Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=shorvath721;33390013]That was a good read and exactly my thoughts as well. This year, Cease, Kopech and Rodon will all be treated with caution and if all are back and healthy at a point of the season, I’d expect a 6 man rotation with everyone getting a skipped start here and there, or even some tandem starts we’re guys go 4 innings each.

I agree about Kopech and Rodon....But Cease has to be treated like the rest of the rotation, its time to let him go full tilt. I want to say its been like 3 years since his TJ.

I think they will leave Kopech behind in Arizona to throw sides until late April (mostly because of weather).....Maybe early May.

It's going to be interesting to see how we use pitchers. We are DEEEEEEEP at SP right now.

Giolito
    Keuchel
    Kopech
    Cease
    Gio Gonzo
    Reynaldo
    Rodon
    Dunning

At some point someone has to go to the pen or needs to be traded. Obviously as stated above, you don't really count Gio Gonzalez past this season. That still leaves us 7 deep in 2021. It's a great problem to have though. Way better than being forced to throw the **** we've been throwing on the wall. This rebuild is starting to feel really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how we use pitchers. We are DEEEEEEEP at SP right now.

Giolito
    Keuchel
    Kopech
    Cease
    Gio Gonzo
    Reynaldo
    Rodon
    Dunning

At some point someone has to go to the pen or needs to be traded. Obviously as stated above, you don't really count Gio Gonzalez past this season. That still leaves us 7 deep in 2021. It's a great problem to have though. Way better than being forced to throw the **** we've been throwing on the wall. This rebuild is starting to feel really really good.
    I would add Stiever for 2021 totaion.
    Last edited by Bainsy; 02-19-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Thoughts on Puig coming to the South Side?
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

You can never have enough starting pitching in my eyes, and the last thing I would do is look to trade these guys away. Rodon will be a free agent in 2022, and depending how things go the next year and a half, he might not be returning. Unfortunately for guys like Stiever and Dunning, if the current guys up pitch well, they will be pitching in the minors for another year or two until a rotation spot opens up for them to prove they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Thoughts on Puig coming to the South Side?
    Just reading this, didn't realize how realistic it was. Heard it was us or the Rockies. Assuming at this point it's a 1 year prove it deal, not sure why he's consider us as he'd be platooning likely.

You never know what he's thinking … Colorado probably offers more $$$ but the White Sox have a chance to compete plus I would think be a lot more fun to play for this year. I hope he signs with the Sox because WTF not?
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

The only real negative I could see with Puig is whether or not he would become disruptive if he becomes discontented with his role as a platoon player.

He may go into it feeling like he is ok with it or even thinking he will eventually be full time, and then reality will hit him.

There is that, but unless he is a total moron this White Sox team is built for him. I would think Abreu/Moncada/Robert would all be beneficial to him and help keep him focused.
    I would not guarantee him any big money or years though, and if he F@#$S up - you cut him.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Can Puig, if absolutely needed, play CF?

Just thinking about what flexibility he could add, in the event Robert struggles or gets banged up or just needs to take a couple days off, considering he has not yet played 1 game at the mlb level.

We have seen Jiménez miss some time due to injury and I feel like Puig could easily slide over to LF, but if we needed or had to sit Robert at all, could Puig handle CF? He is only 29 yrs old.

The Sox did put a claim in for Puig in 2016 even though they weren’t awarded him.

I also feel that if properly contained and used wisely, Puig’s fire and emotion could help galvanize a team and be beneficial. But, it would have to remain positive. If the Sox can sign him to a low risk, incentive laden deal that they could get out of if he acts up, then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    I would add Stiever for 2021 totaion.
    Love Steiver but I’ll only talking guys that could sniff MLB action by the end of 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    The Sox did put a claim in for Puig in 2016 even though they weren’t awarded him.

I also feel that if properly contained and used wisely, Puig’s fire and emotion could help galvanize a team and be beneficial. But, it would have to remain positive. If the Sox can sign him to a low risk, incentive laden deal that they could get out of if he acts up, then why not?
    If any team could manage his BS it’s us with Abreu playing mediator, but I don’t think the reward is big enough for the risk of him tainting Moncada, Eloy, Robert. Right now I feel like everyone is humble. You’d be surprised how quick cancer could spread to youth

Assuming that Madrigal is eventually our second basemen, and the Sox carry 13 pitchers on the 26 man roster, that leaves 4 bench spots.
    McCann
    Mendick
    Leury G.
    Adam Engel

I am OK with that bench, although , obviously Mendick and Engel aren't premier players.
    On the other hand, I understand that there is reason to add depth in case of an injury to an outfielder.

I have another angle on this though. My sense is that Mazara would benefit from NOT having Puig on the bench in a couple of ways. First and foremost it would be great if Mazara understands that the Sox have confidence in him as an everyday RFer and that Puig isn't going to replace him after his first hitting slump. Second,a big RH bat like Puig will take away a lot of Mazara's at bats against LH pitchers. That might impede any progress Mazara might make hitting against lefties.
    I think the best approach is to let Mazara hit against both RH and LH starters for the first two months or so of the season, and then evaluate if he is going to be a platoon guy or a decent everyday RFer.
    Not sure if I made sense there but I tried..
    Last edited by garypeters; 02-21-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast