Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2020 Spring Training Thread

With spring training well into the swing of things, figured it was time to switch out stickied threads.

What are you specifically looking at for your team this spring training? Position battles, impact prospects, late minute signings, or anything else?

Other than the obvious - Gerrit Cole, hoping for good health, etc, I'm looking forward to seeing how Miguel Andujar looks at 1st base/OF.
    Gio Urshela will be the 3rd baseman, but Andujar's bat would be a huge boost to the Yankees lineup imo. He had an excellent rookie year in 2018 then basically missed all last year w a torn labrum. He's a terrible defensive 3rd baseman and my guess is he likely gets most of his time at DH, with Stanton playing LF. But it'd be nice if he could play 1st/3rd/LF a couple times a week to give Stanton/Judge/Voit/Urshela a day or half day off.

Yankees look like they might have SP issues. Paxton out for 3-4 months, Domingo German suspended for 63 games and now Severino is dealing with soreness in his right forearm.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yankees look like they might have SP issues. Paxton out for 3-4 months, Domingo German suspended for 63 games and now Severino is dealing with soreness in his right forearm.
    I appreciate your Road Rash avatar man. Loved that game

Even CC got hurt and he's retired lol

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Even CC got hurt and he's retired lol
    Lol. Vegas has you guys as overwhelming favorites to win that division still. Tampa is tough but they don't have the horses and they probably overachieved last year. The good thing about Paxton and German is that they'll be back by before midseason. Severino's forearm would scare me though.

Lol. Vegas has you guys as overwhelming favorites to win that division still. Tampa is tough but they don't have the horses and they probably overachieved last year. The good thing about Paxton and German is that they'll be back by before midseason. Severino's forearm would scare me though.
    I'll be surprised if Severino pitches this year. Last year he had like 5 different return dates and had a set back every time. Now this.
    He had a really really good 2017 and 2018, then signed a 4/40 extension. Seems awfully low for someone of his age and talent. Wonder if he had a feeling something was up injury wise and took the 10m/yr right then before the Yankees found out and he couldn't get a decent pay day.
    I'm probably wrong, but makes you wonder. He's been hurt the entire time since signing his new deal.

I'll be surprised if Severino pitches this year. Last year he had like 5 different return dates and had a set back every time. Now this.
    He had a really really good 2017 and 2018, then signed a 4/40 extension. Seems awfully low for someone of his age and talent. Wonder if he had a feeling something was up injury wise and took the 10m/yr right then before the Yankees found out and he couldn't get a decent pay day.
    I'm probably wrong, but makes you wonder. He's been hurt the entire time since signing his new deal.
    it doesnt even matter... just get him ready for the playoffs... watching the injuries your team had last year and the phillies had and how you guys still dominated... you will be fine

Nate Pearson

The AL is awful. Its so top heavy. I know some people like the White Sox, Angels, Indians, Rangers, etc to be above .500 teams but i don't see it. The only teams that are making the playoffs out of the AL are some combination of the Yankees, Tampa, A's, Twins, and Houston. The Yankees being the only lock though.

I'd say the Astros are just as much of a lock (if not more) than the Yankees.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'd say the Astros are just as much of a lock (if not more) than the Yankees.
    Yeah, for sure. I don't buy many teams in the AL. Funny thing is that although the NL is far more competitive, an AL team will probably win the WS again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    it doesnt even matter... just get him ready for the playoffs... watching the injuries your team had last year and the phillies had and how you guys still dominated... you will be fine
    I'd prefer not to have to rely on Gardner, Urshela and Tauchman to replicate their strong 2019s. We also had Romine and Maybin both play a big role. Yanks got unexpected contribution from a lot of guys, as well as some guys who just put up much better seasons than expected. Just seemed like whoever got ABs did well. I wouldn't bet on all that happening again this year.

Also, our starting 5 right now would be Cole, Tanaka, Happ, Montgomery and then likely King/Garcia/Cessa/Loasiaga/bullpen game.
    Severino and Paxton are both hurt and German is suspended. Not ideal.
    A fully healthy starting 5 of Cole, Paxton, Severino, Tanaka, German would be an awesome rotation though.

He and others began to sign those team-friendly extensions again likely because of a potential work stoppage when this CBA expires. Better get that money now than potentially waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    He and others began to sign those team-friendly extensions again likely because of a potential work stoppage when this CBA expires. Better get that money now than potentially waiting.
    This is a much more realistic explanation

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast