Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 264 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Trump addresses the nation:

https://youtu.be/dcsZjfs2cB4

Pelosi and Schumer adding to the panic

What would have been the purpose of Trump mentioning the shortage of test kits?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer expressed concern that President Donald Trump failed to mention the lack of coronavirus testing available in the U.S. during his Wednesday night, televised national address.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...ress/23947844/
    Last edited by Boyer14; 03-12-2020 at 06:57 AM.

My only thought regarding control is if people are not full-on quarantined, it could easily spread at work, the grocery store, etc. Where does it end if you truly want to contain it?

It almost seems hypocritical if you are not quarantining yourself, but yet you are passing judgement on businesses for continuing their services or you are initiating panic.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Sorry but we're past the point of acting like this is no big deal.
    I haven't read back very far but what people fail to understand is that the damage from this disease is not as much regarding contracting and dying from it. I saw your posts on the last page and I am not saying that lightly. To those who are older or have a compromised immune system, it is a very real fear. It also is for their loved ones.

What I am talking about if far more intense. It has to do with a widespread outbreak that causes things, to halt.
    It has to do with crippling the healthcare system. It has to do with hospitals being so clogged with cases of corona virus that they can't handle emergency cases.
    It has to do with a mass outbreak and the the possibilities of drug manufacturing plants shutting down preventing people from having access to drugs they need to keep them alive or that are necessary parts of treatments.
    It has to do with food processing and manufacturing becoming short staffed and therefore, less food.
    It has to do with the idea that we will likely go into a global recession.

It's things like that.

Ignorance is bliss

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    My only thought regarding control is if people are not full-on quarantined, it could easily spread at work, the grocery store, etc. Where does it end if you truly want to contain it?

It almost seems hypocritical if you are not quarantining yourself, but yet you are passing judgement on businesses for continuing their services or you are initiating panic.
    We can't stop the spread. The fear is a massive spike. If that happens, the **** will hit the fan.
    The goal of the quarantine is to slow the progression so medical facilities can handle it without being over run.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    These outbreaks can be instructive for overall knowledge of public health. In particular showing your immune system the uniform of a potential invader (virus) so that if it ever sees a soldier wearing that uniform it will immediately attack and neutralize it without you ever getting sick. That is a wonderful thing and probably the single biggest achievement in medicine throughout human history. That is what vaccines are. The benefit to risk ratio of them are off the charts in favor of vaccines. If viruses like coronavirus scare you, then stay up to date on your vaccines and your immune system will be running the latest software.

If you still think you should be scared consider this: Doctors, nurses and other healthcare staff are going to hospitals every day. Crowded buildings with tons of sick people. They aren't walking around the halls of the hospitals wearing masks and they haven't stopped going to work. And they are all rolling their eyes at everyone else right now.

Marc Serota, MD

There is no TL/DR. Read all of it.
    This line seems especially absurd given the initial Doctor in China actually died from the Coronavirus.

This Doctor is falling into the same logical fallacy everyone who is trying to downplay this is falling into: they are quoting the numbers right now as if that is all their is going to be.

You think within the first month 30-50 million died of the Spanish Flu? No, it spread. And there were probably morons back then going "it's only 40 dead, nothing to worry about", "It's only 3,000 dead nothing to worry about", "It's only 10,000 dead nothing to worry about" right up until it hit a number we should worry about.

The numbers keep going up. Two days ago it was 4,200 dead. Yesterday it was 4,500. I just checked and it's 4,700 dead. The numbers are still going up.

So please, Marc Serota, MD, please let us know what number of dead we need to hit before you deem it worthy of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    These outbreaks can be instructive for overall knowledge of public health. In particular showing your immune system the uniform of a potential invader (virus) so that if it ever sees a soldier wearing that uniform it will immediately attack and neutralize it without you ever getting sick. That is a wonderful thing and probably the single biggest achievement in medicine throughout human history. That is what vaccines are. The benefit to risk ratio of them are off the charts in favor of vaccines. If viruses like coronavirus scare you, then stay up to date on your vaccines and your immune system will be running the latest software.

If you still think you should be scared consider this: Doctors, nurses and other healthcare staff are going to hospitals every day. Crowded buildings with tons of sick people. They aren't walking around the halls of the hospitals wearing masks and they haven't stopped going to work. And they are all rolling their eyes at everyone else right now.

Marc Serota, MD"

There is no TL/DR. Read all of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Disagree completely with the logic. Other people die of other diseases, so we shouldn't take precautions to prevent this more deadly virus? How crazy is that? I get trying to keep people calm, but this needs to be taken very seriously.

Edit: I'm referring to the entirety of the combined posts, not just this last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    We can't stop the spread. The fear is a massive spike. If that happens, the **** will hit the fan.
    The goal of the quarantine is to slow the progression so medical facilities can handle it without being over run.
    You get it Kink. Great posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    You get it Kink. Great posts.
    Why are you so obsessed that you reply to every coronavirus thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyer14 View Post
    Why are you so obsessed that you reply to every coronavirus thread?
    Are you stalking me?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    This line seems especially absurd given the initial Doctor in China actually died from the Coronavirus.

This Doctor is falling into the same logical fallacy everyone who is trying to downplay this is falling into: they are quoting the numbers right now as if that is all their is going to be.

You think within the first month 30-50 million died of the Spanish Flu? No, it spread. And there were probably morons back then going "it's only 40 dead, nothing to worry about", "It's only 3,000 dead nothing to worry about", "It's only 10,000 dead nothing to worry about" right up until it hit a number we should worry about.

The numbers keep going up. Two days ago it was 4,200 dead. Yesterday it was 4,500. I just checked and it's 4,700 dead. The numbers are still going up.

So please, Marc Serota, MD, please let us know what number of dead we need to hit before you deem it worthy of your time.
    Yup

People keep pointing out the amount of deaths cause by the flu, but the death rate of this virus is much larger, so yeah you want to be an idiot and downplay it all you want but you may end up dead because of it or worse and have love ones and others die because of your stupidity and carelessness.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Are you stalking me?
    You are stalking me, thank you, I love it.

Fan of Red Sox , Chicago Bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA, Joshi Puroresu

2018-2019 UVA Men's Basketball National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    *also people with compromised immune systems (like myself)
    Agreed and good point spliff.

The panic of people raiding stores for toilet paper and other supplies is over the top, and the majority of us should be able to recover if we contract it, but my concern is about exposing it to vulnerable people and why we should take it serious.

The people claiming it's no big deal are the same people who wouldn't adhere to an incoming hurricane evacuation notice and then when they get stuck in a washed out neighborhood put rescue workers in danger, while complaining the government didn't do anything to warn them. Why would you want to be that guy? Don't be that guy.

The Lost Boys of PSD

To all those downplaying it ya you may be right but in all seriousness who wants to be flu sick for 2 weeks or more depending on your immune system. Cool puking ****** in bed feeling like death for a few weeks don't sound bad

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time