Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 202
  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    45,830
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    That doesn’t matter. People will not read that stuff. They will see the headline of the article or largest text or loudest voice.
    **** 'em then. If they can't bother to read the actual article and/or do some fact checking of their own (as opposed to believing any big, shiny headline they see), there's already no hope for them.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  2. #47
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    23,596
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Darn Facebook and those pesky Russians!

    I really don't get why people play this angle up. When have political ads ever been anything more than shallow BS, mud slinging, and half truths? Why should Facebook be tasked with ridding people's lies from their platform?

    If you think these sort of things are what led to Trump being our president, you must have the absolute lowest opinion of the intelligence of mankind. If people can't wade their way through lies/half truths on social media and in political advertisements, there is absolutely no hope for society.
    this is where things are right now, people collectively are incredibly stupid and gullible. I'm sure this includes both sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Either care about all of it like a decent human being or shut the **** up and stop selective outrage based on whether it serves your political purposes.

    a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    13,373
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    That doesn’t matter. People will not read that stuff. They will see the headline of the article or largest text or loudest voice.
    Twitter is the bestest though! Amirite?
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    48,640
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    For sure and we're already seeing a lot of hypocrisy from too many Democrats in their support of him.

    But he is a huge part of the problem and we shouldn't let him off the hook. He's choosing to run on his own and he's doing so for all the wrong reasons. He deserves all the blame in the world too, even if the underlying problem is that this is allowed to happen. Your point is 100% true but so is this: **** Mike Bloomberg.

    I hate watching these debates because I cant listen to most of the candidates speak without going crazy, but I'm excited for tonight. If anyone up there doesn't take the gloves off...well...that's disqualifying. I'd bring him up in every answer. Democrats can't pretend to be the moral defenders of democracy and our silly sacred institutions if they can't call this spade a spade. That's the bare minimum. This is infinitely more of an existential problem than anything Trump has done.
    The only reason we’re talking about him is because of a broken system though. The discussion starts with his buying a debate rule change so he can enter, but it goes on to lobbyist and corporate control of our government and on and on.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    73,344
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    I hate watching these debates because I cant listen to most of the candidates speak without going crazy, but I'm excited for tonight. If anyone up there doesn't take the gloves off...well...that's disqualifying. I'd bring him up in every answer. Democrats can't pretend to be the moral defenders of democracy and our silly sacred institutions if they can't call this spade a spade. That's the bare minimum. This is infinitely more of an existential problem than anything Trump has done.
    This more or less happened, or at least as much as it reasonably could've.

    But did Pete unleash any fire on him? I don't really remember.
    PSD'S RESIDENT BERNIE BROTHER

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    This more or less happened, or at least as much as it reasonably could've.

    But did Pete unleash any fire on him? I don't really remember.
    I don't believe so. He was given an opportunity early but pivoted to attack Bernie instead. He seems to be positioning himself pretty well to be the guy Bloomberg eventually throws his support to.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    73,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I don't believe so. He was given an opportunity early but pivoted to attack Bernie instead. He seems to be positioning himself pretty well to be the guy Bloomberg eventually throws his support to.
    Would be the least shocking development. He's slimy.
    PSD'S RESIDENT BERNIE BROTHER

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,048
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Find one poor candidate for president. It's always the wealthy who buy their way into the office. Listen of the people on that stage, Bloomberg is my sixth candidate.

    The mass corruption of Trump is far worse to me than what Bloomberg is doing.
    We all know about Trump's blatant corruption and general awfulness (even many of the people who voted for him do deep down IMO), but I think it's apparent Michael Bloomberg would be just as corrupt as Donald Trump.

    According to Andrew Yang on CNN, a source I think is 100% credible, Bloomberg is calling top democratic donors to tell them to not donate to any candidate because he's self funding and he'll take care of them when he wins. Save your money, I got your back. He has every intention of using the office for his own gain in many of the ways that Trump has. He might not pardon his criminal buddies, but you can be damn sure he would break laws if it benefited him.

    Truly though, we know the damage Donald Trump has inflicted upon our institutions as President and that he has no regard for the rule of law. He lies constantly and has more ethics violations than any President probably since the 19th Century. The reason I say that Bloomberg would be a greater threat to democracy is because, unlike Trump, he would buy the Presidency for the sole intention of enriching himself and that would convince other billionaires to do the same in the future. If Bloomberg could be successful, imagine the people who would run after him. Walton (Walmart), Koch (Koch Industries), Ballmer (Microsoft, LA Clippers) Bezos (Amazon), possibly Musk (Tesla, SpaceX). The working class would have absolutely no hope.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,048
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    The only reason we’re talking about him is because of a broken system though. The discussion starts with his buying a debate rule change so he can enter, but it goes on to lobbyist and corporate control of our government and on and on.
    The fact that he is even allowed to do this is a very good point. If he wasn't doing this, someone eventually would. We have to get money out of politics, this is only even more proof of that. I still say Bloomberg is a greater threat to democracy than Trump because of what he represents. You are right though that it's the system and the big money that makes this thing happen. Thankfully, we have a candidate running for President who has spent his entire life fighting this very corruption. If he wins he will certainly do everything he possibly can to end the abhorrent corruption of our political system, and actually govern for the benefit of the people. That is one of the reasons I support Bernie Sanders.
    Last edited by TylerSL; 02-21-2020 at 11:33 AM.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,084
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerSL View Post
    Truly though, we know the damage Donald Trump has inflicted upon our institutions as President and that he has no regard for the rule of law. He lies constantly and has more ethics violations than any President probably since the 19th Century. The reason I say that Bloomberg would be a greater threat to democracy is because, unlike Trump, he would buy the Presidency for the sole intention of enriching himself and that would convince other billionaires to do the same in the future. If Bloomberg could be successful, imagine the people who would run after him. Walton (Walmart), Koch (Koch Industries), Ballmer (Microsoft, LA Clippers) Bezos (Amazon), possibly Musk (Tesla, SpaceX). The working class would have absolutely no hope.
    Welcome to the political, economic, and cultural hellscape that is 21st century America (by no means really very new in this country’s history, but definitely nowadays broadcast in glaringly high relief).

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerSL View Post
    We have to get money out of politics,
    Never — ever — going to happen.
    Last edited by Crovash; 02-21-2020 at 11:34 AM.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Never — ever — going to happen.
    Call me an optimist or even naive, but I think A LOT will change in the country over the next 30 years, regardless of the outcome of the 2020 election. The baby boomers are retiring, to put it bluntly they will die out. By 2040 the U.S. will be majority minority, and each new generation is more progressive than the last. The state of our democracy today will not be our democracy in the future. The GOP has lost the younger generations and the democratic party is on severe notice.

    I'm not going to say that over the next 20-30 years all problems are going to go away, far from it, but that one way or another massive change in the country is coming. Bernie Sanders and his message have won over young voters for a reason and he has changed politics forever. Politicians will not get away with this **** for much longer, the clock is ticking.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    91,969
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerSL View Post
    We all know about Trump's blatant corruption and general awfulness (even many of the people who voted for him do deep down IMO), but I think it's apparent Michael Bloomberg would be just as corrupt as Donald Trump.

    According to Andrew Yang on CNN, a source I think is 100% credible, Bloomberg is calling top democratic donors to tell them to not donate to any candidate because he's self funding and he'll take care of them when he wins. Save your money, I got your back. He has every intention of using the office for his own gain in many of the ways that Trump has. He might not pardon his criminal buddies, but you can be damn sure he would break laws if it benefited him.

    Truly though, we know the damage Donald Trump has inflicted upon our institutions as President and that he has no regard for the rule of law. He lies constantly and has more ethics violations than any President probably since the 19th Century. The reason I say that Bloomberg would be a greater threat to democracy is because, unlike Trump, he would buy the Presidency for the sole intention of enriching himself and that would convince other billionaires to do the same in the future. If Bloomberg could be successful, imagine the people who would run after him. Walton (Walmart), Koch (Koch Industries), Ballmer (Microsoft, LA Clippers) Bezos (Amazon), possibly Musk (Tesla, SpaceX). The working class would have absolutely no hope.
    Are you saying that Andrew Yang or CNN are the 100% credible source?

    Can you point to any of this corruption that he did when he was the mayor of NYC?

    Also on the note of Andrew Yang, how come he never gets talked about when it comes to oligarchs using their money to get elected? That's the same thing he tried to do. He just wasn't as successful.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!


  13. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    10,600
    Bloomberg going around, in the background, telling his billionaires peers not to donate to other candidates is a rumour that has been running for a few months. Is it likely, yeah, is their proof? I haven't seen it and the people who would know isn't talking one way or the other.

    The latest rumour is that he has release a campaign ads showing the debate going in his flavor through editting. That is the rumour I want to see.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    10,600
    Warren, Buttigieg and Biden are running out of money, is this a result of a Bloomberg's political donors embargo? I am just wondering so don't pin me to this rumour. What ever the reason, it doesn't look good for those three going into super Tuesday. During the debate, Mayor Pete warn of the race coming down to Bloomberg vs Bernie. Which I am for because it will highlight the division within the party prefectly.
    Last edited by WES445; 02-21-2020 at 01:12 PM.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    20,863
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerSL View Post
    each new generation is more progressive than the last.
    The ultimate fallacy. The pitfall every leftist plummets head first into.

    This belief is quite literally what elected Trump. One of the largest factors, at least.


Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •