Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 231
  1. #196
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    11,832
    lillard brought up the play in idea because the league and nbapa had talked about a 7-12 play in idea.....it wasn't his idea as a way to gain an advantage.....his valid point is they were 3.5 back with 18 to play, so had a legitimate shot....GS wouldn't
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  2. #197
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,003
    POR was 3.5 games behind a team that built that cushion through their play over the course of the season. Just like it sucks for POR that they don't get the full slate of games to try and make up that ground, it would suck for MEM to have that lead they EARNED throughout the season not mean anything because the NBA decided to just put them and POR on equal ground without POR having to actually play themselves into that.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  3. #198
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    11,832
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    POR was 3.5 games behind a team that built that cushion through their play over the course of the season. Just like it sucks for POR that they don't get the full slate of games to try and make up that ground, it would suck for MEM to have that lead they EARNED throughout the season not mean anything because the NBA decided to just put them and POR on equal ground without POR having to actually play themselves into that.
    not sure why you say equal footing....it would be 12 v 9, 11 v 10 playing for the right to play 7 and 8
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  4. #199
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,003
    I don't think it's fair to the 7/8 seeds that over the course of the season they earned leads for their playoff spots and now some other team gets to play them in a neutral site series. The playoff format gives those 10-12 seeds the right to control their own destiny when they didn't earn that. It's not fair to the 7/8 seeds.

    Cutting the season short isn't fair to those teams within range so I get that too. Basically it's an either-or situation. I'd rather favor the teams that played better over the teams that played worse. If you have to pick I think that's the only way to go.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  5. #200
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,176
    I donít like that Lilliard wants to work out and practice but wonít play unless they can play for the playoffs. Either join up and play or stay home. If any player/staff want to forgo their prorated paycheck because of health concerns than thatís one thing but to still show up but throw a hissyfit that you donít want to play for your team? Then youíre just one more potential carrier.

    As far as the playin goes, I dunno. Iím on the fence. I see what hpf is saying but playins are fun. Does kind of suck that one team is getting reinforcements, though. Also, if this was set from the beginning of the year there might be less tanking but as is? I donít think Iím either for or against it. Iím forgainst it, I guess.

  6. #201
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    3,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    I donít like that Lilliard wants to work out and practice but wonít play unless they can play for the playoffs. Either join up and play or stay home. If any player/staff want to forgo their prorated paycheck because of health concerns than thatís one thing but to still show up but throw a hissyfit that you donít want to play for your team? Then youíre just one more potential carrier.

    As far as the playin goes, I dunno. Iím on the fence. I see what hpf is saying but playins are fun. Does kind of suck that one team is getting reinforcements, though. Also, if this was set from the beginning of the year there might be less tanking but as is? I donít think Iím either for or against it. Iím forgainst it, I guess.
    Agreed. Take his money away. But we all know that they would cater to Lillard since he's a star.

  7. #202
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    11,832
    Well don't make it sound like Dame is the only one that would feel this way, he's just the one with balls to voice it so far. Primarily he's frustrated with the fact that if they do NOT do the play-in, limiting whatever regular season games might be played reduces Portland's ability to make up the ground to get to the playoffs.

    To me, the NHL may have it closer to right...just expand the playoffs this year and give those solidly in otherwise byes. I mean, if a 12 seed beats a 9, maybe that's exactly what would have happened if the regular season were played out.

    Some seem to talk like you just delay until you can play everything out normally....which will then just further reduce their offseason before training camps, etc for NEXT season.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  8. #203
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    3,932
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Well don't make it sound like Dame is the only one that would feel this way, he's just the one with balls to voice it so far. Primarily he's frustrated with the fact that if they do NOT do the play-in, limiting whatever regular season games might be played reduces Portland's ability to make up the ground to get to the playoffs.

    To me, the NHL may have it closer to right...just expand the playoffs this year and give those solidly in otherwise byes. I mean, if a 12 seed beats a 9, maybe that's exactly what would have happened if the regular season were played out.

    Some seem to talk like you just delay until you can play everything out normally....which will then just further reduce their offseason before training camps, etc for NEXT season.
    That's fine. NBA players get paid based on revenue. If the team can't generate the revenue and especially in these times + you're not willing to get off your butt because you are sour you won't make the playoffs, then maybe Dame should forego his money to his teammates then. You don't work, you don't get paid. Apparently Dame thinks he's the one who is above everyone. I don't know who else is supporting Dame's position. I just know a whole lot of people, including Dame, would be the first one in uniform if you started taking away their money.

  9. #204
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,175
    Ya I actually think a play in makes the most sense. Shortening the season puts other teams at a disadvantage just like some argue so does doing a play in.

    The difference to me is that a play in actually is just taking the results we do have and extending the playoffs to a few more teams within legitimate range should a full season have happened. Sure there won't be home court or anything but then we can complain no top seed is treated fair etc. there are levels to it. It also eliminates extra risk from the teams that would be showing up just to get it over without a chance at anything legit.

    If we have to make changes, I prefer it be the option where more teams get an opportunity than one where less opportunity is given due to the changes they don't have control over.

  10. #205
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Ya I actually think a play in makes the most sense. Shortening the season puts other teams at a disadvantage just like some argue so does doing a play in.

    The difference to me is that a play in actually is just taking the results we do have and extending the playoffs to a few more teams within legitimate range should a full season have happened. Sure there won't be home court or anything but then we can complain no top seed is treated fair etc. there are levels to it. It also eliminates extra risk from the teams that would be showing up just to get it over without a chance at anything legit.

    If we have to make changes, I prefer it be the option where more teams get an opportunity than one where less opportunity is given due to the changes they don't have control over.
    What happens to the draft lottery if you put more than 16 teams in the playoffs?

    I'm in favor of a play in, btw.

  11. #206
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,175
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    What happens to the draft lottery if you put more than 16 teams in the playoffs?

    I'm in favor of a play in, btw.
    Hmmmm that is not something I considered actually, I just meant from a competitive standpoint play in vs. 70 games...

    I am not sure if you consider the "play in" playoffs technically so to me losing the play in is like "missing" the playoffs even though I do get the idea of they actually were included. I think you consider it as they get the opportunity to fight for the playoffs (with those currently ranked in it but lower seed/within range) so that means whoever loses that play in gets whatever normal odds they would (use standings now but adjust based on actual normal playoffs, team wins they jump into playoff seed and others drops out into lottery even if record is higher because they lost in the chance for playoffs despite that record they never actually made it).

  12. #207
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    11,832
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    That's fine. NBA players get paid based on revenue. If the team can't generate the revenue and especially in these times + you're not willing to get off your butt because you are sour you won't make the playoffs, then maybe Dame should forego his money to his teammates then. You don't work, you don't get paid. Apparently Dame thinks he's the one who is above everyone. I don't know who else is supporting Dame's position. I just know a whole lot of people, including Dame, would be the first one in uniform if you started taking away their money.
    Lillard is one of the most hard working guys in the league and thus far he's only made the comment, as he's not happy with the idea his team may not get what he views as a fair shot at the playoffs. He worked his *** off to keep his team in it all season..........and they've already had money taken away.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  13. #208
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,176
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Lillard is one of the most hard working guys in the league and thus far he's only made the comment, as he's not happy with the idea his team may not get what he views as a fair shot at the playoffs. He worked his *** off to keep his team in it all season..........and they've already had money taken away.
    If youíre healthy and refuse to play because you ďcanít get a playoff spotĒ then stay home and donít get paid. Like someone said here (or somewhere else), these guys donít go home the day after theyíre eliminated from playoff contention.

    Heís a professional so he should act like it.

  14. #209
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    If youíre healthy and refuse to play because you ďcanít get a playoff spotĒ then stay home and donít get paid. Like someone said here (or somewhere else), these guys donít go home the day after theyíre eliminated from playoff contention.

    Heís a professional so he should act like it.
    Why shouldn't the NBA act like a league that is willing to be aware of current situations? Lilliard has an opinion and should be able to voice it. In fact I would say from a logical standpoint he actually has a legit claim. The NBA can force whatever they want but people are allowed to have opinions along the way, especially if their choice negatively impacts certain teams like the 70 game one would.

  15. #210
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,176
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Why shouldn't the NBA act like a league that is willing to be aware of current situations? Lilliard has an opinion and should be able to voice it. In fact I would say from a logical standpoint he actually has a legit claim. The NBA can force whatever they want but people are allowed to have opinions along the way, especially if their choice negatively impacts certain teams like the 70 game one would.
    Of course he can. I have no problem with him saying what he said but itís what he said that could lead to the fallout that I donít think will be healthy for the league.

    If he wants to not play then what stops everyone else on those teams to not play? Unless someone has legit injury concerns or an immunocompromised family member then they should play if the required 70 game threshold isnít yet met.

    And if they donít want to? Then stay home and not be another potential carrier/distraction. But if they still get paid either way then why would any of the guys show up? Thatís not what the Networks are paying for.

    Of course they can have a voice and maybe his is louder than the guys on Memphis (who would be directly affected by a playin) or maybe the players opinions donít matter but I think what heís threaenting to do sets up a bad precedence.

    Plus, he didnít say he was scared of getting Covid, he said he didnít see the point in playing if they canít make the playoffs. But heíd still be in Orlando (or wherever) to support his teammates. The only reason the NBA needs to hit 70 games is money related but I guarantee Lilliard still wants his money.

    But you know what? If the Blazers donít mind paying him then fine. But it just sets a bad precedence for not only this season but also going forward.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •