Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 231 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    All schools in Ontario, Canada are shut down for the next 3 weeks. Next week is March break but the provincial government announced an additional 2 weeks on top of that. All child care facilities in the schools are closed as well.
    Here is the thing about closing schools and day cares: who is going to take care of the kids? Especially if both parents work? My wife and I both work, we have a 8 month old that goes to a private, in home daycare. What do we do if he canít go there anymore? One of us is going to have to stay home. Now multiply that by about 55 million kids in Americaís school system (doesnít count childcare of kids under school age)...business arenít going to have the people to continue operations, they will have to close if parents are staying home with their kids in such large numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Here is the thing about closing schools and day cares: who is going to take care of the kids? Especially if both parents work? My wife and I both work, we have a 8 month old that goes to a private, in home daycare. What do we do if he canít go there anymore? One of us is going to have to stay home. Now multiply that by about 55 million kids in Americaís school system (doesnít count childcare of kids under school age)...business arenít going to have the people to continue operations, they will have to close if parents are staying home with their kids in such large numbers.

Companies should be working vigorously on contingency plans.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Companies should be working vigorously on contingency plans.
    We had a remote disaster plan in place, a few new employees didn't have modern computers at home so we readied phones and computers and monitors for employees that need them to work from home yesterday, should we need to.

The plant requires people to operate machines on the floor we are going to work a staggered schedule and everyone is already 20 30 feet away so they can't take breaks together.

The good news is most of our night and weekend installation work at tech companies is now being scheduled for daytime work as the facilities are empty, fieldwork is actually increasing from people that want stuff done while they aren't there.

Unfortunately or fortunately my vacation cruise from Vancouver to Alaska in May will soon be canceled, I think I may drive to Yellowstone if they are open.
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    A friend of mine said their gym closed. In Maryland, all of the public schools are closed, and most of the private ones seem to be following suit. Colleges are extending their spring breaks.

So what happens when all of those kids from public schools are out in the malls and the movie theater and all of the restaurants? Parents are either going to have to drop their kids off there, or will going to them not to be cooped up inside. Now, there are problems with both and I'm not looking for a discussion there. But in all seriousness, how long until malls and businesses are forced to close or drastically cut hours?
    I have wondered the same thing. I think they are better off staying in school honestly.

Why are people hoarding toilet paper and bottled water? I don't get it. I went to the store earlier because I needed to get a few things, and people are out of control. It's like people are expecting an apocalypse. I actually needed paper towels, and that isle was completely wiped out. All the toilet paper was gone, but they had a pallet at the end of the isle. I saw one guy put two cases in his cart. There were four packages of nine rolls in each case. He bought 72 rolls of tp! Why?!? Even if you use a roll a week (which is a lot) that is almost a year and a half worth of tp.

I find these people incredibly irresponsible and actually doing more harm for the virus. You are overbuying something you don't really need and causing someone that might actually need these items unable to get them. They could have the virus now and not know it and they could be going to several stores looking for them and spreading their germs everywhere because of your stupid foolishness. I don't get the water hoarding either. I saw several people with three cases of bottled at least. It's like they think the water is going to get contaminated or dry up or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Why are people hoarding toilet paper and bottled water? I don't get it. I went to the store earlier because I needed to get a few things, and people are out of control. It's like people are expecting an apocalypse. I actually needed paper towels, and that isle was completely wiped out. All the toilet paper was gone, but they had a pallet at the end of the isle. I saw one guy put two cases in his cart. There were four packages of nine rolls in each case. He bought 72 rolls of tp! Why?!? Even if you use a roll a week (which is a lot) that is almost a year and a half worth of tp.

I find these people incredibly irresponsible and actually doing more harm for the virus. You are overbuying something you don't really need and causing someone that might actually need these items unable to get them. They could have the virus now and not know it and they could be going to several stores looking for them and spreading their germs everywhere because of your stupid foolishness. I don't get the water hoarding either. I saw several people with three cases of bottled at least. It's like they think the water is going to get contaminated or dry up or something.
    The tp is over the top. But the cases of water is normal. Well it is around here I see people do it all the time.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    To whoever the medical student was that posted the message above, let me reorient your optimism. For context, Iím not a medical student.

Iím a medical oncologist. Iíve been practicing medicine for 17 years. I work on the front lines with some of the sickest people around.

It is true that all respiratory infections can be deadly to older and sicker people. That should not give you comfort right now.

What makes COVID-19 unique is how rapidly and easily it transmits from symptomatic carriers to others, and that we have zero immunity to it since it is a novel virus.

Most mathematical models that calculate outbreak impacts project between 75-150 million Americans will be infected. Most models also predict an approximate fatality rate of 1%.

If those numbers hold up, we are staring at 1 million American deaths from this virus. Let that sink in.

This is not meant for shock value. We still have time (albeit not much) to make major changes as a people to ďflatten the curveĒ of incidence and death by committing to social distancing.

Stay home as much as you can for the coming weeks. Avoid any large gatherings. If youíre sick, do not go to EDs for testing. Call tour local hospital to ask for where to go to be tested before you go anywhere. Go to the ED only if you start to have difficulty breathing.

And above all else, wash your hands well and often.

Letís get our acts together and handle this properly.

Hey there Doc, thanks for taking the time to respond. Those projections are scary, but what is the probability if actually hitting those numbers? I know yearly projections for flu are wrong, mortality rates are overestimated. Honest question, how accurate can these mathematical models be for this strain?

As far as I know, nobody knows what the denominator is with regard to total number of Americans (or worldwide) who have been infected (COVID19 testing has only been a recent development) So we will not have an accurate idea of how lethal it is (implying that those numbers projected above may be too high (and to what degree).

I agree caution is in order (like my med school going to 100% virtual classes). We should know more in a few weeks. With a 14 day incubation period where you can be contagious and asymptomatic, and it can live 4 or 5 days on surfaces, this is nearly impossible to contain. Good hygiene and staying home from work when sick (and canceling unnecessary things like going to a concert) is necessary.

A major problem is that people have moved from being prudent to the collective behavior best known as panic. This is going to overwhelm the healthcare system, especially with a new disease that the population has not faced. Yes, with the transmission rates being in the millions (around the world and domestically) people will get sick on different timelines in different countries. The vast majority of cases (which is again, very likely an under reported number) being mild to moderate.

Let me reiterate two points
    1. This is not nothing. It is more serious than the common cold. Is it more serious than the flu? In terms of mortality rate, it seems so. Is it a pandemic? Most definitely, but it is not Black Death reincarnated. The reactionary movement is excessive in my much less informed opinion than yours (although I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, so I welcome anymore you have to offer)

2. My earlier post (the thoughts of the Immunologist) had some very good points. I dont 100% agree with it, but I felt it warranted posting as it highlights many things we need to take into account

Mitigate unneeded travel, sure. Explain to friends and family how soap works and why washing your hands matters, why wearing a mask when you are not sick wont really help, and hand/face (especially eyes) touching is the direct cause for most. Stay home if they get sick, take fever reducer, and drink fluids. Just like they should always be doing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post

I would not feel bad for these people if they got robbed outside the store. **** them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I still donít give a **** that the economy is tanking, doesnít affect me. If anything, Iím encouraging farther stock market drops so the average person can invest and maybe see a change in fortune. I couldnít care less about the stock market but **** like 401ks being frozen really sucks.

That being said, Trump is still looking like a dumbass. Iím saying not to trivialize the virus, Iím not trivializing the virus, just the socioeconomic affect of it. Big difference not to mention, I posted that comment before NY was in a state of emergency, before large gatherings were being canceled, and before the NBA/MLB/NHL seasons were delayed. The virus has very obviously turned into a bigger deal since I last posted my comment, thereís no arguing that.

So yeah, maybe a tongue and cheek comment about how I think the virus is a Ďblessing in disguiseí isnít the greatest as of today but still, Iím all for the economy tanking and Trump looking incompetent. At the very least, the virus is a blessing so that people actually practice proper hygiene and are taking this **** seriously.

A lot of **** has come out in the past two weeks since I made that comment. The severity of the nature has obviously increased since then. Thatís what people do, they take things more seriously when thereís more information available. You quoting a comment that I made a few weeks ago that has nothing to do with my current post and isnít even me changing a position is a cheap shot and you know it.

Yikes, do you know how the stock market works?

For one, the average person can easily invest in the market. If nothing else, an index fund is a super easy and affordable way for anyone, and they will see the same ROI as most other investors. This isn't the prime Manhattan real estate market, literally anyone can afford if it they have the desire to.

But more importantly, your life is very much affected by the market. Have you heard of the Great Depression?

I assure you really, really, really don't want the stock market to crash.
    And schadenfreude about sticking it to Trump so he looks bad is probably the worst reason I can think of it to be hoping for it.

On the other hand I really liked your other long post about reacting to the panic. I agree we don't really know if we're overreacting or not. Even doctors and the medical community don't know what will happen or how bad it could get. There's no reason to think the vast majority of people under 50 in good health have anything to worry about, but most of us likely know someone who is vulnerable and at high-risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightbottle View Post
    The tp is over the top. But the cases of water is normal. Well it is around here I see people do it all the time.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    I got told that the tp raiding is because everyone thinks itís made in China and the supply is going to or is cut apparently??? Is it just a massive example of fake news/misinformation?

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post

A lot of friends I know in the service industry have been posting about how they're available for childcare while they're out of work. Obviously it's not a perfect solution but there are already a lot of people out of work who more than likely know someone well enough to take care of their kid.

Trudeau made a statement today.

ďNo one should have to worry about paying rent, buying groceries, or additional child care because of COVID-19. We will help Canadians financially,Ē
    https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03...demic-trudeau/

Our PM is known to talk out of his *** quite often so I'm not really getting excited. I hope he proves me wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    A lot of friends I know in the service industry have been posting about how they're available for childcare while they're out of work. Obviously it's not a perfect solution but there are already a lot of people out of work who more than likely know someone well enough to take care of their kid.

Trudeau made a statement today.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03...demic-trudeau/

Our PM is known to talk out of his *** quite often so I'm not really getting excited. I hope he proves me wrong though.
    I heard the PM's wife got the coronavirus, no?

*yes, she did: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...or-coronavirus
    Last edited by spliff(TONE); 03-15-2020 at 02:45 PM.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Id wash my *** off in the shower before id buy that much toilet paper in fear of running out of TP...

Water
    food
    alcohol
    first aid stuff
    canned goods
    books

nothing else matters

You forgot about....WEED.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant