Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Philip Rivers to become a free agent

He should go to New England and replace Brady.

Actually, have to wonder what his expectations were in moving his family to Florida. He says it was time to move his family 'closer to home'...he and his wife are both from Alabama, so I guess that's closer, but did he pick Florida also for proximity to potential new teams?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    He should go to New England and replace Brady.

Actually, have to wonder what his expectations were in moving his family to Florida. He says it was time to move his family 'closer to home'...he and his wife are both from Alabama, so I guess that's closer, but did he pick Florida also for proximity to potential new teams?
    I think it was the state tax thing. Recently a crap ton of golfers did the same exact thing, moved to Florida, claimed it was “more central to the tour”, but kept residence in California. In the process, say Phil Mickelson, saves $15million a year off endorsements and winnings.

So if Rivers is looking to save because of having 9000000 kids, he could be setting up for a big two year deal and post retirement income.

State income tax is paid based on the state in which you earn the money, not the state you live in. NFL players pay tax on their income based on which state the game is played in each week. Tax reciprocity agreements are a thing, but Florida doesn't do that.

With his family history of football and coaching, it is possible or likely that he plans to coach a team in the Florida area. Question is, would he start small (his dad coached high school) or jump into something bigger right away (some kind of NFL assistant/QB coach)?
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Philip Rivers to the Dolphins or Buccaneers I mean it just makes sense especially if he moves his family down to Florida

Also this report:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-of-two-years/

Rivers told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times that he wants to continue his career.

“I can say for certain that if I’m playing, it’s a two-year maximum,” Rivers said. “Whoever the suitors are, I think that would be their hope as well. Because you never know how it goes. Shoot, if we stink it up after one year, I’m probably done. If we play really good, they’ll probably want to go again.

“Certainly you want a chance to win a championship, but it’s not just about that. If you told me right now, ‘You’re going to play for two years, and you’re going to be good. But y’all will not win a Super Bowl. Will you still play?’ Heck yeah, I’ll still play.

“So it’s not like it’s a Super Bowl or nothing. But if it’s a team where it’s going to be tough sledding and they’re two years away from even having a chance, and they led the league in most sacks given up or something, then it’s, ‘I don’t think so, guys.’”

Teams that led the league in sacks taken:

1. Carolina
    2. Miami
    3. Houston
    4. NY Jets
    5. Tennessee

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    State income tax is paid based on the state in which you earn the money, not the state you live in. NFL players pay tax on their income based on which state the game is played in each week. Tax reciprocity agreements are a thing, but Florida doesn't do that.

With his family history of football and coaching, it is possible or likely that he plans to coach a team in the Florida area. Question is, would he start small (his dad coached high school) or jump into something bigger right away (some kind of NFL assistant/QB coach)?
    To add, I believe the signing bonus due at signing is taxed based on residency. Not that it would matter too much being at the tail end of his career.

Or you can have Rivers go to the Giants, Redskins, Bengals, Dolphins, Bears or to the Panthers

Rivers to Indy is pretty interesting with their beefed up oline.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Or you can have Rivers go to the Giants, Redskins, Bengals, Dolphins, Bears or to the Panthers
    Why the giants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Why the giants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With Rivers in New York, Jones can learn under him and honestly Rivers is a better quarterback who would be able to do more with that offense than Jones can. Jones can go right back to being a backup and he can learn more especially since he's still a rookie going into his 2nd year next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    Rivers to Indy is pretty interesting with their beefed up oline.
    Rivers to the Colts is actually quite interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Rivers to the Colts is actually quite interesting
    Brissett: $21.5M cap number, $12.5M dead cap, trade dead cap is $5.5M.

Seems unlikely.

-Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Brissett: $21.5M cap number, $12.5M dead cap, trade dead cap is $5.5M.

Seems unlikely.
    signing Rivers doesn't necessarily mean cutting or trading Brissett
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    signing Rivers doesn't necessarily mean cutting or trading Brissett
    $21.5M backup is kinda yikes.

Plus the whole "is Luck coming back" after that tweet where they said Luck like 10 times.

-Scott van Pelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast