Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I don't disagree but CP and Wade had star written all over them as rookies. But I agree some guys are 50/50 their rookie years and RJ right now is in that 50/50 space where it's tough to gauge. He has a lot working against him this year in terms of maximizing his play as a rookie. I think there is a path to being a 2-way star for him and you have to feel good about his love for the game and work ethic. He is going to be such a wildcard going into next season. As Knick fans after seeing Frank and Knox pretty much stagnate or regress I think we are a little skeptical of him progressing into a star after a medicore rookie season.
    Itís not wrong to say guys need development, obviously guys are all different. Main thing that concerns me, is that most guys flash that star quality early. Or are totally raw, and need time. RJ is more polished, both body wise, and game wise. I see more ďgood playerĒ than star. Which isnít a terrible thing, just not the home run we were hoping for/needing.

the home of Heavy D, Ben Gordon, Diddy, Denzel washington and me
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Which is why I suggested the Knicks draft LaMelo Ball because he would be perfect alongside RJ
    I think itís BPA at this point regarding the draft.
    You get the 1st pick, your taking Edwards, taking 3rd probably LaMelo, we get Dow to 5th thatís where we will have the harder choice.

Side note,
    Yíall notice that Payton or Randle hardly passes to RJ. Unless they are trapped or doubled.

Dsj or Frank normally looks for him

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Itís not wrong to say guys need development, obviously guys are all different. Main thing that concerns me, is that most guys flash that star quality early. Or are totally raw, and need time. RJ is more polished, both body wise, and game wise. I see more ďgood playerĒ than star. Which isnít a terrible thing, just not the home run we were hoping for/needing.
    He's not gonna be a guy like Luka that takes over the league, but I also don't think Kawhi ever flashed stardom his rookie year (on offense). Jimmy Butler, Siakam, most definitely didn't. I know there is a wide gap between Kawhi and Siakam, but I think RJ has flashed enough where can fit somewhere in between there best case scenario.

He's not gonna be a guy like Luka that takes over the league, but I also don't think Kawhi ever flashed stardom his rookie year (on offense). Jimmy Butler, Siakam, most definitely didn't. I know there is a wide gap between Kawhi and Siakam, but I think RJ has flashed enough where can fit somewhere in between there best case scenario.
    Year two is a big indicator. Usually see a big step forward then. Hopefully some solid improvement on the shot, as thatís the flaw.
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 02-15-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Butler is who I think about the most when it comes to RJ, with a little more playmaking ability. RJ is also ahead of where he was at the same age. I donít think itís that far fetched...basically a B level star and potential top 20 player.

RJ is going to be so good. This team is just not constructed for him to succeed.

Since Paytonís come back, heís basically been relegated to a spot up shooter. That is probably best for the team, but itís not really maximizing RJ or his development.

RJ needs space to operate. Heís a slasher with legit primary ballhandling skills. Such a great passer.

And I wouldnít be surprised if he eventually becomes an above average shooter from deep and mid range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba313 View Post
    RJ is going to be so good. This team is just not constructed for him to succeed.

Since Paytonís come back, heís basically been relegated to a spot up shooter. That is probably best for the team, but itís not really maximizing RJ or his development.

RJ needs space to operate. Heís a slasher with legit primary ballhandling skills. Such a great passer.

And I wouldnít be surprised if he eventually becomes an above average shooter from deep and mid range.
    I agree. I think heíd be better off being point forward the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I agree. I think heíd be better off being point forward the rest of the season.
    Iím just not seeing it

Heís not bad or anything, but I donít see his handle/passing on that level, to be the primary guy

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Iím just not seeing it

Heís not bad or anything, but I donít see his handle/passing on that level, to be the primary guy
    Thereís potential there. It would put less pressure on his scoring a bit.

Future Knick Buddy Hield wins the 3PT Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba313 View Post

i agree sometimes i even forget he's in the game. definitely like him more as a playmaker.

this was just the worst roster for RJ, people talked about how much better the spacing would be for him in the NBA but we managed to put together an even worse spaced roster for him.

not too worried about RJ though, he has the work ethic and drive to succeed.

If RJ reaches his potential he's going to need 3 & D guys around him. right now Randle & Payton control the ball so much, hard for RJ to do much of anything. and so it seems when he gets the ball now he just puts his head down and attacks the rim and shoots no matter what. probably b/c he doesn't see hte ball that much anymore, because Randle won't give it back, and because we don't have many shooters to open space for him. probably a combination of all 3 but i see him passing less and less as the year has gone on.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    If RJ reaches his potential he's going to need 3 & D guys around him. right now Randle & Payton control the ball so much, hard for RJ to do much of anything. and so it seems when he gets the ball now he just puts his head down and attacks the rim and shoots no matter what. probably b/c he doesn't see hte ball that much anymore, because Randle won't give it back, and because we don't have many shooters to open space for him. probably a combination of all 3 but i see him passing less and less as the year has gone on.
    Agreed - but I also think it's on RJ to kind of take over this team and prove he is worthy of constructing the roster around. I hope we make it easier for him next year, but he really needs to take that year 2 leap if we're going to truly start handpicking support pieces to fit his game. Same goes for Mitch.

It would be a mistake to start building around those guys are the core before they prove they are the core. But I do think next year needs to be easier for them to "prove it". Get a better fit at PG, add shooting, and either dump Randle or move him to the bench. And then see if they are the real deal.

RJ definitely should do Skills Challenge or Dunk Contest next year in Indiana for All Star weekend

Agreed - but I also think it's on RJ to kind of take over this team and prove he is worthy of constructing the roster around. I hope we make it easier for him next year, but he really needs to take that year 2 leap if we're going to truly start handpicking support pieces to fit his game. Same goes for Mitch.

It would be a mistake to start building around those guys are the core before they prove they are the core. But I do think next year needs to be easier for them to "prove it". Get a better fit at PG, add shooting, and either dump Randle or move him to the bench. And then see if they are the real deal.
    it's kinda dangerous to have ball dominant players around youngsters if they are not part of the future. Sometimes you just gotta purge a roster and give the young guys a chance.

Remember Monta with Curry? Curry exploded after they traded Ellis going from 14.7ppg to 22.9. And this was Ellis who was dropping 25ppg in an era where scoring was not what it is today. but he didn't really play winning ball and and Curry needed more reign.

Then they moved Lee and Dray exploded.

Maybe that's an extreme example but it's part of the reason I didn't like Morris & Randle. They just control the ball too much, Payton too but at least Payton is more of a willing passer. Randle just plays a very selfish brand of ball.

RJ may not be worthy yet of building a roster around him but at the same time what are we gaining from having Randle & Payton controlling the ball so much? and before that it was Morris. As hard as I want to try I could never envision any of those guys as long term pieces. even if you like Payton he's nothing more then a backup and we shouldn't prioritize a backup PG at this point obviously.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast