Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I keep going back and forth regarding our draft. Much has to do with the unpredictability of Rosas. Also it has players that have something to offer but who is going to pan out? Well if I had the ability to know I would have a much more lucrative job.
    But here is a plan A.

First pick: Onyeka Okongwu

Surprisingly for a team who looks to become a high volume three point shooting team, a non shooting big is the gear that this machine is missing IMO.

Okongwu covers our inefficiencies and offers this team BALANCE. Just to be clear the starting lineup that I am going to work with consists of Russell-Beasley-Johnson-Okongwo-Towns.

Let's start with the offense where most people would be wary of him. Our offense revolves around Russell and Towns, with Beasley getting what is left. Adding to that you have an added playmaker forward in Johnson with decent shooting to make things work smoother and offer enough options to not be predictable. Okongwu's role is that of a screen setter (in which he excelled), a cutter (needs a bit of work) and the offensive rebounder (vital when Towns thinks he is a guard).

In D things are more clear. It's very important to the balance I mentioned earlier to keep Johnson or replace him with another defensive "general". Because basically he would be running the show there, having two high energy defenders surrounding him. A wing (Beasley) and a big (Okongwu). Okongwu along with Johnson provide the interior D, strength and rebounding we missed. And in addition they are agile and quick enough to not be hindrances when facing modern offences.

The second first round pick

This is where I start getting a little hesitant. The players that stood out to me other than Okongwu are: Haliburton, Okoro, Vassell, Achiuwa and Bey.

But I think that it would be beneficial if we somehow acquire a pick in next years draft. If a package of our second round pick plus Culver is enough then things are easier. We replace Culver with a better fit, with our Brooklyn pick.
    If the second round pick is not enough and the options we are looking for are already gone, then use this pick in a trade.

The second round pick

Should we keep this pick, which I doubt we will, it is high enough to get spillover from the first round. Players like Patrick Williams, Paul Reed, Jalen Smith, Pokusevski, Jah'mius Ramsey, etc may easily drop to us in that position.

P.s. I will repeat that my favourite player is Haliburton. I believe he fits us but that PF position is a big hole that needs to be filled.

P.s. 2. I have been back and forth regarding Okongwu vs Precious so many times, that's not even funny.

While I want desperately to get defenders, fact is, guys coming out of college with offense listed as a weakness will find a hard time getting rotation minutes in the NBA, especially on a middle of the pack or bad team. Okogie is supposed to be a good wing defender long term, right?

What I am getting at is, if we can get a Booker for the pick and something else, you just do it, and sign NBA defenders. That being said, I am totally fine getting Okangwu with that high pick for example, but I don't think he will see much playing time for a while, which you would expect out of a top 3 pick.

Is Culver expendable yet? I haven't been impressed by him at all really, and think he is about as replaceable as it gets.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    While I want desperately to get defenders, fact is, guys coming out of college with offense listed as a weakness will find a hard time getting rotation minutes in the NBA, especially on a middle of the pack or bad team. Okogie is supposed to be a good wing defender long term, right?

What I am getting at is, if we can get a Booker for the pick and something else, you just do it, and sign NBA defenders. That being said, I am totally fine getting Okangwu with that high pick for example, but I don't think he will see much playing time for a while, which you would expect out of a top 3 pick.

Is Culver expendable yet? I haven't been impressed by him at all really, and think he is about as replaceable as it gets.
    I get your point Hawk. But I am looking for balance. And no matter the style or era, a player like that always has a role. The Rodman of the Bulls, Ibaka for OKC, modern Houston teams often use someone in a similar role.
    But in order for him to work from day one you need a vocal leader next to him like JJ or Covington or Taj to direct him.
    Now if you could trade down and still get him I am all for it.
    Culver could still turn out in a good player. But him and Okogie won't work IMO. I don't mind keeping him for another year but if he could get us a pick for next year's draft I would take it while his value is relatively up (compared to another year like this one)

One of the most recognizable NBA legendary basketball players Kevin Garnett, who spent most of his career in Minnesota Timberwolves, is interested in buying shares in this club after its owner Glen Taylor mentioned that he wants to sell the Forest Wolves.

It would also involve selling the Minnesota Lynx basketball team, three times WNBA champion, as Taylor, who bought Timberwolves in 1994, also owns this club, founded in 1999.

Source: ESPN

Ok let's address the issue. I am afraid of KG running the team. He won't own the team on his own, he won't even be a majority shareholder. But if his group wants to put him in charge of the team... I am afraid.
    Look the team seems to have finally a competent FO with Casson, Rosas, Gupta, etc. I want to see where they are going.

Quote Originally Posted by silverson View Post
    Ok let's address the issue. I am afraid of KG running the team. He won't own the team on his own, he won't even be a majority shareholder. But if his group wants to put him in charge of the team... I am afraid.
    Look the team seems to have finally a competent FO with Casson, Rosas, Gupta, etc. I want to see where they are going.
    yeah I have no interest in KG having actual decision making abilities when it comes to the team itself.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Wow, wolves finally moved up in the lotto. Who do we take at 1?

I say trade it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Wow, wolves finally moved up in the lotto. Who do we take at 1?

I say trade it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I say we "take" Booker with that pick.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    I say we "take" Booker with that pick.
    I dunno how available he will be, Suns looked pretty good in the bubble and he is their clear star with 30/6 per game in the 8-0 run. Obviously pull the trigger if it's there. Same with like any young star essentially if offered/possible and fits even decent.

I hope we are looking around the league at least checking in great guys though for sure. I just don't know if it will be possible. I would move back and collect assets potentially too. I would definitely see what is out there as I am not sold on any individual prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I dunno how available he will be, Suns looked pretty good in the bubble and he is their clear star with 30/6 per game in the 8-0 run. Obviously pull the trigger if it's there. Same with like any young star essentially if offered/possible and fits even decent.

I hope we are looking around the league at least checking in great guys though for sure. I just don't know if it will be possible. I would move back and collect assets potentially too. I would definitely see what is out there as I am not sold on any individual prospect.
    I have a few thoughts about that(it was more of a sarcastic comment on my part):
    1) Booker is just way too expensive considering the money we already have tied up in KAT and DLO, so even if a trade for Booker is there, I'd take a long hard look around
    2) We know who is available, but I don't think I'd go for any of them at this point: Beal, Jrue Holliday, (likely) Ben Simmons, Lowry, CP3, (likely) Oladipo.
    3) Draft wise, I have a sneaking feeling we move back a few spots for a forward, but I personally think it's a mistake. While I don't think Edwards will be the next Wade, or even Donovan Mitchel(two players he is compared to as a ceiling), I think that if his mental evaluations look good, he may be a player in a couple of seasons.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

I admit I am not as in touch with the NBA as I once was, so I am not aware of availability/contracts for guys we could target. Hoping to get back into the NBA a little more next year.

We all know our needs, and timelines of our 2 young core players. So does drafting Ball/Edwards make sense, or does packaging those picks and going after a couple of real players help? Maybe we do make a run at Isaac, Orlando has a ton of salary on the books. Offer them #17/33/Okogie for example. Idk

So let's see our options:

1. Stay put and draft one of the three players projected to be there. I don't like any of them but there are people with better knowledge of bball making these decisions.

2. Draft who we think is a better fit despite projected to be a lower pick. Listen Okongwu and Okoro are not that much of a reach. But with the salary cap being murky, every million counts.

3. Trade down. If Detroit and New York want Ball so much we could maybe trade down and also get us a pick for next year. Something like #1 and #33 for #8 and next year's pick.

4. Trade for a player. Already people are mentioning Booker, Beal and even Giannis... Let's be real. None of those are realistic. I agree with Hawk's proposal. But I don't think it would cost as much. Isaac has had injuries and I believe his price has probably fallen.

Hey guys, I signed up back in 2012 and thought I'd check the messaging boards should any talk arise from the draft lottery last night. So, glad to have won the draft but yeah it is a little meh. Last year with Zion would have been miles better but what can you do.

As for the pick, I'm against Edwards and Ball, as talented as they are, they would be an awful fit with Russell and Towns, we'd be murdered and would end up like Washington. I think Wiseman would be the best fit as Towns can not defend the five but Wiseman can. It will also enable Towns to be more perimeter orientated on the offensive ends which he enjoys. Does wiseman have a three pouint shot? I'f im Rosas, I'm calling him up today and telling him to get ready for the workouts by shootings 1,000 threes a day!

However, I do have my suspicions that Wiseman can be elite but is the same personality as Wiggins? Will see come the workouts if he's put up enough threes.

I would also explore another trade bringing back a SF and a top 4 pick sop we can get Obi but he could end up being another Thomas Robinson, i guess evaluations will need to be done on him as Naismith winners are either hit or miss.

With the 17, I would take who ever is available out of RJ Hampton and Josh Green, both can play and Green is a decent 2 way player who with the right coaching, can be legit. IMO anyway.

It'll be interesting but with our guard situation of Malik B and Russell, I don't see us grabbing another 2-guard and I sincerely hope we aren't stupid enough to trade for Booker because then we will become a slightly better version of Washington but still be pretty bad!
    Last edited by Malik_Sports; 08-21-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverson View Post
    So let's see our options:

1. Stay put and draft one of the three players projected to be there. I don't like any of them but there are people with better knowledge of bball making these decisions.

2. Draft who we think is a better fit despite projected to be a lower pick. Listen Okongwu and Okoro are not that much of a reach. But with the salary cap being murky, every million counts.

3. Trade down. If Detroit and New York want Ball so much we could maybe trade down and also get us a pick for next year. Something like #1 and #33 for #8 and next year's pick.

4. Trade for a player. Already people are mentioning Booker, Beal and even Giannis... Let's be real. None of those are realistic. I agree with Hawk's proposal. But I don't think it would cost as much. Isaac has had injuries and I believe his price has probably fallen.
    Dude, imagine if New York offered us Barratt and #8. I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I don't know what the realistic value is. Celtics traded their first pick to Philly for the #3 and next year's first round pick.

Honestly I am more inclined to trading for Isaac. Him, KAT, D'Lo and Beasley is a good basis moving forward.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast