realistically, it'll be at least Darvish and/or KB who also go. Kimbrel too if possible.
    I canít take another offseason of doing nothing. One offseason is bad enough... weíve now been through 2 in a row and are moving towards a 3rd. Iím just concerned of what the direction is right now. I honestly think Theo is torn right now too. He didnít get what he thought he should for KB. I think he put all his eggs into that basket and that direction. Once it didnít happen, it was too late to add anything to this team. Again, I really canít see us going into the season with the plan to just trade off at the deadline. I mean would anybody be shocked if this team was in or around 1st place at the deadline? How can you justify trading away guys on a 1st place team? The fans would literally run Theo out of town if he did that. I think they would have about the same anger if he spent another offseason crying broke as well. Now is the best time to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I canít take another offseason of doing nothing. One offseason is bad enough... weíve now been through 2 in a row and are moving towards a 3rd. Iím just concerned of what the direction is right now. I honestly think Theo is torn right now too. He didnít get what he thought he should for KB. I think he put all his eggs into that basket and that direction. Once it didnít happen, it was too late to add anything to this team. Again, I really canít see us going into the season with the plan to just trade off at the deadline. I mean would anybody be shocked if this team was in or around 1st place at the deadline? How can you justify trading away guys on a 1st place team? The fans would literally run Theo out of town if he did that. I think they would have about the same anger if he spent another offseason crying broke as well. Now is the best time to do it.

I agree, it would've been better if they were going to trade KB to have done it now rather than later. It's possible it still goes down, but I don't think Ross would've announced him as the leadoff hitter "conveniently" after KB's sitdown with Theo if the plan wasn't now for him to be here to start the year. Theoretically, it's possible to salvage things. They could trade Quintana now and extend KB. Sure it's punting 2020, but as long as they're willing to spend after this year, they could try and make a serious go for things in 2021 and beyond. The key here is they need to extend KB in the end or it's all moot. The nightmare scenario is they wait till next year to reset instead. It wouldn't be implausible that we see a much bigger blowup with more guys on their contract years.

On the other hand, I'm glad KB is here and winning or losing, I'll try and enjoy him for as long as he's on the team.

Mlb network twice now was supposed to air a replay of cubs game and dont..

So, are we now blacked out from Cubs games on mlbnetwork

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I wouldnt mind Giambrone as the 26th man, I just dont want it to be Hernan Perez or Carlos Asuaje. Both those guys blow
    You're way more likeable

Hoping Almora finally puts it all together this season..
    Be nice if He and Happ could put up some good numbers together in CF
    Almora was trash in the minors. And other than 2017 Almoraís big league statistics arenít particularly impressive either. So Iím not expecting a big breakthrough this season.

Schwarber is the one Iím still holding out hope for. Heís the one that needs to breakthrough for this team to have a chance to win the division.

Bryan has a good grasp on prospects, but sometimes I think he just likes everybody too much if that makes sense. I guess there is a path for somebody like him or Short to make the team. Who gets left off though?

Contreras, Caratini, Rizz, Bote, Descalso, Kipnis, Javy, Bryant, Schwarber, Happ, Almora, Heyward, Souza

Idk. Giambrone has some pop and thatís nice and all, but he doesnít hit for average, he doesnít get on base, and he strikes out a ton. Does that really help us?

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Bryan has a good grasp on prospects, but sometimes I think he just likes everybody too much if that makes sense. I guess there is a path for somebody like him or Short to make the team. Who gets left off though?

Contreras, Caratini, Rizz, Bote, Descalso, Kipnis, Javy, Bryant, Schwarber, Happ, Almora, Heyward, Souza

Idk. Giambrone has some pop and thatís nice and all, but he doesnít hit for average, he doesnít get on base, and he strikes out a ton. Does that really help us?

I'd say that baring any injuries, or some very unusual performances in ST, the 13 you listed are going to be the ones heading east at the end of March. Those look pretty solid......for the most part.

Giambrone was a bad hitter in his age 25 season last year in AAA. I don't really think how well he hits in Spring, much less 1 game in Spring should change anyone's perception of him. He hit a bunch of homers in Iowa. Big deal, who didn't?

Giambrone was a bad hitter in his age 25 season last year in AAA. I don't really think how well he hits in Spring, much less 1 game in Spring should change anyone's perception of him. He hit a bunch of homers in Iowa. Big deal, who didn't?
    IMO if they are going with 5 bench bats the givens are Kipnis or Bote (the other will start), Souza, Caratini. After that it depends on if they want to keep 3 catchers. With Caratini and Contreras each being able to play another position, they might keep Phegley. That said, the last 2 spots will be down to DD, Almora. Phegley and Perez, IMO. I also think they would keep Short over Giambrone, if they wanted a younger guy on the bench. Sometime in May, I would expect Hoerner up for one of those spots.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    IMO if they are going with 5 bench bats the givens are Kipnis or Bote (the other will start), Souza, Caratini. After that it depends on if they want to keep 3 catchers. With Caratini and Contreras each being able to play another position, they might keep Phegley. That said, the last 2 spots will be down to DD, Almora. Phegley and Perez, IMO. I also think they would keep Short over Giambrone, if they wanted a younger guy on the bench. Sometime in May, I would expect Hoerner up for one of those spots.
    The Cubs have kinda missed their opportunity to have a good bench for the time being. CF and 2B are already likely to be pretty big holes in the starting lineup to begin with. The fact that Giambrone and Short being on the roster are even possibilities don't bode particularly well.

The Cubs have kinda missed their opportunity to have a good bench for the time being. CF and 2B are already likely to be pretty big holes in the starting lineup to begin with. The fact that Giambrone and Short being on the roster are even possibilities don't bode particularly well.
    I guess I am higher on Happ and Bote than a lot of people, not named thawv. I do not hate the idea of Bote and Happ given a chance. And then I also do not hate Souza, Kipnis and Caratini on the bench. With the plan to not spend money (which I do hate) I think they did as good as they possibly could have to have a better bench than last year. I realize for that to happen guys they had last year need to step up.
    And, IMO, guys like GIambrone and Short really are not very realistic possibilities. It I had to guess I would say Almora and DD would get the last 2 spots, unless they want Phegley as a 3rd catcher.

Watching the game on Marquee. It looks like CJ is still CJ.

I was in love with him when he came over in the Garza trade. What a bum and wasted talent he turned out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post

I was in love with him when he came over in the Garza trade. What a bum and wasted talent he turned out to be.
    I wouldn't know. Being a Comcast customer, I can't get Marquee.... Sure hope they step up soon, or I am gone.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post

He had some really good years. It seems pretty harsh to consider him a bum and wasted talent.

It didn't work out in the end. But he was also a really useful and important part of some Cubs bullpens during one of the best stretches in franchise history.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast