Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Of course he can. I have no problem with him saying what he said but itís what he said that could lead to the fallout that I donít think will be healthy for the league.

If he wants to not play then what stops everyone else on those teams to not play? Unless someone has legit injury concerns or an immunocompromised family member then they should play if the required 70 game threshold isnít yet met.

And if they donít want to? Then stay home and not be another potential carrier/distraction. But if they still get paid either way then why would any of the guys show up? Thatís not what the Networks are paying for.

Of course they can have a voice and maybe his is louder than the guys on Memphis (who would be directly affected by a playin) or maybe the players opinions donít matter but I think what heís threaenting to do sets up a bad precedence.

Plus, he didnít say he was scared of getting Covid, he said he didnít see the point in playing if they canít make the playoffs. But heíd still be in Orlando (or wherever) to support his teammates. The only reason the NBA needs to hit 70 games is money related but I guarantee Lilliard still wants his money.

But you know what? If the Blazers donít mind paying him then fine. But it just sets a bad precedence for not only this season but also going forward.
    I feel like the 70 game thing is an arbitrary threshold being enforce but not the most logical solution. Work out an agreement with the stations over them getting to broadcast a play in instead.

I am not sure what stops others, I am not sure if you have seen Ingles/Nance but I think there are some bigger issues involved here too. Playing would put people at risk, there is no denying that even with precautions in place.

Well I guess I ask should everyone in society be sent back to work? I am not sure I have an opinion on this given everything going on but I don't blame others for having one and speaking out. I think 70 games is a really big issue based solely on revenue and not common sense.

I agree with him though in a sense, why make this major risk if the league is changing the standard of competition hurting the chances of teams like Portland specifically? If that is the choice don't pretend it is for anyone's benefit but the $ at the top. The league is greedy not smart or capable of negotiation then. This is not the most logical solution but it might be best to preserve revenue.

I think it would look bad on the league to take an approach focusing solely on $ but I guess that's my opinion so to each their own. I still think there is a point to be made here that the league is being greedy not logical/competative in this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I feel like the 70 game thing is an arbitrary threshold being enforce but not the most logical solution. Work out an agreement with the stations over them getting to broadcast a play in instead.
    Totally on board. I think most teams have played in the mid 60ís so (Iím not sure why, because of the situation weíre in) either the networks donít try to re-coup that money in another way or something. For it to get this far, Iím assuming this is where weíre at.

I am not sure what stops others, I am not sure if you have seen Ingles/Nance but I think there are some bigger issues involved here too. Playing would put people at risk, there is no denying that even with precautions in place.
    I hear about that and if they donít want to come back? Sure. Joe canít just not see his kid for weeks/months and Nance has a legit malady that needs to be protected. I donít know where the cut off is but it ties into the next point.

Well I guess I ask should everyone in society be sent back to work? I am not sure I have an opinion on this given everything going on but I don't blame others for having one and speaking out. I think 70 games is a really big issue based solely on revenue and not common sense.
    I donít think people should be forced back but this isnít what heís talking about. Did you see his quotes? Itís not about his health.

I agree with him though in a sense, why make this major risk if the league is changing the standard of competition hurting the chances of teams like Portland specifically? If that is the choice don't pretend it is for anyone's benefit but the $ at the top. The league is greedy not smart or capable of negotiation then. This is not the most logical solution but it might be best to preserve revenue.
    I understand that. But again, he still wants to be with his team, just not participate in games. He still wants to sit on the sidelines. Do you think heíd want a playin if he was 3.5 games up on Memphis for the 8th spot?

I think it would look bad on the league to take an approach focusing solely on $ but I guess that's my opinion so to each their own. I still think there is a point to be made here that the league is being greedy not logical/competative in this approach.
    I agree with all of that. Making these guys come back and quarantine and uproot their families and have even more potential carriers for 5ish games just to hit their quota is dumb. Real dumb. And greedy. But thatís not his point. He just doesnít want to play if he canít win. That sets a bad precedent for ALL sports.*

*And I get that some teams rest up guys for the playoffs in every sport) or might not want to risk injury in a meaningless game but they have to play out the string but this is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Totally on board. I think most teams have played in the mid 60ís so (Iím not sure why, because of the situation weíre in) either the networks donít try to re-coup that money in another way or something. For it to get this far, Iím assuming this is where weíre at.

I hear about that and if they donít want to come back? Sure. Joe canít just not see his kid for weeks/months and Nance has a legit malady that needs to be protected. I donít know where the cut off is but it ties into the next point.

I donít think people should be forced back but this isnít what heís talking about. Did you see his quotes? Itís not about his health.

I understand that. But again, he still wants to be with his team, just not participate in games. He still wants to sit on the sidelines. Do you think heíd want a playin if he was 3.5 games up on Memphis for the 8th spot?

I agree with all of that. Making these guys come back and quarantine and uproot their families and have even more potential carriers for 5ish games just to hit their quota is dumb. Real dumb. And greedy. But thatís not his point. He just doesnít want to play if he canít win. That sets a bad precedent for ALL sports.*

*And I get that some teams rest up guys for the playoffs in every sport) or might not want to risk injury in a meaningless game but they have to play out the string but this is different.
    Well in part this is what I meant it is all relative to the situation, do you think he would do this if they played it all out and he felt like they had a legit chance as it would normally be?

It can be both a selfish point and a logical one and this case I think it is. I hate the idea of always assuming the worst in others, especially when logic is on their side. The point he is making is legit, this is ALL for revenue and nothing else if they just put on a show for 70 games, they aren't giving any real incentive for players other than a league cash grab. I am not personally a fan of this approach tbh and agree with calling out how it is kinda whack. He might not be doing it in the perfect way but I say instead of some meaningless games have a legit play in. If you won't do that just start playoffs instead of all the unnecessary risk.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Well in part this is what I meant it is all relative to the situation, do you think he would do this if they played it all out and he felt like they had a legit chance as it would normally be?

It can be both a selfish point and a logical one and this case I think it is. I hate the idea of always assuming the worst in others, especially when logic is on their side. The point he is making is legit, this is ALL for revenue and nothing else if they just put on a show for 70 games, they aren't giving any real incentive for players other than a league cash grab. I am not personally a fan of this approach tbh and agree with calling out how it is kinda whack. He might not be doing it in the perfect way but I say instead of some meaningless games have a legit play in. If you won't do that just start playoffs instead of all the unnecessary risk.
    I wouldnít be mad at a playin (theyíre fun and unique in this case and may lead to what MLB is doing). And Iíd be ok with going straight to the playoffs. And if he was afraid for his health because of Covid then yeah, stay home (and if the Blazers want to pay him then cool, itís not my money). I donít have a problem with any of that.

What I DO have a problem with is that he doesnít care about the Covid or if the league hits their quota or whatever. He just doesnít want to play if he has no chance. Where does the sports leagues draw the line? Itís more of a bullying threat than anything. And thatís not cool with me.

But seriously, how do you think heíd feel if he was up 3.5 games and they wanted the Grizzlies to come in as warm up opponents?

re lillard's specific comments....his followup says they took him out of context, he really prefers a playin setup.

Those playing could be considered regular season games and if its deemed the whole league needs more regular season games, top seeds could play lottery teams as their warmup to the playoffs while those playing happen. Regardless of how they do it, compromises are needed or it won't work so the question becomes which compromises are acceptable.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    re lillard's specific comments....his followup says they took him out of context, he really prefers a playin setup.
    Yeah, that was never in question.

Those playing could be considered regular season games and if its deemed the whole league needs more regular season games, top seeds could play lottery teams as their warmup to the playoffs while those playing happen. Regardless of how they do it, compromises are needed or it won't work so the question becomes which compromises are acceptable.
    I hope that they have a playin and I hope he plays (which he will if they do). Playoffs without Lilliard wouldnít be the same.

BUT if every team needs about 70 games (I donít want to add them all up but thatís what a quick look got me) then that would be 158 wins/losses. (I looked it up, hopefully I counted right).

Cut that in half and itís still 79 games that need to be played.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 05-28-2020 at 08:13 AM.

So, at least a month of practice from when they say go before the first game, as much as a month of finishing the regular season, then 2 months of playoffs.

If the go date was June 15 which is probably about the earliest they could go just for the logistics that has the season ending in October then lottery/draft/free agency/training camp and Next season starts in December.

I wonder if the schedule next year will put all the back to backs back in the schedule to get the 70 games in in less time?

Game Info (but not confirmed)

Conclusion of regular season
    Each of the 22 teams invited to Orlando (listed below) will play eight "seeding" games that will constitute the conclusion of the 2019-20 season, with each team picking up its schedule where it left off when the league was suspended on March 11. If a game comes up against a team that wasn't one of the 22 invited to Orlando, or against a team that has already concluded its final eight games, you just skip over that opponent and move on to the next.

Four teams -- the Lakers, Heat, Magic and Blazers -- cannot reach eight games by the conclusion of their schedule for one of the two reasons listed above. The league will likely fill in those four teams' final games by pitting them against one another, though that is not official.

Each team's eight-game closing schedule
    This is not official, but based on the above criteria, it's a pretty safe bet.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/e...d-for-orlando/
    BOSTON CELTICS

vs. Bucks, Wizards, Raptors, Nets, Wizards, Blazers, Grizzlies, Heat

BROOKLYN NETS

vs. Clippers, Kings, Wizards, Celtics, Magic, Clippers, Magic, Blazers

DALLAS MAVERICKS

vs. Suns, Clippers, Kings, Blazers, Suns, Rockets, Jazz, Bucks

DENVER NUGGETS

vs. Spurs, Lakers, Clippers, Thunder, Raptors, Heat, Spurs, Thunder

HOUSTON ROCKETS

vs. Lakers, Blazers, Kings, Bucks, Mavericks, Pacers, 76ers, Raptors

INDIANA PACERS

vs. 76ers, Heat, Suns, Magic, Rockets, Kings, Clippers, Lakers

L.A. CLIPPERS

vs. Nets, Pelicans, Mavericks, Nuggets, Suns, Nets, Pacers, Thunder

L.A. LAKERS

vs. Rockets, Nuggets, Jazz, Jazz, Raptors, Pacers, Trail Blazers,* Heat or Magic*

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

vs. Blazers, Jazz, Spurs, Thunder, Bucks, Pelicans, Pelicans, Celtics

MIAMI HEAT

vs. Bucks, Pacers, Thunder, Nuggets, Suns, Celtics, Raptors, *Lakers or Trail Blazers*

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

vs. Celtics, Heat, Grizzlies, Wizards, Rockets, Wizards, Mavericks, Raptors

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

vs. Kings, Jazz, Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies, Kings, Grizzlies, Magic

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER

vs. Jazz, Wizards, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Heat, Nuggets, Suns, Clippers

ORLANDO MAGIC

vs. Pacers, Kings, Nets, Nets, Pelicans, 76ers, Raptors, Lakers or Trail Blazers*

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

vs. Pacers, Wizards, Raptors, Blazers, Suns, Rockets, Magic, Spurs

PHOENIX SUNS

vs. Mavericks, Pacers, Clippers, Mavericks, 76ers, Wizards, Heat, Thunder

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

vs. Grizzlies, Rockets, Mavericks, 76ers, Celtics, Nets, Lakers,* Heat or Magic*

SACRAMENTO KINGS

vs. Pelicans, Nets, Mavericks, Rockets, Magic, Pelicans, Pacers, Spurs

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

vs. Nuggets, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Jazz, Jazz, Nuggets, Kings, 76ers

TORONTO RAPTORS

vs. 76ers, Celtics, Nuggets, Lakers, Bucks, Rockets, Heat, Magic

UTAH JAZZ

vs. Thunder, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Lakers, Lakers, Spurs, Spurs, Mavericks

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

vs. Celtics, Thunder, 76ers, Nets, Bucks, Celtics, Suns, Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    Game Info (but not confirmed)

BOSTON CELTICS

vs. Bucks, Wizards, Raptors, Nets, Wizards, Blazers, Grizzlies, Heat

BROOKLYN NETS

vs. Clippers, Kings, Wizards, Celtics, Magic, Clippers, Magic, Blazers

DALLAS MAVERICKS

vs. Suns, Clippers, Kings, Blazers, Suns, Rockets, Jazz, Bucks

DENVER NUGGETS

vs. Spurs, Lakers, Clippers, Thunder, Raptors, Heat, Spurs, Thunder

HOUSTON ROCKETS

vs. Lakers, Blazers, Kings, Bucks, Mavericks, Pacers, 76ers, Raptors

INDIANA PACERS

vs. 76ers, Heat, Suns, Magic, Rockets, Kings, Clippers, Lakers

L.A. CLIPPERS

vs. Nets, Pelicans, Mavericks, Nuggets, Suns, Nets, Pacers, Thunder

L.A. LAKERS

vs. Rockets, Nuggets, Jazz, Jazz, Raptors, Pacers, Trail Blazers,* Heat or Magic*

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

vs. Blazers, Jazz, Spurs, Thunder, Bucks, Pelicans, Pelicans, Celtics

MIAMI HEAT

vs. Bucks, Pacers, Thunder, Nuggets, Suns, Celtics, Raptors, *Lakers or Trail Blazers*

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

vs. Celtics, Heat, Grizzlies, Wizards, Rockets, Wizards, Mavericks, Raptors

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

vs. Kings, Jazz, Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies, Kings, Grizzlies, Magic

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER

vs. Jazz, Wizards, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Heat, Nuggets, Suns, Clippers

ORLANDO MAGIC

vs. Pacers, Kings, Nets, Nets, Pelicans, 76ers, Raptors, Lakers or Trail Blazers*

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

vs. Pacers, Wizards, Raptors, Blazers, Suns, Rockets, Magic, Spurs

PHOENIX SUNS

vs. Mavericks, Pacers, Clippers, Mavericks, 76ers, Wizards, Heat, Thunder

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

vs. Grizzlies, Rockets, Mavericks, 76ers, Celtics, Nets, Lakers,* Heat or Magic*

SACRAMENTO KINGS

vs. Pelicans, Nets, Mavericks, Rockets, Magic, Pelicans, Pacers, Spurs

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

vs. Nuggets, Grizzlies, Pelicans, Jazz, Jazz, Nuggets, Kings, 76ers

TORONTO RAPTORS

vs. 76ers, Celtics, Nuggets, Lakers, Bucks, Rockets, Heat, Magic

UTAH JAZZ

vs. Thunder, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Lakers, Lakers, Spurs, Spurs, Mavericks

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

vs. Celtics, Thunder, 76ers, Nets, Bucks, Celtics, Suns, Bucks
    Hey man, this is good info, I'm gonna post it over in the restart thread, I'll give you credit.

I hadnít considered that some of the players on playoff teams this season may just decide to sit out.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...o-restart-plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I hadnít considered that some of the players on playoff teams this season may just decide to sit out.

They just need to do a March madness type of tournament. I cant see these guys playing full playoff series, best out of 7.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    They just need to do a March madness type of tournament. I cant see these guys playing full playoff series, best out of 7.
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

if they forfeit their checks, the cowards can hide anywhere they want

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    According to the NBA they will not fault any players that decides to sit the rest of the season out. That would lead me to believe they will not hold any money back from the players that sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/in...044233912.html

There's going to be a multitude of reasons guys sit. "Some guys are going to say, ĎFor health reasons, and COVID, and the long-term effects that we donít understand about COVID, I want to sit out,íĒ Brogdon said on the podcast. ďOther guys are going to say, ĎThe black community and my people are going through too much for me to basically be distracted with basketball. Iím not going to prioritize this over the black community, Iím going to sit out.í And then thereís another group of guys Ö who are going to say, ĎNo, this is the most amount of money Iím going to make in my lifetime. It doesnít make sense to hand this money back. I can do so much good in my community if I have this money.í

ďI think itís a matter of perspective. I think guys are gathering to really talk about and dive deep into the idea of not playing.ď

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast